Gasing Rats With CO2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased some adult breeding rats, although I only have 1 snake Im sick of my snake missing out on her weekly feed just because either pet shops or the supplier is usless.

So any way, I couldn't bring myself to knock the young over the head so I'll use CO2
So I was just wondering how to do it? Some pics of the setup would be good if you can.
Do I just use the canisters (?) for Soda Stream machines from the supermarket?

I did a search but couldnt see anything like that, maybe Im blind, sorry if this has already been done.

Thanks, Dan.

You can use a mix of vinegar and bicarb to create CO2, I found it didn't work that well at all, but it may have just been the ratio I was using or the way I had it set up, I'm not sure, though I know a few people use that method with success.

I just knock them on the head now instead.

Gday Dan,
Yes you can use the soda bulb cannisters and the apparatus that they fit into with the trigger and the nozzle. Get a coffee jar with plastic lid and put a hole in the lid that the nozzle fits into. Put rat in jar screw on lid and inject gas. If its a big rat that practically fills the whole jar then use at least one full bulb maybe two. Keep your finger over the hole until dead.
The smaller the jar the better.

I never even bothered with vinegar and bicarb, sounded too messy and too much hassle, and probably would cost a fair bit to continue doing.

I just went straight for the sodastream, ive had it for a few months now and it still hasnt run out. I just put a length of tube onto the nozzle, direct it into a bag (which has had most of the air already squeezed out) then press the button once quickly. I found a bag works much better than a container.

This brings them to the drowsy stage then I just give it one or two more presses - in about a minute there is no sign of movement, but leave them in for at least 10 minutes to make sure.

Will get photos tomorrow if you like.

Thanks VixenBabe, sounds easy enough! Will try your method.
And its fine thanks won't need pics, thought it would be more complicated than that!

There are plenty of ways of going about gassing rodents to death, Don't use the bicarb/vinegar method (the fumes it gives off is distressing to the animals) look on ebay for a nitrous cracker, (used by people who inhale nitrous whippets!!) it is made of plastic or alloy and pierces a soda bulb, you twist it to regulate the gas flow, drop it in a container with the animals you want to gas and bob's your father's brother. very useful for smaller numbers of animals,

heres my bicarb-vineger gas setup that i have been using for years,.with a bin bag i can gas around 50 rats at a time for the cost of about 50 cents. it is quite quick when done properly with the air squeeze out of the bag first and everything seeled up properly.

Last edited:
the best way is to hire a bottle from BOC . it's about $165 a year . drill a hole in a bucket the same size as your hose,put it in ,turn it on and thats it.

heres my bicarb-vineger gas setup that i have been using for years,.with a bin bag i can gas around 50 rats at a time for the cost of about 50 cents. it is quite quick when done properly with the air squeeze out of the bag first and everything seeled up properly.

slimbo, what amounts of vinigar to bicarb do you use? like, 1:1? 1:4?

It seems a little excessive to hire a bottle the size of a water heater, when you only have the one snake?

a bit of common sense would tell you to use a brick untill you needed to upgrade to a c02 bottle

You can use a mix of vinegar and bicarb to create CO2, I found it didn't work that well at all, but it may have just been the ratio I was using or the way I had it set up, I'm not sure, though I know a few people use that method with success.

I just knock them on the head now instead.

CO2 isnt really any more humane than knocking them over the head if thats what youre going for, it actually suffocates them rather than putting them to sleep and you hear the animals you are gassing gasping for air. Knocking them over the head is probably much quicker and less traumatic for them....assuming this is what you are concerned about and Im also assuming this is what caused the statement " it didnt work that well"

Make your self a little death machine like this , works beautifully .... a quick squirt today and 6 mice were dead in 5 seconds , no mess , no hassles .

Attachments

• Picture 1024.jpg
    Picture 1024.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 129
Here's another quick bi-carb example for you....

Dickyknee's way is awsome!

MD

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 86
This costs about $20 delivered from the US, It will kill a bucket full of rats with 1 soda bulb (that you can buy at any supermarket) and you can fit it in your pocket....

Attachments

• 25c6_1.jpg
    25c6_1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 68
CO2 if done properly, should have an anaesthetic affect first, then if continued they will die from lack of oxygen (all in a very short period of course). With research rodents it is recomended to introduce gas slowly to container (or bag) then when they pass out, add some more gas.
Each culling method may be stressful to different people in different ways but as long as the method is quick and efficient, each to their own preference.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back