for all the eggheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes...most would be happy to say there is only one of me

redbellybite.........well thought & said..a little patience goes along way

Sometimes people are so hopeless and careless with what they write that it is almost impossible to read, in that case, they should be spelling correctly if they want people to understand what they mean.

if people try great . if they don't they don't. I have better things to worry about .

15 GRAMATICAL ERRORS AND COUNTING!! You people!! 8)

I think you mean 'grammatical' errors. Or perhaps you intended to use the Spanish spelling of the word??:p:)

I don't think bad spelling should be a big deal, however I do support the use of enough puctuation to make a post legible.

I don't know why people have to tell people how to spell things. They can spell how they wan't and put comma's where they wan't. It's not like its a crime or anything.

...the reason letters and commas go in specific places is so that your sentence makes sense to other people besides yourself...this is often beneficial...

...I don't know why people must insist on mathematics being logical either, if 1+1 equals 19 that's my choice to make...

We also need to remember that there are some members of his site who don't have English as their first language.

trousersnake_6 said:
They can spell how they wan't and put comma's where they wan't. It's not like its a crime or anything.

The last few jobs and promotions I've applied for all listed "excellent written and oral communication skills" as an essential criteria. And many people were not succesful in getting interviews based upon their written applications. Several of these were at Taronga Zoo. One applicant got an interview and, as he sat down, one of the interviewers started with the question
"How can you claim to have excellent written communication skills when you can't even spell 'communication' properly?"
At the end of the interview the applicant received his written application back with all his mistakes corrected in red pen.

If you want to get a decent job these days, you either need to know how to spell, or at least use a SpellCheck regularly.

:p

Hix

I can't believe how much attention this thread is getting :lol:

Sorry guys, I have been a member here for a while now and have never come across anyone telling anyone how to spell or use punctuation. I must either be blind or just ignore the malicious content that sometimes appears on the site.

Man, I miss out on all the good things. :(

I can understand the people who hate spelling and grammatical errors. I am one of those, but I also don't feel the need to comment on them. If I had the inclination to be a spelling and grammar Nazi, then I am sure I would use a PM to tactfully inform the person of the error that had been noticed.

I for one do get annoyed with posts that make it very hard to read, let alone understand especially when it is information they are after. At the end of the day, laziness can be blamed for most of the spelling errors. Also, a rush to hit the submit button also comes into play. But, isn't that why we have the edit button. Look at most of my posts and you will see that I have edited it because after a proof read I found an error.

People, let's just take the time to make sense and not act as though we are still in grade two. How hard is it to spell something right, use the right grammar and slot in the correct punctuation?

Anyway guys, that is my two cents worth.

Cheers

FNQ_Snake

Last edited:
I can't believe how much attention this thread is getting :lol:

Long overdue I think Ambah. :)

Just to let you know, you missed the full stop at the end of your sentence. Ha ha.

:rolleyes:

Just jokes mate. I sent you a PM about it.

Just to let you know, you missed the full stop at the end of your sentence. Ha ha.

You sent a PM about a missing fullstop?

:p

Hix

I think you mean 'grammatical' errors. Or perhaps you intended to use the Spanish spelling of the word??:p:)

I don't think bad spelling should be a big deal, however I do support the use of enough puctuation to make a post legible.

Yes :D I got mixed up in Spanish :lol: :lol: :D Hey, you blew the spelling of Punctuation! ...shame on you!! hehe :p

lmao, you egghead! :lol:

Hmmmmm.
I always thought the ones who couldn't spell were the eggheads!
At least thats the way things used to be :rolleyes:

spelling_nazis.png

I got this email sent to me ages ago...

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I like correct spelling and grammer, but this shows (if you can read it) that it's not the be all and end all of a post!

I can read that quite easily and relatively comfortably, almost as quickly as normal text, and a lot more easily than many of the 'regular' forum posts. The grammar and punctuation are good, the sentences are well constructed, the choice of wording is appropriate. The only issue is the spelling, but even then, the letters are all there correctly. I can understand that uesdnatnrd means understand, but I can't for the life of me understand what someone means when they say "Hy bris, cn u txt mi a lytl snk cs im hngy k?".

I think you'll find that "texted" isn't a proper word because "text" is not a verb. The word 'text' is a noun, so it doesn't really have a past tense version. What is the past tense of car, wood, dirt, snake, etc? Because of the colloquial use, text will no doubt become recognised as a verb in the near future.

I don't see many people abusing those who have made posts with poor vernacular. Does it happen a lot? Do I just miss it because I usually don't read the whole post, let alone the responses?

I'm with you on that Sdaji. I hate text language. I think it is like the spin off languages in remote tribes of PNG. Only those tribes know what it means. By that I mean, as long as you are in the right social circle, you can understand it.

As for these forums I believe they should be written in whole words and structured English. Only known and accepted abbreviations should be used. Not the SMS version.

lol you see WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES !!! even when we are trying to be a egghead we come off as a pin head lmao ..............and I have to agree about the text message typo, it is hard to understand if you dont know how to read it , as my young teenage kids type like that to their mates but when they text me they dont .BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.......

lol you see WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES !!! even when we are trying to be a egghead we come off as a pin head lmao ..............and I have to agree about the text message typo, it is hard to understand if you dont know how to read it , as my young teenage kids type like that to their mates but when they text me they dont .BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.......

Of course we all mistakes, there's no shame in that. No one is saying we all need to be perfect, just that we should do our best to communicate effectively, with courtesy and respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back