Got a tv corner unit, ideas on what to do with it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcus0002

I just bought this
fL47qJg.jpg

Its 2m tall, 1.2m wide and 0.6m deep at its deepest.
The part above the cupboards is 1.4m tall.

I want to make it into an enclosure for my 2 bredli, then my maccie can move out of the little one in the pic to their old one, which is just a longer version of his.

Im thinking whack out the two shelves, make a litter guard then make two hinged doors for it on the front. Need to find a similar stain to match them to the rest of it.
Seal it with some sort of sealant (not sure what, any ideas?)
Fit a basking shelf, fit a heat panel ( maybe a homemade one out of heat cord?)
Add some branches and hides.

That's the general idea, any hints tips suggestions?
Especially with regard to heating as I don't want to fit heating that could burn the place down. There will be a thermostat.

Another idea I did have was leave one shelf in and make it a double, however the bredlis will probably end up outgrowing it as a single let alone if they only had 2/3 of the space. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a couple of pics of my corner unit shelves ripped out cupboard down the bottom i turned into a hide i have ceramic heat emitter and 2 halogen downlights,temps are fine with this i dont use heat mat or heat chords in this enclosure it is for my bredli he has been happy in here for about 6 months now....sorry for the dodgy pics

Attachments

• DSC_0514.jpg
    DSC_0514.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0502.jpg
    DSC_0502.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 168
Thanks for your input
Smiley snake I like your background, is it bamboo? How much did the glass front cost?
What are the side doors like for cleaning?
Snowman is the top cupboard on that an enclosure as well or just storage?

Both of you what did you use to seal the varnish? Did you need to do any sanding or prep or just brush it straight on?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mine is a bark background bought from bunnings side door is a bit of help for cleaning and to replace his waterbowl and glass with aluminium frame was $130.......pythonmum that looks awesome...oh and i didnt re-varnish thats how i bought it....

Last edited:
Smileysnake Did you need the ali frame custom made to fit or was it just a standard window etc from bunnings? If so what did you need to do to fit it? I just looked at mine again iI won't be able to fit side doors as the parallel sides are only 150mm long.
Would I be able to get away with sliding glass panels at that size or would they be too heavy?

Pythonmum I like those doors, pretty much what my original plan was. How did you make them?

Hi Marcus,
The doors were dead easy. I made the frame with pine and then put plastic U strips inside. Slid in the glass and sealed it with silicone. Dead easy.

Hi Marcus,
The doors were dead easy. I made the frame with pine and then put plastic U strips inside. Slid in the glass and sealed it with silicone. Dead easy.

Did you glue them together or screw them? How much did the glass cost? Did you go to bunnings etc or a glazier?

Did you glue them together or screw them? How much did the glass cost? Did you go to bunnings etc or a glazier?
I glued and nailed the frame joints, but after you put in the glass it really stabilises them. I got the plastic frame at Bunnings and had the glass (just cheap window glass) cut at a glazier. It was only about $25 - 30. When I did my more recent renovation and had the edges of larger pieces for a sliding glass door arised (dulled) it cost $50. Well worth the money. I have cut my own glass when doing leadlighting, but for this sort of thing it is much easier to get a glazier to do it.

I've got a pretty similar cupboard.

Sorry bout dodgy photos.

Heaps of things you can do with one of these bad boys.

Attachments

• IMG_20130313_190656.jpg
    IMG_20130313_190656.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0908.jpg
    IMAG0908.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG0898.jpg
    IMAG0898.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 117
Nice work mate a lot if efforts gone into that one. What did you seal the varnish with? How much did the glass cost?
I'm wondering if I can get away with having sliding glass doors the whole length of it above the cupboard. It would give me a bit more visibility than hinged doors.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm after an answer to sealant/varnish question as well... I've stained the inside of my double with pondite on the bottom but looking for a clear sealer thats safe :)

Have fun converting it by the way buddy! will look awesome when finished :)

I'm looking for one to put over the stain. Pondite is only on the bottom and 150mm up the sides :)

Hi guys,

awesome jobs. can you tell me what you use as a heat source? and how you get ventilation? My mother in law has one that she is trying to get rid of so here starts my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back