Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dimi1987

Reaction score
Hello everyone
smile.gif

I am from Melbourne Victoria.

I have recently become extremely interested in gecko's and other lizards in general, although i have had a slight fascination with them for most of my life as i enjoy collecting insects and other small animals.

At the moment i am trying to set up my very first gecko enclosure for a Marbled Velvet Gecko (Oedura marmorata?) since i have been told its a good gecko to start on as its easy to look after compared to others. And maybe later on i may think about breeding.

I am still getting used to the whole scientific name thing as i didnt realise there are so many types of gecko haha
icon_biggrin.gif

I look forward to doing alot of searching and alot of research. I learn quickly so if you wish to add anything to help me out in the process please dont hold back
smile.gif

I am only using a fish tank ( 60cm x 30cm x 30cm) atm but i wont get into detail on the first thread as i wrote a bit much already
smile.gif

Cheers!
Dimi

Welcome! Good Luck with the Geckos, they are a wonderful species.

Make sure you use the search bar at the top of the page, its really helpful.

Cheers guys! ive been doing as much research as possible and things are going well so far :) The enclosure is pretty much ready.

Gotta wait for the license to go through though before i get the gecko :( the wait is about 3 weeks i hear and i will be sending it in either today or tomorrow hopefully.

the wait will most likely be longer than that :(
i had to wait 6 weeks!! i was not happy, you have to remember they are busy at the moment because of the bushfires so try and be patient.

You'll have to post some pics of the enclosure once it's finished and fully furnished with those beautiful animals :)

I really hope it doesnt take 6 weeks... that would seriously be a killer of a wait :( especially since ive pretty much got things set up already (just about)! Ready for the gecko to jump in and have some fun! :p

woot! it only took like 1 week for me to recieve my licence! :O i Just got my gecko today. I decided on a southern spotted velvet gecko because there were no marbled velvet geckos around and these guys looked just as cute :) .

I found out he wasnt able to climb the glass so what ive done is take all the sand out and lay down newspaper, and made it damp and also sprayed some water on the glass to raise the humidity. I think its from not shedding properly as the enclosure he/she (i think its a he but his pretty small still)was quite dry besides the bowl of water so we'll see how we go.

Hopefully the gecko will be climbing walls in no time :) .

i'll get some pics up possibly 2moz for you all to see and hopefully some measurements aswell. And if i can, a underbelly shot to see if anyone can help identify its sex.

i'm very happy with it all overall.

I must agree that gecko is a little cutie... Have fun with it... How old is it???? also when it comes to sexing them you cant really tell until a certain age, (thats what everyone keeps telling me) .. I got my licence through this morning so i went out and got my 2 lil geckos.. i went with the underwoodisaurus milii (thick tailed gecko).. They seem to be doin well =)

Congratulations on your Southern Spotted Velvet Gecko (Oedura tryoni), they are a very cool species.

Make sure the lids escape proof :p

i don't know how long it takes to get a license in melb, but mine took 10 mins on the QLD GOVT EPA website ;-)

I must agree that gecko is a little cutie... Have fun with it... How old is it???? also when it comes to sexing them you cant really tell until a certain age, (thats what everyone keeps telling me) .. I got my licence through this morning so i went out and got my 2 lil geckos.. i went with the underwoodisaurus milii (thick tailed gecko).. They seem to be doin well =)

Thanks Bella i will have fun with it :D. I'm not sure exactly how old it is to be honest... cant be too old cause its fairly small still and apparently the pet shop i got them through just got them in so i wanted to be quick and get one before it had to live too long in the pet shop. I saw some thick-tailed geckos at the shop also and they also looked really nice so good luck with that also!

Congratulations on your Southern Spotted Velvet Gecko (Oedura tryoni), they are a very cool species.

Make sure the lids escape proof :p

Thanks and yes ive spent a bit of time making sure the lid wont be compromised as i made it out of perpex since the fish tank im using didnt come with a lid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back