Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While moving house we had all of our turtles wrapped in towels for their journey.

After arriving at our new home we put them into their pond and all the towels were checked, shaken and washed in our Fisher and Paykel 'smart drive' washing machine. If anyone has a Fisher and Paykel washing machine, they would know that the wash goes for about 15 minutes and the spin cycle is 1000 revolutions per minute for 6 minutes. Anyway, while getting the towels out of the washing machine (2 days later), my wife Gabrielle got a shock and found a juvenile Saw-shelled turtle in the towels alive and well. It must have been clinging on to the other side of a towel with its claws. I checked it over and apart from being the cleanest turtle I ever owned it was none the worse after it's ordeal. Gabrielle did say that it was swimming in circles for a while but that could have been her imagination.

Poor Turtle!

ohhh, poor little turtle.

i bet his shell would of been like a mirror.lol:D

1/ Up on Cape York in Lakefield National Park near a large billabong. I am normally very observant and looked carefully for crocs, couldn't see any but could see croc sign. There was a mob of wild horses that would make some good photos and I I tried moving into position. The stallion however had other ideas and really looked like he was going to go me so i was giving him a lot of attention. Anyhow, I got within a couple of meters of a 2 meter plus croc before seeing it and only saw it when it bolted for the water.
Didn't require laxatives for a week though the drive back was scarier, sumped the car and only just made it back to cook town

2/ Diving in Harvey bay a looong time ago, looked up and thought " Strange, you don't often see eels in mid water then realized - it was a sea snake and coming straight at me. Even back then animals didn't scare me and i watched fascinated as it swan right up to me and proceeded to check me out. Remember that sea snakes are myopic and come real close, swimming under the arm and between my legs. Bet no one else has had a wild , unrestrained and highly venomous snake check out Frank and beans* from three inches away.
Eventually the snake decided I wasn't dinner, danger or a date and swam off.

*Frank didn't want to come out and play and stayed behind a lot of neoprene ( a full wet suit). But I like the way you think.

Some awsome stories keep em coming its nice to have something to look back and giggle about.

Hmm when I was a little girl (maybe 5 years old or so) I recall an incident on the back porch. I noticed something curled up behind a tricycle and began screaming that it was a snake. Mum's friend was visiting and he moved the tricycle to reveal the 'snake' which was actually a blue tongued lizard! The neighbour had loads of them living in their backyard and one had wandered over onto our porch and decided to take a nap there.

The incident obviously didn't have any long-lasting psychological effects though, as I love lizards and snakes :D

Wild diamonds in Qld? Interesting!!

you wouldn't understand unless you go to bellthorpe, but I am tell absulute trueth its cold up there in amongst the clouds, and there is alot of unfamilar animals and trees that grow and live up there its a hidden wonderland and its got the most rarest wild life ever seen and recorded, theres more animals, snakes, and plant life that hasn't been discoverd.

you can beleive me or you can check it out for yourself. I do know what a dimond python look like you know! The temp is much more colder in a rainforrest in QLD than anywhere else its bloody freezing most of the time with a seldem warm day.

jody

My late Cape York Belle use to sit on the chair for hours....... she liked this chari with all the bars on the back of it and boy didn't she hate having to go abck to her cage. Well one day she decided she had enough sitting where she was and she crawled into my parents shopping bag. This bag is one of those enviro material ones but it had my Dad's Tony Ferguson diet stuff in it. Mum had realised that the diet shakes she asked for weren't right so she picked up the bag to go down the shops and aks for the correct ones. She wondered why the bag was so heavy but just headed on out the door. About two mins later, Mum comes screeching into the driveway. She realise Belle was in the bag. I couldn't stop laughing- the thought of Mum handing the abg to the shop and going off at them really tickled me. So she gently puts the bag down and i tried to get Belle out of the bag, who was reluctant to leave her bag. She ended up wrapping her tail around a milkshake packet and while i was pulling the bag, as was she, it tore and chocolate milkshake powder went everywhere.

I had an incident where Brutus my big Coastal decided to lift up my boxers during a photo opportunity and the pic was taken with my left butt cheek hanging out.

Simone.

hmm
well last hols(i think) i was coming back from this lake thing and there was this HUGE lacy that decided to race straight in front of the car.
so my brother done a bit of a skid and just missed it then it ran straight up a telephone post and just hung straight up the top.
we waited for it to come down (not it pic it up to have a better look) but after about 10mins of waiting ii didnt think it would come down so we left.
its not that funny but i didnt think a massive lacy would be able to do that.

I was posted to Townsville (army) in 1994 from Sydney and like most southerners I was completely ignorant to the incredible danger that salties posed.
I would fish sitting on floating pontoons with my feet dangling just inches above the water, I even sat on mud banks just as close.
All the while I thought that I would see it coming either bodily, ripples, bubbles or some sort of other tell tale sign.
Well the loss of a leg and two thirds of my lower intestine educated me real quick! :shock:
Ooops sorry that was to relieve any readers boredom (I wasn’t taken).

