frequency of stimsons feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwmgalloway

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im pretty new to reptile keeping and new to this site, read plenty of helpful tips recently but this is my first proper post. Hoping someone can help me with this one. I have a stimsons python just over 1 year old im feeding her around 20 percent of her body weight each saturday night. She is yet to refuse a meal. I know that as they get older the meals should be spaced out further. What i get confused about is the ages in wich they get classed sub adult and adult and so i am unsure of when i should start to feed her at further spaced times? At this age should i be feeding her every 10 days instead? Or even fortnightly? Any opinions would be greatly opreciated, thanks

Keep it feeding weekly and increase food item size as it grows...when they hit there 2nd yr (Adulthood) u will find they go off there feeds during winter so there is no harm in keeping yours being fed at the mo........i Have 3 stimis already off there food with the winter approaching

Yeah i thought it should be okay for now. Theres so many different opinions on what age hits adulthood iv found. Gets confusing lol. Thanks for that

I usually feed my snakes every 5-7 days when 0-6 months , once a week from 6 months to 2 years , once a fortnight from 2 years to 3 years and monthly after that.

Aw really i wasnt sure if monthly feeding would be sufficient for a smaller breed of python?

Aw really i wasnt sure if monthly feeding would be sufficient for a smaller breed of python?
I feed my spotted once a month and she is by no means skinny. Also I have started to decrease the percentage of body weight to feed size as the growth rate slows.

Ahh okay. Im new to it. I havnt had adults before so i didnt take into account when they get full grown i guess they wouldnt need to fuel themselves as regularly?

Ahh okay. Im new to it. I havnt had adults before so i didnt take into account when they get full grown i guess they wouldnt need to fuel themselves as regularly?
Does not hurt to feed ya stimi up in summer.... Like I said when they become adults they tend to go off there food completely through the colder months

I fed my Mac variously 10-14 days when she was a yearling, these days I feed her fortnightly mostly out of convenience (she was 2 last Dec). She happily grubs down 2 x 50g rats which is comfortably just over 20% of her body weight and over summer you could see she was in hunt mode within 10 days. Just bear in mind they are oportunistic feeders in the wild and they will not suffer if you do not feed them religiously every 'x' days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back