greentree python prices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayne, this is topic has been discussed, dissected, analysed to death in the past. You claim to have "a bit of experience in DNA testing" but you are referring to different type of testing. To trace offspring to their parents, u use microsatelite technique but when you testing for ancestry, you need to look at mitochondrial DNA. The primers for GTPs are readily available and there is a huge database to compare the samples against.

Please let us know when you find a native GTP breeder in this country who can demonstrate beyond a shadow of doubt that their snakes are genuine ausies and that they were legally obtained.

I am sure many members of this forum will be anxiously awaiting to hear the breede's name(s)

thanks for the replys guys so basically the illegal trade has killed there high price but as long as the bloodline is pure the price will hold right?,and as for dishing out the big bucks with herps id would not think twice i love herps and will pay what it takes to have what i want i always know ill make the money back in the long run,how many hobbies can you do that in?

No it has nothing to do with a bloodline being pure really as it is next to impossible to know if they are pure or not, it comes down to what catches your eye, what you like the look of. Australian GTP's are more expensive but they have also almost halved in price since last season.

How can we talk about pure blood lines if skeptics like Jayne are never going to be happy with what's in front of them?

you need to look at mitochondrial DNA.

which is maternally inherited... hence you can breed a NG male to an aussie female and you wont know (apart from the changes in the phenetics).

as far as legalities in regards to how the original animals where aquired... if i wanted aussies, i dont care as long as they are what im paying for.

I just think its amusing how many people are concerened about an animals price tag... who care sif they drop?? If you buy an animal caue you like it, no worries. if you're looking at buying an animal as an investment, you're buying it for the rong reason.

I have a good plan, I think they're awesome, and I've noticed prices dropping, so I'm waiting until they get to about $900, then Mum has agreed to give me the money to buy one =)

I'm buying one cause I like them! just can't manage to convince my parents to spent as much as they usually seem to be.

which is maternally inherited... hence you can breed a NG male to an aussie female and you wont know (apart from the changes in the phenetics).

as far as legalities in regards to how the original animals where aquired... if i wanted aussies, i dont care as long as they are what im paying for.

I just think its amusing how many people are concerened about an animals price tag... who care sif they drop?? If you buy an animal caue you like it, no worries. if you're looking at buying an animal as an investment, you're buying it for the rong reason.

Jason, for the life of me, I can't see why a reputable breeder would bastardise pure line unless he/she plans on leaving town soon. The results of cross-breeding will show up in the next generation or the one after and what then? Hard earned reputation down the drain.
Investing in an animal doesn't have to be for the money. In my way of thinking, investing in strong, healthy animal with good breeding potential can bring lot of satisfaction and happiness down the track.

Jason, for the life of me, I can't see why a reputable breeder would bastardise pure line unless he/she plans on leaving town soon. The results of cross-breeding will show up in the next generation or the one after and what then? Hard earned reputation down the drain.
Investing in an animal doesn't have to be for the money. In my way of thinking, investing in strong, healthy animal with good breeding potential can bring lot of satisfaction and happiness down the track.

Im not saying there is logic in 'bastardising pure lines' im just saying that the DNA testing that is being used is not conclusive as far as purity is concerened. merely shows that the mother was aussie, assuming that there are wild sequences for comparison (which i assume there would be). Yes the testing does give some 'satisfaction' but i think its just a marketing tool... people instantly believe they're pure after hearing that its tested.

as for it showing up in future generations... it may, depending on which animal fathered the animals butif a male mareuke was used over an aussie im sure it would fool ALOT if not MOST people, especially because they would still believe they are working with pure animals and possibly assume they have hatched ones slightly different aussie. After all NO ONE can say with certainty that some variations/'morphs' wont appear in pure aussie lines in the future.

It's simple... trust the person you are buying from and the 'story' they give you. im sure we all know which line this DNA testing talk is refering to. If/When i buy aussies, they will likely be the first person i contact based on reputation and quality.

Please let us know when you find a native GTP breeder in this country who can demonstrate beyond a shadow of doubt that their snakes are genuine ausies and that they were legally obtained.

QUOTE]

Didn't some bloke get some on the books he had illegally by waiting for the 1st amnesty in NSW a few years back? So they would be legally aquired......kinda... Michael. I'm guessing there would be paperwork from NPWS?

I'd by the genuine 1st gen captives off him.

Legal caught or not there still licenced animals , where there is a loophole there is bond to be someone there to exploit it

Kris,
my view is, any GTP, native or otherwise that has been legally obtained from another person and registered in the current owner's name is LEGAL. It's trivial to dig into it any deeper because all the roads lead to amnesty or import.
Jason, you didn't get my drift. DNA profiling is one thing and the ethics and motifs for crossing natives with non-natives is another. So, repeating myself somewhat: why would a reputable breeder do it .... read on in my previous post.
But this is getting way off the topic.

if you're looking at buying an animal as an investment, you're buying it for the rong reason.

What's wrong with owning animals purely from an investment point of view? Financially it can be very lucrative - but it is a high risk, high return investment so the chances of losing all or part of your initial investment are very real.

Kris,
my view is, any GTP, native or otherwise that has been legally obtained from another person and registered in the current owner's name is LEGAL. It's trivial to dig into it any deeper because all the roads lead to amnesty or import.
Jason, you didn't get my drift. DNA profiling is one thing and the ethics and motifs for crossing natives with non-natives is another. So, repeating myself somewhat: why would a reputable breeder do it .... read on in my previous post.
But this is getting way off the topic.

Hey mate,

What about animals that were legally collected? From memory you (If you are MC?) know of 5 individual collection permits that were issues for Greens in Australia...I know of only one and there are still progeny from the originally collected animals alive in private collections.

What's wrong with owning animals purely from an investment point of view? Financially it can be very lucrative - but it is a high risk, high return investment so the chances of losing all or part of your initial investment are very real.

The more expensive the animal though the better chance of making more profit.
eg milli vs Sheai both have basically the same upkeep in cost however one costs $60 and another costs $2,000 hence you would have a much better chance of making your money back from breeding Sheai where as with milli you would struggle to break even.

Me personally i will just buy whatever i like whether its a $20 gecko or a $600 monitor.

horses for courses... I can understand why someone disagrees with people keeping / breeding only for financial gain and that arn't interested in reptiles other than that....The mighty dollar ruins everything... Personally, I'd rather it go back to the days when keeping herps was illegal, and only done by those who were really keen and interested in the animals... certainly I don't mind making money, but I don't like where it's heading.

G'day mate,

I kind of agree - I pair very little up every year as that's not what gets my heart racing...wild herps do. But my only concern is the wellbeing of captive animals...I couldn't care if they were bred for money, fun, interest or whatever, as long as they are looked after properly, it's all OK.

I agree Jonno & whats more you be damn sure those expensive animals get looked after !!!!

The only thing that sucks about GTPs is not being able to sex them before 12 months old. Nothing worse than not knowing the sex of any hatchling reptiles. With that in mind Im glad that the price has dropped and can only see it dropping more.

The only thing that sucks about GTPs is not being able to sex them before 12 months old. Nothing worse than not knowing the sex of any hatchling reptiles. With that in mind Im glad that the price has dropped and can only see it dropping more.

Well, they are sexable, it just depends on how good and ballsy you are to do it. I know people who probe and I know others that don't....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back