We went to the croc park up that way (sorry I can’t remember the name of it? Billabong sanctuary?). Anyway we did the tourist thing and watched a croc handler give this speech about how there was a 5mtr male croc (I couldn’t see) in this enclosure and a 3 mtr female (she was guarding her nest site).
He was explaining how the big male was somewhere in front of him (submerged) waiting for him to make a mistake. So here I was all six foot something of me surrounded by Japanese tourists my wife and kids and I am thinking to myself bull_hit there’s no croc in there! I couldn’t see any “bubbles” or “movement” and the dam looked too small to have a croc that big in it! (remember I am an expert on these matters :rolleyes:).
The croc handler went on to say lets see if we can get him to show himself! So he hits the water with a broomstick “well paint me pink and call me roger” this damn head the size of a semi trailer straight from Jurassic park exploded from the water and me being the big bronzed Aussie I am let out a very audible girly squeal (no offence) followed by the horror movie jump in the air, then I followed up with a few expletives for effect. Damn if I didn’t have every Japanese tourist turn to take my photo.
I have a lot more respect for crocs now!

Cheers
Dave

PS – that’s right! My name isn’t Roger. :lol: (and no disrespect intended to jungle_freak) ;)

At the end of last year when I was living in my old place I arrived home from work to realise I had locked myself out...again. (now I cary my car keys and house keys attached) Anyway, breaking in wasn't a problem. I was training a German Shephard pup at the time to be a guard dog and he made me proud, he was about 8 months so was a good size with a deadly bark. I knew he wouldnt bite me though so I lowered myself and gave him a pat.:lol: Went to the back window that was one of them old windows made up of like eight sheets of glass that were horozontal. I took them all out and climbed into the room. My crocodile tank was pushed up against this window so I had to climb over it, this was the same week my lid was having work done to it so I had to climb over it with a crocodile taking aim and jumping up at my privates. :lol: Anyway, when I passed that obstical all in one peice I laded on the floor to find out that Tarz my 8ft plus Diamond cross had escaped his enclosure and was sprawled out on a mission in the middle of the small room standing up too look at me.:lol: At that point I figured if any would be theif had gone through all that to roll me they deserved to take what they wanted. :lol: It was lucky timing, I would have been shattered if Tarz and the Croc had of met...:( But they didnt, thank god. :) PS the security system at the new place is even better :lol:

Some good stories here!

My family used to do wildlife rescue and from any one time we could have 3 or 4 kangaroos and a carpet snake and echinda or anything. So I've got so many stories about nearly any type of animal. But reptile-wise I've got a few:

- We had a Siamese cat who hated snakes, caught a whiff of them and he was gone, anyway we had a red-belly back who killed off about 3 lots of chooks and kept coming far to close to the house (with me at about 6 and my brother 3 yrs old) So one day dad knocked it off and had it coiled up outside the back door. After mum had gotten home and had the desired reaction, we decided to lift the still sleeping cat and drop him over the snake. Anyway i learnt that cats can movie forward pushing off the air as he somehow landed a meter forward of the snake without pushing off anything.

- That same snake was under my special swing in the back gum tree once and mum came out and called for dinner. Upon closer inspection, she made a horrified sound and keep screaming "swing higher, dont stop!! SWING HIGHER" as underneath me was the infamous red belly black snake!

- When i was 8yrs old our family (from New Zealand who have NO snakes and fear the word snakes) went to the Bunya Mountains (QLD) and had lunch at a little restaurant/cafe. I decided to go to the toilet with was a little block near the forest edge. Anyway upon exiting the toilets i spotted a 7ft carpet snake coiled in the leaves next to the door. Being the "fearless nature boy" my parents raised, i picked it up and slung it around my neck and went to show my family. Needless the say the entire restaurant evacuated and my New Zealand family don't trust me still! (That was the same meal i so diligently commented on the lady at the next table... "I thought only men had mustaches") :shock:

hehe.. enjoy

Jarrah

So he hits the water with a broomstick “well paint me pink and call me roger” this damn head the size of a semi trailer straight from Jurassic park exploded from the water and me being the big bronzed Aussie I am let out a very audible girly squeal (no offence) followed by the horror movie jump in the air, then I followed up with a few expletives for effect.
haha that was a good one =)
When I was little I was fascinated by the little house geckos, but i didn't want it to touch me.
One time mum caught one to put it outside so that the cats couldn't eat it, and I asked her if i could hold it. As soon as the little guy was in my hand I screamed and started crying and dropped the gecko who promptly ran off into the garden. :lol:
Who woulda though i'd go on to have reptiles as pets :rolleyes:

I've got one......

A guy walks into a pub and as he sits down on a stool he notices there's a lizard telling jokes on the stage.

The guy says to the barman "What's with the lizard"

The barman replies "Oh he's the stand up chameleon

So I spose I started this thread and everyone's stories have been great, but I realised I haven't put one up so here goes.

Just after we had gotten my sons lil stimmie we went to bunnings to get some stuff, I was still a lil shaken coz when I went to pick her up the guy that had her had death adders and browns and the most beautiful RBB i have ever seen, anyway back to the story. We were walking down the aisles outside where the pavers are etc anyway out of the corner of my eye I saw this large Goanna Falling from the sky I thought I was seeing things and realised at the last minute it was real and let out the loudest squeal much to my husbands and the 2 hire a hubby guys buying pavers amusement, they were almost on the ground in hysterics. It was trying to get at the sparrows nest in the metal roof framing but just couldn't understand that claws don't grip metal, poor thing.
The next was when I picked up my coastal off steve we drove in the driveway and relised there was a snake there so I was handed my girl in her lil bag and hubby got out to move it. what made it funny was that my hubby put on the whole crikey look at this lil beauty for my son but didn't realise all the people going to the local shops had stopped to watch this crazy man bouncing around needless to say some old chook had a chuckle in passing. Poor snake though later found out some teenagers had got to him before we got home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back