Fussy snake - braining pinkie rat, or dip in egg yolk?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did the one that didn't make it die, mate? I have been leaving her between feeding times. I'll wait until next Friday or Saturday.

i think your doing the right thing taking all the advice well hope all goes well for you in another 5 days. But remember they can go a LONG time without food and it may be 10 or 15 days before sucess. Just dont pull all your hair out in the mean time. keep us posted :)

Just on a personal experience mate.... after relocation it took me 3 weeks to get my jungle to start feeding again. Keep doing what jungle_freak has advised you. Everytime you offer her a feed and she get's stressed out it's like hitting the reset button, patience and perseverance.

Last edited:
Yeah everyone, will do. The only thing I'm worried about right now is the small water bowl that's in her click clack. I doubt it will last a week and I don't wan to keep opening it up to refill it every few days. I might try the bottom of a 1.25 litter pump bottle when the first one has dried up, that way I am only going in there when I have to.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted. Gunna try her again next Saturday.

She should be fine to go a few days on a dry bowl. For minimum impact wait till she's in the hide and do the water with minimum movement of the click clack.

I've been quickly checking every day by lifting the shirt off the click clack. The water level seems good. Can't see too well but it looks dirty, dunno how... It was fresh when I put it in and there's nothing filthy in the click clack. Apart from that she's been untouched since Saturday. So Sunday morning 1 am I'm gunna try to give her another pinky.

Do you guys suggest me waving it around and trying to get her to eat it on Saturday night or just popping it in the click clack and checking in the morning? I am hoping she eats this time. If not I'll be beyond frustrated/devo'd.

Waving it around will only cause more stress, your python will associate the stress with the smell of the food and guess what... it wont want to come near it let alone eat it, just my opinion though... I'm no snake.

My fussy jungle tells me when she wants to eat, not the other way around! The only time she will accept food is when she is hanging down in an S-shape ready to ambush. I use this as my key to thaw out a rat, if I try and feed any other time I am just wasting rats. Sometimes she will go 2-3 weeks without food then she will assume the ambush position, I offer food below her head and she always slams it and eats it, (maybe I feed a second rat while she is in the mood, it depends on the size of the rats), then I wait (sometimes weeks) till she shows the same behaviour then I know she is ready for another feed and I defrost another.
Remember that snakes are made to go for long periods of time without food, they can handle it so try not to stress that your snake is going to starve and let it chill out so it can get hungry on its own accord.

Did you ever have anything that your parents would try and force you to eat because they put it on your plate? And you didnt want to eat it... then they stopped trying to force you to eat it and years later you tried it and actually liked it because it was on your terms??? Same thing is happening here.

Be patient...like a snake is

your snake may have peed in the water if it is discoloured, sometimes they think its funny to do that :lol:

Last edited:
Lol, I thought snakes had a cloaca, so when they went to the toilet a mixture of both comes out like birds? The reason I want her to eat is because I want to hold her. I know it's stupid, but that's why I'm frustrated right now. I just got this thing and I can't even look at it.

I've been quickly checking every day by lifting the shirt off the click clack. The water level seems good. Can't see too well but it looks dirty, dunno how... It was fresh when I put it in and there's nothing filthy in the click clack. Apart from that she's been untouched since Saturday. So Sunday morning 1 am I'm gunna try to give her another pinky.

Do you guys suggest me waving it around and trying to get her to eat it on Saturday night or just popping it in the click clack and checking in the morning? I am hoping she eats this time. If not I'll be beyond frustrated/devo'd.
if you see the water is dirty then of course replace with fresh clean water,
also when you offer food just place is in front of the hide entrance a hour before dust, then leave over night.
waving food arround will sterss a very fussy eater,
so just place head end of fuzzy mouse at entrance, then check next morning.

Once she has eaten like this, all you need to do is put the food item at entrance to hide ,
they will strike and pull the food item back into the hide to eat in the "dark" privacy of the hide.

Last edited:
Ok but whenever I see her (which isn't often because she's in the cool end and the water is in the middle and I only pull the shirt far enough back to see the water) she's on the perch. I have aspen in the click clakc, is it ok to put the rat on the aspen or if she ingests some of it could it be bad? I can't see how a tiny bit would hurt, surely they eat bits of crap stuck to prey items in the wild.

Its ok to replace water , just dont touch her .

What was she feeding on before you got her ? then offer that food item to her. trying to change her food onto something she is not used too is not a smart move untill she is settled.
Once she has settled in eating a few times for you then you can try to change her to another food item if you need to.
I myself never use aspen for hatchies , but as far as i know its ok.
i only use paper towel or news paper.
For the reason they might injest the substrate etc So i dont risk it..

Yeah I understand the newspaper thing. It's just that a bag of aspen came with an exo terra I bought and I don't buy newspapers, lol. I'll change the water in a little while.

I am FAIRLY sure she was on pinky rats, because tue breeder gave us a bag of them and they are the same size as the pinkies I have now that are rats. The mice are noticeably smaller. Can pinky mice get as big as pinky rats? Also, the male eats the rats without a drama, so I guess that's what they were on.

Well I have a panadiene box... I have just used the bottom of the water bottle for a bowl (I just moved out of home to start uni, I don't have souffle dishes, lol)

How are the op shops in Ipswich? I grabbed a great little ceramic dish from my local op shop for a dollar. You can sort of see it in some of the pictures I have here.

Good luck getting your snake to feed.

I dunno what they are like, I thought op shops were just for clothes? Thanks for the well wishes, I'll check your pics out :)

I went to top up the water and I found it wasn't dirty, it just looked that way through the glare of the click clack. She was on the perch, but her head was down, a little stretched out and resting on top of the hide. Is this downward hunting? I opened it up and she retracted her head, didn't try to bite or anything, topped up the water and shut everything back up.

Is this a good sign she is getting hungry?

I dunno what they are like, I thought op shops were just for clothes? Thanks for the well wishes, I'll check your pics out :)

Op shops have all kinds of things. As well as clothes I get household goods there all the time. I often find things that are brand new and still in their original packaging for much less than in the store.

She won't ****ing eat. I am so over this snake.

Have you considered that it is something that you are doing wrong and not the snakes fault?

I haven't read most of the replies but the ones I have don't mention temps.You mention that you are using a 5W heat mat which to me sounds about as useful as a pocket in a singlet.
What are the temps? In particular during the early hours of the morning 6-7am?

I have told everyone here that I cant monitor temps because the equipment I have is in the terrarium. I have followed all the advice/

She won't ****ing eat. I am so over this snake.

Not sure if it's just me but the above statement tells me maybe your up to par on looking after reptiles.

I have told everyone here that I cant monitor temps because the equipment I have is in the terrarium. I have followed all the advice/

You seriously need to know the temps of what your reps are living in to successfully raise them. Pretty sure 100% of members will agree.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's just me but the above statement tells me maybe your up to par on looking after reptiles.

You seriously need to know the temps of what your reps are living in to successfully raise them. Pretty sure 100% of members will agree.

I think you're trying to say "not up to par" funny when idiots leave out key words, rendering their point mute. It seems to me that you're misreading my comments. I am frustrated and I took it out on here, big deal mate. I am doing everything in my power to follow advice given and I have followed it precisely. The click clack set up has been known since I made the damn thing.

I have said that I only have enough equipment to monitor the terrarium. Members have told me to shove her in a click clack with a heat mat and do a "dry run" or whatever to make sure sure she wouldn't over heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back