Heat/fan lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessh88

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is so wrong with these heat/fan lamps.

They create a uniform temperature in the enclosure, meaning there is no hot/cold ends, meaning reptiles can't effectively regulate their body temps. They also dry the environment inside the enclosure like you wouldn't believe, which can lead to deyhdration and shedding problems. I'm sure theres more, but that's probably enough.

I have one atm. My tank is large enough that it still allows a temp gradient, but It does really dry things out. The last shed she has was terrible. It took me three days to get it all off her, soaking morning and night. I am going to have to go to extra measures to make sure the humidity stays high for her next one.

The only reason we chose one was due to height constraints of the terrarium, I would have preferred a normal lamp/ceramic and a cage, but there was just not enough room height wise, it would have sat too low. (Plus it was recommended to us by two staff members at the store). It will not be a product that I chose again if presented with an alternative. This is to the point that I am contemplating serious make over of the tank which will allow me to use a normal lamp/ceramic instead.

You also hear the horror stories of how things go wrong ie, fans melting and nearly causing a fire.

I have one to. Iv got a 4foot enclosure and i just checked the temps and the lamp end was 27 and the cool end was 21. My Stimmy has had 2 sheds since been in there and they have both been perfect so don't think it has been causing a problem for him. Was just curious because everyone says how bad they are

TBH, I think there were many contributing factors for my bad shed, but I am including this as one. This is due to the fact I have a hard time keeping up the humidity in the tank.

I have also hear many good things about them too, and many other people appear to like the concept but not the product (if that makes sense).

The main thing that I like about is that the globe stays relatively cool due to the fan, meaning there is a dramatically reduced change of burns if she decided to coil about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not made any drastic tank changes as I want to see her shed once more (to take it to a total of two) with this lamp to see whether it was the other factors that made the bad shed or whether it was the lamp.

I heard great things from the two staff I bought them from, one of which never had any problems, uses them herself and thinks they are wonderful.

I was lightly disturbed however upon hearing that a few have nearly caught fire, but then I suppose that is a risk you run with ANY heating apparatus.

View attachment 227089

Coastals shed .First complete one i have got off him .Usually breaks them up on his enclosure .

Beautiful Slough. Well it seems that maybe the heat lamp was not a large of a factor as I had thought, considering this stunning shed. I am glad that I appear to have been corrected in my train of thought before I did make changes to her habitat without need.

I too have one of these heat/light/fan thingo's. Was no good for my stimi, but i plan to use it for a bobtail. Bobtails dont do well in any humid envoronment, so the over drying of the air might be a good thing. Fingers crossed! Its a shame to have to throw it in the bin. It must work on some level for at least one reptile out there! :)

Oh thanks guys I feel better now. All iv read today is oh there really bad you shouldn't use one then I was thinking have I hurt my snake by having it. But yea he has had 2 perfect sheds. Wow that shed is huge. Wish I could get a big snake but I live in WA which only have a limited few snakes you can own ;(

How big is your enclosure stimmylove. I have got an 8 month Stimmy that's in with a heat fan and we have had no trouble with it so far. But he Is in a 4ft enclosure as we will be getting a lover for him soon lol :)

Digitaliss,

I think their performance is very much dependent on the enclosure – such factors as dimensions, ventilation, and rate of heat loss. They do not suit all enclosures.

If a ceramic heat emitter is too hot then try a fully coloured bulb of a lower wattage. This should be enclosed in a wire guard and you should be able to hold your hand on that guard indefinitely. If you cannot do that, then you either need a larger cage for that lamp or a lamp of lower wattage. This is the most reliable test to ensure that snakes will not burn themselves.

Blue

Digitaliss,

I think their performance is very much dependent on the enclosure – such factors as dimensions, ventilation, and rate of heat loss. They do not suit all enclosures.

If a ceramic heat emitter is too hot then try a fully coloured bulb of a lower wattage. This should be enclosed in a wire guard and you should be able to hold your hand on that guard indefinitely. If you cannot do that, then you either need a larger cage for that lamp or a lamp of lower wattage. This is the most reliable test to ensure that snakes will not burn themselves.

Blue

Thanks for the advise Blue, but my issue with putting proper lamps into the enclosure I have is that there is only a limited height. By the time I put in a lamp and a cage there would be very little space between it and the top of the basking spot. It has been frustrating and something I did not consider when I purchased it and I really should have.

It is not that it gets too hot, I have never even been able to fit one in, which is why partly why I chose the fan heater, it is fairly compact and I don't need the cage, which takes up space I do not have.

I am very tempted to edit the cage a little to get one to fit, it may just be that I am too stubborn with how I want things arranged that I am blinded to how things could be done. Looking at it now, taking into consideration what you have said, I may spend this weekend measuring up to see how I can fit a normal globe/ceramic plus a cage in.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big is your enclosure stimmylove. I have got an 8 month Stimmy that's in with a heat fan and we have had no trouble with it so far. But he Is in a 4ft enclosure as we will be getting a lover for him soon lol :)

My stimi is about 2 years old and she lives in a 90 x 45 x 60cm cage. she has the usual ceramic light setup now and is thriving :) I was told to use the heat lamp and a heat rock. The rock burnt the snake, but to my knowledge, the lamp never harmed her.

My stimi is about 2 years old and she lives in a 90 x 45 x 60cm cage. she has the usual ceramic light setup now and is thriving :) I was told to use the heat lamp and a heat rock. The rock burnt the snake, but to my knowledge, the lamp never harmed her.

I have always been very worried about this and fuss constantly over the heat rock that I have in with mine, which is again due to the fact that I don't think I could fit in a lights to keep her hot over night and you cannot get night versions of the fan light. Initially I was allowing her to cool overnight and just had the fan light in, but was recommended by the vet to keep her warm over night too, so the rock was added.

I think it may be my project with weekend to try and get a normal light/ceramic to fit as I have not been happy with her heating for a while and have been stressing about it.

Have you tried a heat mat. We decided on that instead of heat rock because of what iv heard about them

Have you tried a heat mat. We decided on that instead of heat rock because of what iv heard about them

The tank has a relatively thick wooden floor, so a heat mat is a no go in my opinion. I have also been recommended against a heat mat by a couple of people who I have discussed my enclosure with due to this fact.

Oh k we have a wooden floor as well. We just bury ours under the walnut shells which we use in our tank and have never had a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back