Got a tv corner unit, ideas on what to do with it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut some holes with a jigsaw and add the Louvre vents from bunnings or masters for ventilation.
Heating can use globes, heat panel, heat mat under a tile or heat cord under a tile. Globes and heat matts can be a fire hazard if you don't know what your doing so I'm leaning towards a heat panel or heat cord wrapped around a frame under a ceramic floor tile. Heat panels are good but cost more.

Awesome thanks. Can a snake sit on the tile or would it get too hot? can the heat come from the top in small enclosure?

Awesome thanks. Can a snake sit on the tile or would it get too hot? can the heat come from the top in small enclosure?

The heat matt or cord under the tile is hooked up to a thermostat and set to 32-35c, so yes the snake can sit on it.

If by from the top you mean globes or ceramic heat emitters yea you can that too but the fitting must have airspace around them (no flush mounts) and the must have a cage over them do the snake can't be burnt by them. A globe thats hooked up to a thermostat to keep the warm end at 32c, will mean the globe itself will be around 60c

Do this :)
atu8upaq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I used perpex so that we could cut it and glue it in easily, also because you would need good hinges and a steady base to support a glass door that big. So it only cost me $10, but it did scratch a bit which I was disappointed about :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Would it be easier to use a globe in smaller spaces? Or would that heat the whole enclosure to much, and wouldnt have a cool place. Ill get my mother in law to bring the cupboard over then ill take pics so I can get some help. I dont want to get it wrong.

A smaller space just means you'll only need a lower wattage to maintain the required heat level. For example, in our 4 ft enclosures, we have 100w CHE's, in a smaller glass one only a 60w one.

Thanks pinefamily. That makes sense. What about heat cords, they seem to be used by a lot of people?

We used a heat cord attached to a tile with electrical tape, and buried in the substrate. However since reading on here, it's probably better to rout a groove in a piece of melamine or MDF and fit the cord into it, and glue a tile to the other side of the wood.
Check out the threads in the DIY section, and you'll get plenty of info just as we have.

I make heat panels using heat cord. Build a pine frame and put cup hooks inside to wind the heat cord around. Top it with a tile and you are in business! Alternatively, it can be screwed under a basking shelf and you cover the open side with metal fly screen. Very cheap to make and energy efficient.

Hi, I just started a DIY thread with a set of draws that ive just started. I believe Im on the right track. Any extra advice would be great.

Hey guys great set ups, we have a set of draws we are going to convert any suggestions on keeping heat in ie insulation? Would we need any or would just making the enclosure be enough (we're going to make the background and floor ourselves but we've looked into that pretty well, it will be from things like foam and grout ect.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I knew any better I uesd a heat globe in mine but I put some fibro sheeting up first to give some fire protection to the wood.
2012school040.jpg

I glued and nailed the frame joints, but after you put in the glass it really stabilises them. I got the plastic frame at Bunnings and had the glass (just cheap window glass) cut at a glazier. It was only about $25 - 30. When I did my more recent renovation and had the edges of larger pieces for a sliding glass door arised (dulled) it cost $50. Well worth the money. I have cut my own glass when doing leadlighting, but for this sort of thing it is much easier to get a glazier to do it.

What area did you get it from or what is the product called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The glass was from a glazier in Thornleigh. Any glass company can do it. They also sell tracks or you can buy plastic ones at Bunnings. Let the company know the size of your opening and the type of track you are using and they will calculate the size of glass needed very quickly. They were great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back