Gecko is sick

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyBeardieLover

Reaction score
:cry: Hi Guys
I'm really worried as my thick tailed gecko bill is pretty sick. He seems to not be eating and he still has shedding on his eyes...may sound silly but i'm really worried! What should i do?

Spray him with water to help with the shedding,...can you see the caps attached to his eyes? Do you have heating and if so what temps. Are you misting the enclosure every so often to produce added moisture to aid in shedding?

what are u feeding him and how often? is he passing any food?

Yes i have sprayed him with water. I use heating only when it is really cold not really sure round the 24-25ish mark? Thanks for the help but to be honest i'm more worried about the eating!? :(

When you say on his eye's is it on top or his actual eye caps that should come off in the shed?

you need to heat him up to around 32 on the hot end and 28 on the cool side
What enclosure is he in?
You need to get a heat mat under 1/3 of his tank and connect it to a thermostat asap

grogshla: i'm feeding him crickets. Not so sure about the pooing as i have a female in with him...so don't knows who's who :p

and for how often : every 2nd day

smithers: he's actual eye caps...
grogshla: ok i will do that now. there is a heatmat and its taking up 1/3...do you think this could be the issue? i'm worried if i put him back in his big tank though because i feed him in a seperate tank or the crickets just hide...

you need to heat him up to around 32 on the hot end and 28 on the cool side
What enclosure is he in?
You need to get a heat mat under 1/3 of his tank and connect it to a thermostat asap

No no no it's a thicktail maximum heat set to 27-28 for these fella's Grogs. These are fine with no heat in most circumstances unless your getting into under 10-12 degrees. He is probably slowing due to season and his internal clock.

ok cool. Crickets are great perhaps feed small or mediums as they have softer shells than the bigger ones. I would dust them with calcium 2 times a week and with vitamins 1 time a week. Have you noticed any fighting or bullying?? I would place another hide on the hot end just incase.

Hi Grogs.
Well Bill lost his tail and I think the female ate it... :/ this is why i've seperated him from the female. I'm so worried :(

Could be slowing down due to it being winter / breeding season , I would still give it some heat during the day time 28 is fine for milii.
Are you feeding the male and female in the same feeding tub ? could the other gecko be getting all the crickets ?

I have had milli leave shed on the eye a few times , I normally give them a good spray and remove it carefully.

yeah that is no good Izzy.
Keep them seperated and see how he goes. Bit of calcium and vitamins will do him great. Best of luck

Hi Grogs.
Well Bill lost his tail and I think the female ate it... :/ this is why i've seperated him from the female. I'm so worried :(

did you treat the wound with betadine?
how long ago did it happen?
could he be sick from teh wound becoming infected?

No i'm not feeding them in same tub. I feed them on alternet nights. Just noticed that one of the eyes is now free of skin! I'm positive they're not both males as i've had eggs before.

Chris: It wasn't exactly a wound there was no blood it just kind of closed up.

No i'm not feeding them in same tub. I feed them on alternet nights. Just noticed that one of the eyes is now free of skin! I'm positive they're not both males as i've had eggs before.

Chris: It wasn't exactly a wound there was no blood it just kind of closed up.

No probs , just though maybe two males fighting ..
I had a dropped tail recently , there was never a wound at all , was healed over almost straight away .

oh cool, just wonderinig cos one of my beardies lost a tail tip a while ago and it looked raw for days,...i thought sand/poo/infection,... :p

Chris: Maybe coz beardies don't grow their tails back...do they?
So guys...what should i do about the eating problem?
Sounds cruel but i sprinkled a bit of calcium on his lips that he licked off just to get some good stuff into him and i sprayed the walls and he licked them. I'm just woried coz he looks so skinny and sad :(

no they dont, but ive seen a bluey with a dropped tail (and they do grow them back) and there were lots of raw looking bits exposed, so i didnt know how cleanly gecko tails break off,...since blueys look so messy
it was just a thought since u seem at a complete loss.

Yeah thanks Chris :) Interesting to hear that different lizards tails trop differently! I wonder why? I hope my beardies tail doesn't fall of :) Maybe you could help me in my new topic in this section of the forum :) Thanks!

Is there any way of force feeding him? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back