GTP - Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzmixer

Reaction score
Hello,

Quite a noobish question here, but is the little dark tip on the GTP a spinal kink? or is that hows its suppose to be? Please excuse the photo, I just finished misting the enclosure down and noticed it.

2013-08-05 17.20.42.jpg

Cheers.

Mine rest there tails like that in awkward positions like that all the time. How long has it been like that?

Good question, I've only noticed it the dark tip looking like that recently. Before the very tip of the tail is usually always nice and straight, but that little tip is a bit strange.

I just realised there's a huge kink up in the top left hand corner, that's just it laying awkwardly, that's not usually there at all.. when I handle it, its nice and straight :)

Black tail tips are often present on some GTP types, however if this is a relatively recent change, then it could be the result of retained skin cutting off blood supply causing the tail tip to die and discolour.
Can you post a close-up pic of the tail tip?
Do you always check sloughed skins to make sure that the tail tip is shed, as this is a good practice?

Last edited:
Black tail tips are often present on some GTP types, however if this is a relatively recent change, then it could be the result of retained skin cutting off blood supply causing the tail tip to die and discolour.
Can you post a close-up pic of the tail tip?
Do you always check sloughed skins to make sure that the tail tip is shed, as this is a good practice?

It's always had the black tip, just never noticed it to be kinked like that. It actually shed recently (2 days ago) and I checked all of it and it looked to be intact all the way through. I'll grab some photos asap :)

Last edited:
Good question, I've only noticed it the dark tip looking like that recently. Before the very tip of the tail is usually always nice and straight, but that little tip is a bit strange.

I just realised there's a huge kink up in the top left hand corner, that's just it laying awkwardly, that's not usually there at all.. when I handle it, its nice and straight :)

Strange indeed. It's a distinct possibility that its a kink. They are prone to spinal kinks usually caused by ruff handling as a neonate, although it can happen at any time. If it is a kink its not going to effect the snake in a negative way.

Strange indeed. It's a distinct possibility that its a kink. They are prone to spinal kinks usually caused by ruff handling as a neonate, although it can happen at any time. If it is a kink its not going to effect the snake in a negative way.

I think I handled it about 3 times as a neonate, it was a look but don't touch. The only times i had to was when i first got it and moved it into its new home, and a few times when upgrading the enclosure size. I never forced it off its perch though, just tickled it a bit until it worked its way up my hand/arm.. I'll have a look at it again tonight when I get home and try get some photos of the very tip of the tail.

It's always had the black tip, just never noticed it to be kinked like that. It actually shed recently (2 days ago) and I checked all of it and it looked to be intact all the way through. I'll grab some photos asap :)
OK, it could be a new kink then. Does the kink stay like that while the snake moves around and coils up?
When I look at the larger image the colour doesn't look quite right to me, but it's hard to tell from the pic, so a close-up would be good.

OK, it could be a new kink then. Does the kink stay like that while the snake moves around and coils up?
When I look at the larger image the colour doesn't look quite right to me, but it's hard to tell from the pic, so a close-up would be good.

Try this.. Hopefully it doesn't pixelate to much.. Same photo but I tried to make the picture a bit bigger when its opened.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for providing that close-up photo, as it makes a big difference in giving you a more definitive answer.
That looks like the tail tip is compromised to me. There appears to be some swelling and discoloration to me. Notice the skin between the scales suggesting some swelling from a tourniquet effect from retained skin. There is also a greyish colour to the normally black tail pigment.
Perhaps not coincidentally, the kink is located roughly at the point where these changes occur.

I agree with Bushman. The tail tip looks a bit pinkish and swollen, and it may be that there has been a bit of skin retained at the tip during the last shed, or it has been damaged somehow. It really does look like there is some old skin on the tip. I would very carefully rub your fingers along the tail towards the tip and see if there is any skin adhering. It may be that the tail-tip has already died if this is the case, hence the odd colour and swelling.

Jamie

The retained shed idea is a def. possibility, but l believe it to be a herniation due to slow peristalsis....solar 17 (Baden) :)

The retained shed idea is a def. possibility, but l believe it to be a herniation due to slow peristalsis....solar 17 (Baden) :)

Is slow peristalsis constipation? If this is correct how does that effect the tail below the cloaca? I am not doubting you more interested in the how.

Thanks for providing that close-up photo, as it makes a big difference in giving you a more definitive answer.
That looks like the tail tip is compromised to me. There appears to be some swelling and discoloration to me. Notice the skin between the scales suggesting some swelling from a tourniquet effect from retained skin. There is also a greyish colour to the normally black tail pigment.
Perhaps not coincidentally, the kink is located roughly at the point where these changes occur.

Thanks for giving me a better understanding on what's going on. I wanted to have a close look but by the time I got home last night it was looking for a feed and I wasn't going anywhere near it. I'll leave work early today and have a closer look. I feel horrible, like I let the snake down. I checked everything else but the tip of the tail. I was always careful when I handled it. Read through Greg Maxwells book like it was my bible.

Will this effect it at all? Other than running my fingers gently over the tip of the tail is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for giving me a better understanding on what's going on. I wanted to have a close look but by the time I got home last night it was looking for a feed and I wasn't going anywhere near it. I'll leave work early today and have a closer look. I feel horrible, like I let the snake down. I checked everything else but the tip of the tail. I was always careful when I handled it. Read through Greg Maxwells book like it was my bible.

Will this effect it at all? Other than running my fingers gently over the tip of the tail is there anything else I can do?

I think there would be a good chance of it going strait again if stuck shed isn't imbedded to far, and hasn't cut off the blood flow. To get it off I would give the snake a nice long soak, then try to rub the shed off with a wet q-tip. If the shed is imbedded I wouldn't know what to do as I have not had to deal with that.

I think there would be a good chance of it going strait again if stuck shed isn't imbedded to far, and hasn't cut off the blood flow. To get it off I would give the snake a nice long soak, then try to rub the shed off with a wet q-tip. If the shed is imbedded I wouldn't know what to do as I have not had to deal with that.

Might be worth a visit to the VET then, just to see what's actually going on.

Is slow peristalsis constipation? If this is correct how does that effect the tail below the cloaca? I am not doubting you more interested in the how.

Definition of peristalsis: the involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wave-like movements which push the contents of the canal forward.

This snake would have to have a cloaca at the tip of its tail. :)

Definition of peristalsis: the involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wave-like movements which push the contents of the canal forward.

This snake would have to have a cloaca at the tip of its tail. :)

So I'm sightly confused now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back