Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nephrurus01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have idea what gecko is that ?

Attachments

• unknown gecko.jpg
    unknown gecko.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 183
this gecko is from the strophurus genus and Southern spotted velvet gecko is from oedura genus - / totaly diferent specie - not even close enough
answer re id of this one is not that simple - if it was i wouldnt ask for that

it might be some undescribed strophurus sp - just curious on others opinions

my guess would be a golden tailed gecko Strophurus taenicauda i dont know but if that is another geckos tail from the picture it looks similar to this one i found online! here is the link!

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_co...d_animals/near_threatened/goldentailed_gecko/

let me know whAT YOU think! I am curious about it now too! I was thinking perhaps it was a breeding pair chilling out ! I am no expert but that certianly looks the closest similarity to me!

Cheers

Sam

the tail on the photo is S. taenicaudata, but this one is not they were just kept together , this one is more similar to S wiliamsi but i dont think it is williamsi as it doesnt have some features typical for williamsi - just think it might be new specie

I'd say a taenicauda, just missing the golden stripe. Can't think of any other strophs it could be. Send geckodan a PM if you want definate confirmation. But I'd say a taenicauda, especially with the tail of the other one in the pic.

it is not taenicaudata 100 % - attached photo of taenicaudata and 2 geckos together to compare,
those 2 geckos are on one photo together - it doesnt mean they are the same specie, I might have taken photo of this gecko together with knob tail gecko or whatever............

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 82
  • gex.jpg
    gex.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 105
Well on it's own i would have said a taenicauda anyway regardless of the other one being there, there are no other smooth tailed strophs that i can think of that have that colouration. As I said, PM geckodan to be sure. What makes you think it can't be a taenicauda besides the missing stripe? Where did you get it from? what was it sold to you as?

Well on it's own i would have said a taenicauda anyway regardless of the other one being there, there are no other smooth tailed strophs that i can think of that have that colouration. As I said, PM geckodan to be sure. What makes you think it can't be a taenicauda besides the missing stripe? Where did you get it from? what was it sold to you as?

i agree

My two cents worth would suggest a "gold less taenicauda". Its not williamsi, rankini, its not a spiny tailed form. Its concievable that if its possible to enhance the gold colour then its technically possible to lessen it as well. Very interesting. Also consider the possibility of a williamsi/taenicauda hybrid - they do occur in Europe but I have not seen one.

i go with geckodans bet (hes the expert) ;) nah, i would have said williamsi or ranki, but i dom't know bugger all bout geckos. they are my to guesses, but i reckon geckodan is right!

Luke

Is it just me or are there tiny nodules along the tail? In the pic with the golden tail on top of it, it looks like there is :?
If so it could well be a williamsi with less spines or a hybrid with taenicauda
Any chance of a macro shot of the tail ;)
Whatever it is, its very interesting!

hi all,

Its an undescribed but known species of Strophurus found North of Rockhampton (thanks sensai for the input)

Cheers,
Scott

"its an undescribed but known species of Strophurus found North of Rockhampton"

eipper do you have any more info on this undescribed sp from north of Rockhampton - maybe photo ? or more detailed description ? never heard of any undescribed sp up there

by the way -dont think it is the specie you mentioned as this one originates from the area which is not even close to Rockhampton and not in northern direction

neph...is presently undescribed and it not being worked on by myself what I do know about it is limited and as its not my info Its not mine to divulge.

If you know its true origin then is a there any reason why it way not disclosed in the post.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back