Heat at night?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

I have seen on some posts and websites that heat is not required at night for most pythons but then other websites and posts state otherwise. I understand hatchies require 24/7 heating but what is the general opinion on an adult python requiring night heating? I'm guessing it's more of a personal preference sort of thing?

I have seen on some posts and websites that heat is not required at night for most pythons but then other websites and posts state otherwise. I understand hatchies require 24/7 heating but what is the general opinion on an adult python requiring night heating? I'm guessing it's more of a personal preference sort of thing?
I live in Perth, cold nights get down to about 15 degrees in my reptile room. I dont provide night heating, except for hatchies and yearlings in tubs on 24/7 heat. Depends what you keep and where you live.

I live in Perth, cold nights get down to about 15 degrees in my reptile room. I dont provide night heating, except for hatchies and yearlings in tubs on 24/7 heat. Depends what you keep and where you live.
I live in central qld and the temps can drop down to - temps during winter but that's not often. Also I keep a spotted python (4 yrs old) and a coastal (3 yrs). The rest of my collection are still in click clacks and require 24/7 heat so I'm just wondering if my adults require heat at night .

im also in perth, i dont night heat any of my carpets either, just heat lamps on 14 hours a day with a max 34* hotspot all year round ( i am yet to cool but they can tell the seasons themselfs anyways).
my stimi just has a heatmat on 24 hours that reaches up to 35 in his hide.

I think I'll keep the spotted heated continuously but just keep the coastal heated at night for 3 days after eating. If anyone has anything else to add feel free. Cheers guys.

The only 1s i have heated at night are my spotty hatchys in their click clacks, the big coastal has not had night heating for the last 5 years and she thrives whether it is before during or after feeding or shedding makes no difference, with my new thermostat i make sure my night heat setting is set to about 10 deg c lower than what i think the overnight temp is going to be so i don't have the incessant clicking of it trying to keep the enclosure "on temp"..............................................Ron

By the sounds of it, it is fairly safe to not heat a larger python over night. I think when summer comes back around I will begin to only heat my big girl during the day. It would probably be far to cold to leave heating off over night here. What is an acceptable temptature for their enclosure to drop to over night before it starts becoming harmful?

With my adults I only heat during the day, I dont have to worry about digestion as the night temps don't go below 20 in summer (average 25) and I don't feed my adults during winter.

I don't heat my hatchling over night, is that a problem? btw it only gets down to about 20-24 minimum over night. Should I be leaving the heat on? Thanks Naomi.

I don't heat my hatchling over night, is that a problem? btw it only gets down to about 20-24 minimum over night. Should I be leaving the heat on? Thanks Naomi.
Probably doesn't matter. The main reason I do it is so they don't detect a change in season and stop feeding. If yours are feeding with heat off at night then it's obviously not a problem where you live.

Probably doesn't matter. The main reason I do it is so they don't detect a change in season and stop feeding. If yours are feeding with heat off at night then it's obviously not a problem where you live.
I know of at least one breeder that lets his hold backs go through brumation without any ill affects.

I know of at least one breeder that lets his hold backs go through brumation without any ill affects.

Yeah, talking about two different things I think.... I was talking about heat at night if you are continuing to feed. If you are not continuing to feed the 8 hours of heat supplied for brumation would negate night time heat...

I feed my hatchies for the first two years with no brumation. It's a personal choice and I cant see any benifits/negatives of either in a captive environment.

I live in Brisbane so it doesn't get too cold but once my pythons reach 1 year old, i stop giving them night time heat. Wild pythons don't get night time heat and it gets a lot colder outside than it does inside. Just my opinion though.

At the end of the day it depends on where you live and what you keep. find out their natural conditions and match them as closely as possible

Well coastals are found localy so I guess it would be quiet acceptable to supply only day time heat. As long as it doesn't drop to low.

Yeah, talking about two different things I think.... I was talking about heat at night if you are continuing to feed. If you are not continuing to feed the 8 hours of heat supplied for brumation would negate night time heat...

I feed my hatchies for the first two years with no brumation. It's a personal choice and I cant see any benifits/negatives of either in a captive environment.
Yeah i am with you and feed mine all year up until two as well. It was only recently that I actually found someone that puts them through brumation and thought I would share with the other people who did not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back