Fussy snake - braining pinkie rat, or dip in egg yolk?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sara, I wouldn't have tried anyway. Her being cage protective is the last thing I'm worried about. She's VERY placid and I'd rather cop a bite and have her feed, then move her around unnecessarily.

i had to do what sara said when i first got my spotted python
had to cover the outside off the enclosure with newspaper then it seems like one big hide with the other little hides in the enclosure too
and she ate straight away
if it was me id be paying alot of attention to jungle freaks comments as he has bred them many times im guessing and would definitly know how to get one feeding
well im off to bed and i really hope for your sake and the snakes sake it gets eating for u soon :)
goodluck and happy herping

yeh i had the same problem with the spotted annoyed the hell out of me for weeks and weeks
but as many members on here have probably said or u might have read snakes can go a while without food
so i wouldnt worry too much unless u see its body form dropping (going skinny etc)

hope u get it eating :D
thanx shaye

Well smigga, think about this...

I am a Uni student with no job, I have just spent the best part of 6 grand relocating and getting set up.
My Uni is 55 killometres from my house. That is a 110km round trip per day. Fuel is $1.60 per litre.
Then I have rent
Then food

I would have the money for a $5 thermometer, BUT I had to buy an altenator and pay for a cab to do a round trip.

$5 is a lot of money when you don't have it, so I don't appreciate the comment mate, I'm doing my best. I'm buying a heat mat with a thermostat next week, so please don't be so critical.

Sorry mate, i guess i have never been in that sort of situation before so i dont have the grounds to say that.
The divider idea is a great idea just cover up the sides like others have said and be patient and persistent.

No dramas mate. $5 isn't a lot of dosh, but it is when your car ****s itself. I'm just glad I'm mechanically minded, otherwise I would have been completely up the creek.

Just so I know, what is "Braining" lol Is it a whole egyptian ritual or something? lol

It's where you cut open the head and expose the delicious brain and its juices. Apparently even most fussy snakes find it irresistible. I mean who wouldn't :p

Well my snake doesn't seem to like the idea too much. I might try the snakebytestv method next time I try to feed her (scent with tuna and put rub the pinky all around a small plastic cup with a lid, then pop her in there and leave it) apparently it's meant to overwhelm the snake.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think "overwhelming" an already stressed snakey is the best idea. Don't stress it will happen you just need to wait

My coastal hatchy didn't feed for me, I left it completely alone for 3 weeks, mind you I didn't try to feed it every week. I made sure it was hungry and it took the rat. It was feeding on mice previously too.

You're lucky SL. I had a hatchy Bredli go for about three or four months when I tried moving him to rats. He just would not take them. He's only just started taking rats that haven't been mouse scented in the last month

Well my snake doesn't seem to like the idea too much. I might try the snakebytestv method next time I try to feed her (scent with tuna and put rub the pinky all around a small plastic cup with a lid, then pop her in there and leave it) apparently it's meant to overwhelm the snake.

You have Junglefreak helping you, Pay attention to what he is providing in the way of assistance and forget about everyone else's advice.

You dont seem to grasp the process at all! remember its the snake that is suffering!

You're lucky SL. I had a hatchy Bredli go for about three or four months when I tried moving him to rats. He just would not take them. He's only just started taking rats that haven't been mouse scented in the last month

I do consider myself lucky. I've never had any difficulties with feeding my snakes and if I do then I always do the same thing which is leave them for 2-3 weeks at a time.

You have Junglefreak helping you, Pay attention to what he is providing in the way of assistance and forget about everyone else's advice.

You dont seem to grasp the process at all! remember its the snake that is suffering!

Mate, I have been doing everything Roger has told me. I'll keep persevering. I see what you're saying about overwhelming her. I'll just keep continuing until it works :)

Saximus, noted buddy. Cheers.

Alright... this is how i got mine started on the 3rd week into not feeding. Braining plus scenting.
Brained the mouse and I shoved some cockatiel feathers in there, the soft downy stuff. Took it first go... week later brained mouse... week later mouse.

ARE you serious ?
Ive told you exactly what to do and to stick to that advice
but you cant even control yourself ?
in that you panic everyday and try different feeding methods .

You cannot leave the poor jungle alone long enough for it too get over being stressed by all your actions etc

in case you did not no this ??
pythons that age can go 2 or 3 months without a feed before you need to panic like your doing ??????????????
leave the jungle alone for christs sake man

ARE you serious ?
Ive told you exactly what to do and to stick to that advice
but you cant even control yourself ?
in that you panic everyday and try different feeding methods .

You cannot leave the poor jungle alone long enough for it too get over being stressed by all your actions etc

in case you did not no this ??
pythons that age can go 2 or 3 months without a feed before you need to panic like your doing ??????????????
leave the jungle alone for christs sake man

I am sticking to your advice.

Just a thought... if the aspen is quite thick it might be acting as an insulator, preventing the heat from passing through to the enclosure. another thing is that jungles are predominantly arboreal (live in the trees) so it might not feel safe coming down to the floor to heat up on top of the heat mat. [I wasnt sure if you have acually put her in the other enclosure with a heat lamp]. If its still in the click clack maybe you could try taping the heat mat to one of the sides by its pearch so it can decide to go to the warm side of the perch or the cold side... as I say, just a thought.
SO... WHAT ARE YOUR TEMPERATURES???????????
If you havent already got a thermometer because you cant afford it yet (it seems you havent got one yet as there has been no mention of your current temps) PM me your address (if you are comfortable with that) and I will have one sent to your house/work... knowing your temps is critical and without this knowledge people cant help you any further, no matter how many ways you try and flavour your mice/rats- its as simple as that.
I really want this to work out for you and especially for the hatchie.

I took the hatchy back to the breeder and got a strong feeder mate. He has just shed tonight and I'll be trying him tomorrow. I got payed today and was at the vet, where I was going to buy a thermometer, but they only had a $40 one with two probes. Will be buying one tomorrow. Cheers.

Very interesting point about the aspen, too. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back