Getting used to my snake!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twinny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Posting this in case there is someone else who had the same fear i had starting out......

As some of you who have read my previous posts may be aware, i have only had my snake (a coastal carpet) for almost 2 months now - i bought her as a 6 month old.

When i first got her home i was so happy and absolutely fascinated by her - but terrified of touching her.

So I started out with gloves - big, thick gloves lol - and it still didn't make me feel better - i used to shake for at least 10 minutes after getting her out and then at least for 1/2 an hour after putting her back in her viv.

Since then, i have had Lssah from here help me out to no end!

He helped me with the mites issue, with my retained shed issue and of course, my handling issue - we get the webcam fired up and he times how long it takes me to get her out!

I have been watching a squillion videos on youtube and reading everything i can get my hands on and finally, i am over my fear!

I have had her out a lot over the past week and she is so placid - i think a lot of it is learning to read their body language and just getting in the viv and getting them out.

I used to hover over her for ages, now, i just go in decisively and take her out and she is fine!

My kids have started handling her a little and my husband - well almost!

Anyone who is having the same issue, i would highly recommend seeking some help from an experienced forum member who will help you with your handling issue - it is so worth breraking through your fear and getting to just love and hold your snake.

I took Allegra outside today and i gave her a soak in some water to help with her pending shed and had her around my neck for the first time!

I had a lot of helpful advice from this forum so thank you to everyone who responded to my previous threads.

So very much appreciated!

awsome its good to here that your getting over your fear so quickly it would be good if there were more people that would ad come over to our side of this hobby

I've had my stimmie "Barrie" for just on 3 months, and for the first month or so, I was just the same as you...well, maybe not quite so scared, but I was very disappointed with myself. Here in WA you have to have a snake for 3 months before you can sell them, and for those first few weeks I was sure I'd done the wrong thing by getting him and thought for sure once the 3 months was up, I'd sell him. Well now....there's no way in the world I could part with my...baby....I love him to bits. He'll be 15 months old next week and he's soooo placid and easy to handle and enjoy. Getting over that fear factor is so important and certainly worth the trouble of getting over. I think a lot of new owners feel the same way. :) cheers, Annie

Thanks Lonewolf!

Grannie, i remember talking to you in my first couple of posts and you really helped me!
I feel the same as you now, there is NO way i would part with Allegra, i just adore her.

when i got my first snake i took him out of the box i took him home in and he bite me and made me bleed and i was so scarded of him for ages after that but now no way in hell even thought he bites more them ever but he is my liltte bady and i hold him with out glove and stuff and he chills down after the first min or 2

lol this is like an AA meating lol
ever since i was young i aways wonted a reptile wasent sceard off them
but we just got a brown tree snake and wow
lol there are sceary lil suckers lol i think for me is coz they are venomas and i know they arent harmfull to humans but there still venomas lol i hope in 3 months i will be use to them

I would suggest that as you or your partner is pregnant (not sure who posted this) dont risk a bite from the BTS ...just because it is regarded as a minimal risk venomous snake ,you dont know how it will effect you and especially the unborn babe ...providing its lone wolf that wrote this ...:)

my husband is the same at the moment, he loves the snake and wants to get him out but he cant get over the nervs

I think bringing a new snake home is like like the first time you bring home a new baby.....you're sure everything will be fine, you've read all the books, talked to lots of people, but then....suddenly....you're on your own and the reality hits you and you think....what the hell have I done. But you soon learn the ropes and find that everyone else goes through the same thing to start with...... :) Twinny, I'm glad I was able to help, I got lots of help when I started too, and I think we owe it to other newbies to help as much as we can. Reptiles are wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back