Hatchling, Yearling or Adult?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to sound so naieve, but still info gathering... How do you know they're not happy? (Currently trying to upload photo of enclosure set-up)

By a happy snake, it is more like a relaxed snake. If they are 'unhappy' they generally hide (from you) try to get away and just seem to be warey/frightened.... yes, and huff and puff and strike when you try to pick it up (or even strike at you thru the glass) An unhappy hatchie in a click clack with newspaper or paper towel as substrate, might try to get under the paper when you open the lid....... a happy one would just sit there and look at you like "*** do you want?":lol:

A 'happy' snake tends to just sit on a rock/branch and look at you like "so, wheres my rat? slow service in this restauraunt!" and doesnt make a run for it if you open the door to the enclosure.

All just my own experience/opinion ;)

Edit: Also, if a snake is coiled with his head resting on the coils.... and you open enclosure or click clack.... if they are ok with you, it will just stay like it is, maybe even lift its head to look at you (if it can be bothered). If it is frightened/warey of you or feels insecure and it cant get away anywhere... it will usually withdraw its head into its coils, or actively put coils over its head. When scared/unsettled, they instinctively protect thier head.

Last edited:
By a happy snake, it is more like a relaxed snake. If they are 'unhappy' they generally hide (from you) try to get away and just seem to be warey/frightened.... yes, and huff and puff and strike when you try to pick it up (or even strike at you thru the glass) An unhappy hatchie in a click clack with newspaper or paper towel as substrate, might try to get under the paper when you open the lid....... a happy one would just sit there and look at you like "*** do you want?":lol:

A 'happy' snake tends to just sit on a rock/branch and look at you like "so, wheres my rat? slow service in this restauraunt!" and doesnt make a run for it if you open the door to the enclosure.

All just my own experience/opinion ;)

Edit: Also, if a snake is coiled with his head resting on the coils.... and you open enclosure or click clack.... if they are ok with you, it will just stay like it is, maybe even lift its head to look at you (if it can be bothered). If it is frightened/warey of you or feels insecure and it cant get away anywhere... it will usually withdraw its head into its coils, or actively put coils over its head. When scared/unsettled, they instinctively protect thier head.

Wow, awesome. Thankyou so much. Thank all of you so much. Some really helpful stuff. Haha, "*** do you want?" cracked me up. Cheers guys, thanks for taking the time.

i got a 7 month old windora stimmie
she is beautiful has grown up quite alot doubled in size since i got her just make sure you get a well established feeder sometime younger ones are more fussy and harder to feed
just uploaded some pikkies ps my next snake is going to be an albino Darwin
:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349527706461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349527706461.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349527751488.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349527751488.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349527778325.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349527778325.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 53
Wow, awesome. Thankyou so much. Thank all of you so much. Some really helpful stuff. Haha, "*** do you want?" cracked me up. Cheers guys, thanks for taking the time.

:lol: I didn't think the filter would xxx'it out:shock: it was only a T, a W and an F (not in that order) The filter must be set on warp factor 9, I reckon?

Good luck with your snake..... just remember, if you are stressed and tentative whilst interacting with your snake, it will pick up on your stress and be stressed too. So, relax, dont keep thinking you are doing everything/anything wrong (unless you are putting it in the blender) and enjoy :)

i got a 7 month old windora stimmie
she is beautiful has grown up quite alot doubled in size since i got her just make sure you get a well established feeder sometime younger ones are more fussy and harder to feed
just uploaded some pikkies ps my next snake is going to be an albino Darwin
:)

I have heard the young ones can be problem feeders. Marked that as a negative on the hatchies, lol. But after hearing from everyone here I reckon we will be going the hatchie and we'll just have to hope when the seller says "yeah, feeds really well..." that they're not talking "rubbish".

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: I didn't think the filter would xxx'it out:shock: it was only a T, a W and an F (not in that order) The filter must be set on warp factor 9, I reckon?

Good luck with your snake..... just remember, if you are stressed and tentative whilst interacting with your snake, it will pick up on your stress and be stressed too. So, relax, dont keep thinking you are doing everything/anything wrong (unless you are putting it in the blender) and enjoy :)

Lol at blender! Well it is plastic and has a lid... Seriously though, thanks for the advice. It's good to be able to ask an honest question and get an answer rather than "NOOOOOOOOOBBB!!" We'll have to post some pics once we get him/her :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back