Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian66

Reaction score
For all you young Reptile keepers out there, that a thinking of getting a medium or large Monitor, think very carefully about it before you rush out getting one, you can see what has happend to me this morning in these photo's, one of my desert Sand Monitor's decided to bite my index finger on my right hand, it does not require any surgery thank god. but it could have been alot worse if l did not pull my hand away fast.
You may end up in hospital requiring surgery and stitches like have twice, so think very carefully before you rush out getting your 1st medium or large Monitor.

cheers,Les.

Last edited:
ive heard the larger monitors bites can be bad enough to cause nerve damage is this true??

well im gonna stick with pygmys and accies then i need my hands a 100% .

he looks quite happy with himself doesnt he haha

He shaw does look happy, but l know he his not happy cause he did not get to eat my right index finger thank god, cause l need it to do things such as using my computer like l am now adelherper.

well im gonna stick with pygmys and accies then i need my hands a 100% .
lf yoy don't want to get bitten Hooglabah, l would stick to keeping Pygmy's and Ridge-Tailed Monitor's, they shaw wont cause any damage like a medium or large Monitor can.

ouch!!! that looks so painful. id hate to see a 'bad' bite! hope u heal up quick.

nasty nasty nasty ...ouchies, so tell me how he got attached to your finger were you giving him a feed?

lol..... hope it doesn't get infected on you....

got got just touched by a tooth of his lacy, his finger swelled up quite bad for a few days and he couldnt move his finger... I lol'd

nasty nasty nasty ...ouchies, so tell me how he got attached to your finger were you giving him a feed?
l was moving some sand from the hole, that lead underneath the Radiant Panel Heaters, where he was hinding at the time, then he snapped at my finger at the edge og the burrow, thinking it was food, l was about to feed him after him biting my index finger, l now won't feed the sandy's until tomorrow morning sometime.

lol not having much luck with those darn sand goanna's...
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/bitten-by-one-of-my-desert-sand-monitors-99859
3rd times the charm hey ;)
l sure am not having much luck with my Desert Sand Monitor's, l have been thinking since my last bite in early January, l may end up departing with 4 of them and only keep one male as a pet Sandy, and get back into keeping a few more Python's such as Woma - Olive Python's, l'm less likely to get bitten by a Python, if l do get bitten it wont be as serious as a Goanna Bite Thank God.:p

mmm I just got a mertens he's a nasty boy but, goanna's are stunning creatures.

It's funny because a lot of people highly recomend sandy's as a first med sized goanna.

I guess not all sandy's are polite lol...Lucky you didn't need stitches this time :p

ive heard the larger monitors bites can be bad enough to cause nerve damage is this true??

I think a large snake can be sufficient at causing nerve damage. I got a feeding bite along my knuckles on my hand, and there is a small spot thats now half numb since it happened.

I think a large snake can be sufficient at causing nerve damage. I got a feeding bite along my knuckles on my hand, and there is a small spot thats now half numb since it happened.
l agree with you Vixenbabe, that a large Python can cause a serious bite, if they manage to get hold of you, my 2 large NT Olive Python's, have rearly bitten me but when they do at feed time which is rear for them to do, they let go straight away, not continue to hold on like a Monitor would do.:)

if l do decide to depart with 4 of my Desert Sand Monitor's, they will only be moved on as a group 2x males and 2x females, to someone that has 12 months or more experience in keeping-handling medium or large Monitor, and can provide all the love and care they deserve in captivity.

i would love to get into the larger goannas but dont have room for them. i took a bite from my 6ft diamond that hurt bit but probly noway near a sndie haha

quote=adelherper;1418341]i would love to get into the larger goannas but dont have room for them. i took a bite from my 6ft diamond that hurt bit but probly noway near a sndie haha[/quote]
adelherp, you shaw need plenty of room to keep medium or large Monitor's, cause they can be very active and move around alot, your lucky that your 6ft long Diamond Python bite was no where near as nasty as my Goanna bite earlier on today.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back