Guess What I Might Be Getting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mate i wouldnt be spending my fathers money on a GTP baby if i wher you.

need abit of experence with other pythons first id say by abit around 5years to get to no and see problems ect get a pair of Het albino darwins or maybe even olives be abit cheaper and ther harder or even a pair of albinos but to replicate the gtp environment especally for a baby probly end in disaster!

I'm not spending his money. He is.

I want a GTP for various reasons and so won't be getting something else. I have sufficient belief in my own husbandry and know plenty of people (not least of which are here) that will do everything they can to help.

EDIT: Thanks Spinipes, I sent an email off to that address.

Last edited:
Can i just point out that even experianced keepers, with years of hands on experiance have failed. So being a novice and contemplating buying a GTP is likening a child to playing with a loaded gun. I suggest and in my opinion only, that you get some experiance keeping and breeding some of the other various australian pythons which are just as beautiful and are less risky. GTPs are one of my favourite pythons, and there are few that can over look there majestic beauty. But if you are seriously considering betting hard earned dollars on these beautiful animals dont focus on breeding the animals focus on growing them to healthy adults. As it may be an expensive lesson to learn

How do you know how much experience I have with snakes, again? The amount of snakes one keeps does not reflect the amount of knowledge one has. This is easily noted in people who own 10 snakes and keep them like trash.

I am not buying these snakes to make a profit (this is a very naive view, IMO). I am wanting to keep them because they are beautiful snakes that (I think) nothing can rival. I will focus on growing them to healthy and happy adults, and if they are doing well will breed them.

haha, Phil, being 19 probably wouldn't help, haha, no matter what you say. Vet student or not, people make assumptions based on age. If you feel you can handle it, then go for it. Who cares what other people say unless its sound advice from people who have experience with the species.

I made no mention of profiting from the animals, that was your own assumption. 10 snakes is a small number indeed. If you are as experianced as you imply then the answers to your Chondro questions are unneeded?

I do not mean I am experienced with chondros - otherwise I wouldn't have asked the questions. I mean that I can follow instructions and have a number of people with experience who are more than happy to help me out. Sorry for assuming you meant I was trying to profit.

I didn't mean to be rude but with all due respect, this thread wasn't a "should I get GTPs" thread, it was a "could anyone answer these questions of mine so I can research getting GTPs" thread.

With all due respect i thought i would give my 2 cents regarding the animals in question, i made no attempt to answer your questions. I also thought it was prudent to mention the cold hard facts of owning GTPs. Like simon stone said: "Experiance keeps a hard school but a fool will learn at no other."

It is naive of you (and very wrong) to think I haven't researched and thought about this. I didn't do it on a whim. I've read about them, I know they're hard to keep but I feel confident in my abilities to do so. God knows if I even do get the snakes.

I am asking questions as part of researching the animals, so if you cannot answer them there is no need to post "you can't do it, it's too hard". I know what is involved.

PhilK - ignore the detractors mate. It's a personal decision on whether you think you can handle GTPs or not. They are certainly not significantly harder than any other python as long as you can keep a certain amount of humidity up to them.

I certainly don't think anyone's age should be the judge on whether they have the experience to keep GTPs. Also, I don't think the number of snakes you keep plays a great role either. You might have 100 pythons and not look after any of them properly.

Im not having a go at you, but you dont seem confident in your own abilities if you have the need to ask questions after knowing what is involved to keep the species. I also never mentioned that you may or may not have researched the animal, GTP buying is never on a whim, handing over that amount of money without a little thought into the matter is a hard thing to do at the best of times. But good luck with your endevour keep us posted on your much anticipated results.

Thanks Premier.

Minka - if asking questions to further my knowledge makes me seem not confident in myself, I guess that's what I am. As soon as someone becomes so confident in themselves they do not ask questions, I think they have suffered a loss.

Ok lets get something straight....... AGE has nothing to do with it. I no exactly what its like having your skills and abilities judged on your age.{i am 20 years old myself!} Asking questions is great, the hobby would be dead if there werent more experianced people to seek advice from, i personally think you can NEVER stop learning. im sorry that a little constructive criticism has got you so wound up. like i said GOOD LUCK :]

"you dont seem confident in your own abilities if you have the need to ask questions after knowing what is involved"

That quote sounds like you're saying asking questions is a bad thing. Makes me sound less confident of myself...

But hey that's just my interpretation hahaha. Thanks for the luck wishing!

They are beautiful animals, but I'm going Bredli next (for both price and ease of husbandry). There was another thread recently with some nifty reptile misters which might be just the trick for maintaining your humidity. Have a search - they were really cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back