Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooglabah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hay guys i was just wondering if anybody here free handles there elapids like you would a python (obviously with alot more care)

i got asked the same question by a mate and i said i dont think anybody would and i can see any good reason why they would and that i never will but i was just wondering if anybody does and if so what are the reasons???

I am not game to state what I have witnessed others doing... I don't have a good enough flame suit. But yes there are people that do it... And they are still alive... Well they were the last time I checked!!!

so its generally not somthing your average life loveing herper does

If you mean are there people who let their elapids crawl all over them like their pythons would then yes. Some of them get lucky and don't get bitten. Some of them aren't so lucky and end up in hospital or dead.

I would tell you to search this topic, but.......... most of the past threads are prob deleted ;)

Adrenaline my friend... Adrenaline... Apparently it gives a wonderful rush!!!!

Personally I am NOT that in love with ALL snakes that I would be willing to free-handle anything other than a Python. Not even a live Brown Tree Snake. But that is off topic!!

There are people around who free handle elapids just like pythons, don't expect them to jump on this thread though and say they do.

i would like to hear from some of them who do just pm me i wanna know what they have on hand in case of the worst case senario

There are people around who free handle elapids just like pythons, don't expect them to jump on this thread though and say they do.

I'd be surprised if there are many elapid keepers out there who've not done it at some time. Some of them get over the need to do it pretty quickly. Others don't.

As for what thy'd have on hand....all you could really have is a bandage. Antivenene is prohibitively expensive and has a relatively short shelf life.

fair nuff
i reckon its on of those things you have to try atleast once like free swimming with sharks or parachuting

I'd be surprised if there are many elapid keepers out there who've not done it at some time. Some of them get over the need to do it pretty quickly. Others don't.
QUOTE]

Some do it just because they hate using hooks on their animals and don't see it as much of a problem.

OK OK, I'll tell you all now, I myself free handle elapids all the time, why just in the last two weeks I've free handled a bandy bandy, a swamp snake, and a couple of dwarf crowned snakes....risk taker I know, I just love to live on the edge. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back