gecko dissection, Graphic content, don't open unless interested

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_339

Reaction score
While perusing the internet, I found a series of pictures on a US website about a fellow who dissected one of his dead Nephrurus amyae to gain a better understanding of the species in general.

While some might find the topic slightly squeamish, hence the warning in the subject line, I find it a fascinating topic, and also a fascinating series of pictures.

Also, if anyone else happens to have dissection pictures of other Australian reptile species, whether professionally done, or done by yourself on a deceased individual. I'd be interested to see them

Cheers

Edit, got the pics working, here is the link anyway

dissection
sex organs.jpgamyae discection 006.jpgamyae discection 013.jpgaudrey random 009.jpg
full open without sex organs.jpgwithout heart cavity open.jpgamyae discection 005.jpgamyae discection 010.jpgamyae discection 015.jpgfull open with sex organs.jpgstomach fluid.jpgamyae discection 002.jpgamyae discection 008.jpgamyae discection 014.jpgblockage.jpg

Last edited:
i just performed a post mortem on a carpet python yesterday! i also preserved and mounted the skin for taxidermy! ill see if i can rustle up some pics :)

View attachment 245622

hope the pics are working... tell me if they aren't
View attachment 245623

hopefully this works
IMG_1819[1].jpgIMG_1824[1].jpgIMG_1814[1].jpgIMG_1818[1].jpgIMG_1826[1].jpgIMG_1835[1].jpgthe final image is the taxidermy, everything is done but the head.... as you can see... also need to find some good eyes :S
This was a male snake, you can see the three chambered heart...
i dissected away most of the fat because the university wants to preserve the snake to put on display, ill see if i can get more pics showing the testies and kidneys!

the gall bladder is nice and obvious too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
AMS05 - how cool is that??
He skinned really well - what were the circumstances of death?
PM me if you want.
Some very nice pics there - would love to share, however not on a public forum.
Cheers.

wow, that's fascinating! he must have the most controlled hands to do a dissection on such a small scale. Thanks for sharing!

i am a veterinary student so these things dont gross me out... its just so fascinating, they plan on preserving the snake so i didnt want to butcher it up to much, but from what i could see its gastrointestinal tract, liver and gall bladder were all looking normal.. what i did notice was some sort of infection in the lower airways, and the owner was suprised as they didnt notice any symptoms (bubbles out of the nose) so i think it was an acute pneumonia of some sort as i saw some discharge in the lungs with some caseous material.

Cheers for the replies guys, some very interesting photo's.

Toad Country, I've skinned a snake before for eating and once you cut through the ventral scales the skin basically peels off much the same as a a banana. They're the easiest animals to prepare so to speak (skinning and gutting).

love to see more pics if anyone has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back