Gecko Advice! ! ! ! ! !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Ok well im going to be getting an exo terra 45x45x45 enclosure and plan on putting a pair of geckos in it. I was wondering what pair of geckos would go well in it and what would i need to have to begin a breeding program. This will be my 1st ever attempt at breeding reptiles and i want to know what it requires for geckos. I was just wondering about the best breeders the enclosure, needs and wants ;P and the needs to begin breeding (male female obviously) but i want to know like do i need an incubator or whatever . I was thinking about aboreal geckos because they are awesome ;P Spiny tails or velvets or golden tails im just really interested in getting into breeding geckos. :D:D

Also if you have had experiences with breeding geckos like what substrate you used for them what hides that kind of stuff what was their daily care that would be awesome. !!

Cheers Zac

hey zac, i used to breed marbled geckos and they were incredibly easy. i have the same size exoterra enclosure with a sand substrate, a few hides, water bowl etc, i didnt plan on breeding them, they just did it themselves. depends on the species as to whether or not you will need to incubate, marbleds are found down in southern vic and they bred quite well without the need for you to remove the eggs, they did it just by burying their own eggs in the sand where my substrate heater was. I havent bred any other geckos so someone else will need to help you out there but for starters then marbleds are a good way to go.

coops

Cheers mate yeah i like the look of the marbleds. What did you heat them with ? i was thinking mat or light *hmmm* maybe it will be better with a mat

they are a pretty cool gecko, not as colourful or interesting as your spiny tails or velvet geckos etc but they are a good one to start with. I had a small substrate heater that sticks to the bottom of the tank and heated an area of substrate. depending on where you are you can keep them with no heat but i just used a small exoterra spotlamp during the day with a night glow lamp at night and they seemed happy with that.

my first gecko was a wa marm (marbled velvet gecko) and hes pretty easy to look after. all geckos are pretty similar, they need places to hide, a ground heat source eg. heat mat, a sandy substrate and something to climb on (rock or log). i also havnt bred any yet but i'm pretty sure i know how too. all you need to do is cool them down throughout winter. heat them back up and the female should fall gravid. ps, house the male and female together all the time. bynoes would be pretty good although they can be very small. there are records of people not incubating the eggs and leaving them in the enclosure and they hatched.

Its mid 20s-30s in sydney area and i was thinking about getting a small heater. But im worried that it might hit 40's But yeah male female 24/7. With the incubation do i need to have an incubator or a little tub with a substrate and heater ? But yeah im after good looks because they are going to be in a nice enclosure but i want them to be hardy little things so i must find a balance

why dont you get the northern velvets for sale from hobbo? theyre nice geckos. pretty large gecko too so you can watch them.

they dont need heating ( room temprature is fine ) but i have a heat rock and a light in my enclosure. ill show u some pics of my enclosure

Attachments

• Gecko Tank.jpg
    Gecko Tank.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Gecko Enclosure.jpg
    Gecko Enclosure.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Gecko Terranium.jpg
    Gecko Terranium.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 66
Well spinytails/golden tails/ marbled velvets (you have turned me) but im also thinking about bynoes...... even though theya re not Arboreal they are still sitting in the top of my head

Well atm im bound to spend $150 (on a pair if im lucky) so im thinking the spiny tails are to expensive im bound to spend $200 on cage then like $50 on furnishings so $400 is like *gasp* lol

Yes i know *gasp* skimping out but im trying to get everything set up and have everything nice and ready so if the geckos happen to lay eggs i can be ready and thank god for the search engine ;P

most of those are too expensive then if you want a pair. Marbled Velvets are quite expensive (I paid $180 for mine) You may be able to find a cheap pair somewhere. Marbled geckos should be quite cheap though. Also you may be able to find a clone gecko for $150. I picked mine up for $100ea. Maybe buy one and then later on buy one of the opposite sex. Geckos arent that cheap but have cheap enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back