Fussy snake - braining pinkie rat, or dip in egg yolk?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will do, I'll just cut a hole in my floor pan and flintstone it down to the local store, then I'll threaten them with a snake bite if they don't give the thermometer over ;) In all seriousness, I will get a THERMOMETER.

Smithers, what's with the dots?

Was gunna comment but gave up

I am open to constructive criticism mate. The thing is, I followed the advice, I have been waiting a week between attempts, I just decided not to waste a fuzzy.

I will be buying this in a few days. Anyone know where I can get one close to Ipswich? I'd rather not wait for it to get shipped. I'll continue using the 5w. I know it isn't hot enough anymore, because I put my hand in the tub on saturday night and it wasn't anywhere near as warm as the terrarium.

Reptapets Heat Mat with Heat Control 12w - $54.90 : Reptile House Australia, Welcome

Trent ,
I never said to use tongs to feed and watch what happens ? That situation would corse more stress ?
I told you to leave food item at entrance to hide and check the next morning .
Sorry if you feel like we are not helping your situation ?
But we all are trying ,,,,, because we want the jungle to feed and thrive .

I do feel like you're helping mate, your info is golden! It's just that you liked the post where the fella said I should sell my snake.

I have tried leaving it at the front of her hide to no avail, it was just because I had a thawed out fuzzy that I decided to attempt to feed her out of the weekly routine. As I said, I put her back in the terrarium (I know it's not ideal, or even remotely appropriate, but she wanted in because she was cold ((im assuming))), and she was up on the vines near the heat mat, and I wanted her to know that the rat was there and didn't want to scare her with my arms, so I made some (pretty cool :) ) tongs out of a coat hanger and wafted it infront of her and she struck and I left it. She was investigating it for over an hour afterward, I don't know what this means?

Jungle_Freak, you offer great advice, I just don't want to sell my snake. Thanks for your input mate.

heat lamp*** not heat mat.

Ok if she does not take the food, then leave her alone for 5 more days, then offer food as i said,
You really need to be patient and stick to my routine.
But get your temps sorted asap.
Correct temps a vital.
You will eventually get the jungle feeding . Try not to stress out too much yourself ok.
Roger

cant believe what ive read in this thread. ive read advice from some of the most experience breeders on this site. ive read that this advice has been followed to the letter, but with alot of things that have been ignored. im still waiting to read what temperature this snake is being kept at, as advised by Ramsayi, and all advice followed excatly as advised by Beeman and Jungle_Freak. i believe this snake will feed if all of this advise is followed. if you cant manage this snake give it to someone that knows what their doing

so you dont have a thermometer of any type in your house? even a standard thermometer will let u check temps. You say you have put it into an enclosure with a heatlamp now, how do you know it wont be too hot in there???

Ipswich Pet and Aquarium incorporating Risson Produce

They are just in Hooper St, so not far from you. They have a reasonable range of rep stuff. Not sure if they stock that brand, but maybe phone them?

Thanks Michelle! I appreciate that. I have my car sorted now so I'll go there :)

A thermometer is like $5?

Well smigga, think about this...

I am a Uni student with no job, I have just spent the best part of 6 grand relocating and getting set up.
My Uni is 55 killometres from my house. That is a 110km round trip per day. Fuel is $1.60 per litre.
Then I have rent
Then food

I would have the money for a $5 thermometer, BUT I had to buy an altenator and pay for a cab to do a round trip.

$5 is a lot of money when you don't have it, so I don't appreciate the comment mate, I'm doing my best. I'm buying a heat mat with a thermostat next week, so please don't be so critical.

cant believe what ive read in this thread. ive read advice from some of the most experience breeders on this site. ive read that this advice has been followed to the letter, but with alot of things that have been ignored. im still waiting to read what temperature this snake is being kept at, as advised by Ramsayi, and all advice followed excatly as advised by Beeman and Jungle_Freak. i believe this snake will feed if all of this advise is followed. if you cant manage this snake give it to someone that knows what their doing

The click clack WAS fluctuating between 29 and 32 degrees! The right temperature that was needed. It is now cold. I initially did a "dry run" and temps were within adequate levels, and this is what was suggested. I can't constantly monitor temps in the click clack, but I did in the beggining.

