Gasing Rats With CO2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha anyone tried a vaccuum? I mean, using a jar and sucking all the air out?

Is it legal? Or cruel.

I use the pinch method. Just hold the little fellas in my hnad press my thumb behind its head and push for ward like you are pushing 20c pieces of a pile in your hand.

You will hear or feel a pop and the job is done.

No messy bowls and bags (sometimes a dirty hand but meh!).

Oh did I mention quick and instant?

FNQ snake, I would think it would be cruel, I think CO2 works better as it kind of knocks them out first.

Your method of popping/squishing/pinching is actually a good method for pups (adults too if your strong enough and quick enough) and is more ethical than head knocking (according to animal research ethics commitees).

Kim

dickyknee, looks awesome! and professional lol
I think ill stick with something like that, other than making my own CO2, too much hassle, nice and easy with the sodastream machine.

FNQ, I think It would be a bit cruel with the vacuum as it would suffocate them too slowly, if your a diver, ever tried taking a breath from the regulator when the tanks empty or not connected? would be like that, horrible feeling. Atleast CO2 dazes them first, puts them to sleep, then kills them.

Make your self a little death machine like this , works beautifully .... a quick squirt today and 6 mice were dead in 5 seconds , no mess , no hassles .

That is a good way to do it i will look in to doing somthing like that

As for the death machine, it looks pretty cool. I might have to whip out the old soda stream on the week end and have a go.

:)

FNQ Snake, sucking the air out of a jar is just that, sucking all the air out, no CO2 left, nothing. It would be the equivalent of a human going into space without a space suit, their eyes would pop out, and so on. Not nice. Have you ever put a glass over your mouth and sucked in? After some sucking your lips start to feel like they're getting bigger and are being pulled into the glass, it's quite painful.

FNQ Snake, sucking the air out of a jar is just that, sucking all the air out, no CO2 left, nothing. It would be the equivalent of a human going into space without a space suit, their eyes would pop out, and so on. Not nice. Have you ever put a glass over your mouth and sucked in? After some sucking your lips start to feel like they're getting bigger and are being pulled into the glass, it's quite painful.

No dramas, it was just a query. Thanks for the answers guys. :lol:

CO2 isnt really any more humane than knocking them over the head if thats what youre going for, it actually suffocates them rather than putting them to sleep and you hear the animals you are gassing gasping for air. Knocking them over the head is probably much quicker and less traumatic for them....assuming this is what you are concerned about and Im also assuming this is what caused the statement " it didnt work that well"

Actually it is not the same as suffocation. As I understand it the gasping for air reflex is triggered not by the lack of oxygen being inhaled but by the lack of carbon dioxide being exhaled. By gassing with carbon dioxide this reflex is not triggered and the victim more or less just shuts down without the associated distress

CO2 isnt really any more humane than knocking them over the head if thats what youre going for, it actually suffocates them rather than putting them to sleep and you hear the animals you are gassing gasping for air. Knocking them over the head is probably much quicker and less traumatic for them....assuming this is what you are concerned about and Im also assuming this is what caused the statement " it didnt work that well"

You're quite right, when I tried the bicarb and vinegar method it didn't actually kill my rats, just made them a bit wobbly on their feet, and after a few attempts(with different setups) I gave up because it was obviously more traumatic for the rats than anything. This is why I stopped trying that and started using a brick, it's quicker and less traumatic for them. I forget now why I tried the CO2 to start with.

by the 'brick' method you mean hitting a rat on the brick right? not impaling the brick into the rat? my assumption is you mean the clonking method, am i correct? if not what is your 'brick' method?

cheers, Daniel.

by the 'brick' method you mean hitting a rat on the brick right? not impaling the brick into the rat? my assumption is you mean the clonking method, am i correct? if not what is your 'brick' method?

cheers, Daniel.

Obviously clonking. there would be nothing left hitting the rat with the brick matey..

so all u do is get a brick and crush there heads?

No. You take the rat by its tail or put it in a bag or however you want to do it, and swing it at a brick so its head hits it... it's pretty much lights out straight away.

so all u do is get a brick and crush there heads?

Hold the rat by the tail and whip its head into the brick mate. Dont need to get brain all over the place if we dont need to..;)

Ive tried most of them and personally find CO2 the most humane..

Are you prepared to quarantine Flagyl and Worm every new mouse/rat you buy.
Feed it top quality grain and greens.
Whack it on the head or go and buy a Co2 bottle and regulator from BOC or any other suppliers, gas it then keep it in the freezer for 6 weeks.
If not buy them from a reputable reptile/pet shop.
As if you have 5 or less snakes it,s a waste of time ort if you get attached to animals you end up with an explosion of rodents.
so be careful.

This is my gassing chamber
21082008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back