Ok if she does not take the food, then leave her alone for 5 more days, then offer food as i said,
You really need to be patient and stick to my routine.
But get your temps sorted asap.
Correct temps a vital.
You will eventually get the jungle feeding . Try not to stress out too much yourself ok.
Roger

Thanks Roger, I appreciate it mate. I'll leave her be. In regards to temps, I have an idea......

She REALLY likes the terrarium. I know it's silly and hatchies like click clacks, but she seems really content in there. The terrarium has two doors, left and right.

If I could somehow seperate them by a divider down the middle, and had the heat lamp directly in the middle so the heat was shared equally I could monitor temps and she could be in an enclosure that she likes.

Is this a stupid idea?

Last edited:
If I could somehow seperate them by a divider down the middle, and had the heat lamp directly in the middle so the heat was shared equally I could monitor temps and she could be in an enclosure that she likes.

That could work.
If the terrarium is the type that has a sliding glass door at the front, wedge some newspaper or something between the glass. Snakes (not even hatchies) have escaped that way before.

Your male is probably too fat to get through, but your female could.

Good luck

I had the same problem with my diamond. In the end i had to start breeding my own mice and feeding live pinkies etc until he started to take the frozen ones. He would not take either rats or mice even when i brained them or wiggled them. I also had him on aspen bedding, which on occasions he did get stuck in his mouth. I would suggestputting the food on paper, just to avoid it and otherwise just keep a close eye on it when its eating. I just got a wooden sqewer and used it to flick the wood out.

That could work.
If the terrarium is the type that has a sliding glass door at the front, wedge some newspaper or something between the glass. Snakes (not even hatchies) have escaped that way before.

Your male is probably too fat to get through, but your female could.

Good luck

Lol, he is a little fatty :) The glass doors aren't sliding doors, they just swing open. So If I got something to divide the terrarium, I'm sure it would work. Anyone got any ideas for what do use to divide the terrarium?

I had the same problem with my diamond. In the end i had to start breeding my own mice and feeding live pinkies etc until he started to take the frozen ones. He would not take either rats or mice even when i brained them or wiggled them. I also had him on aspen bedding, which on occasions he did get stuck in his mouth. I would suggestputting the food on paper, just to avoid it and otherwise just keep a close eye on it when its eating. I just got a wooden sqewer and used it to flick the wood out.

I hope it doesn't come to that mate.

I was bored and went to a good pet store here today, as it was close to a place I had to visit. Anyway, I spoke to the owner and told him about my snake and he said that she could be going into early hibernation, and they hibernate for four months!

If I keep the heat up, will the hatchies hibernate? IS it possible that my female is going into early hibernation? When they do hibernate, do they sleep continuously for the whole winter in their hides, like bears?

I want to get her fed if she is going to hibernate soon.... Four months is a long time when she hasn't eaten for a month already, I'll end up with a scaly pencil.

Last edited:
I wasn't intending on turning the heat down, but I told him they were on 24/7 heat and he said they can still hibernate? He also said he wasn't the best one to ask, there is a young zoologist there and she is really helpful, but she was helping another customer. Thanks saximus.

In the wild would they hibernate as hatchlings due to weather?

They don't hibernate, they brumate :p. I don't know what happens in the wild but most people just don't do it in the first year. You don't have to do it at all unless you plan on breeding them.

Older snakes tend to brumate regardless of temps (especially the males), this is because they have breeding on their mind rather than food. It's not something that is likely to occur in such a young snake. And it's certainly not something you want to try to force in a young un-feeding jungle. Not saying that's what you're trying to do, just making a point.

It's just that I've tried this a fair amount of times and the more I do it, the more timid she gets. I think she's scared. So I'm not sure to approach it like that, or to just leave it there, brained.

Anyone have any insight on the aspen?

Sorry don't use aspen but I would suggest feeding in another container or at least on the floor, that way to will get used to coming out to feed.

that said I feed one of my snakes in its enclosure. Last night I tried to feed her and she didn't want to know about it. I jiggled it and ran it along her body buts he wanted none of just wanted to get past the mouse so she could come out and play. so I gave up. Wait a little longer before trying again. Unless it has been way long time since the last feed I would worry if it won't feed now. when it is hungry it will take the next offereing.

Good luck.

No offence jackrabbit, but kawasaki- do not try to put this jungle into another container to feed, it's just going to stress her more.
She's in the exoterra now right? If she's in an enclosure with transparent sides I'd try covering them up with newspaper or a towel. It'll help to make her feel a bit more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back