heat rock use

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

obetto

Reaction score
I have a diamond python that is 2 years old and he will not use my heat rock I bought is there any way of making him use it

If he's too warm he won't want to use it. It's also winter at the moment, and diamonds in particular like to cool down over the cooler months. Those, and the fact heat rocks create belly heat and most morelia like overhead heat could be contributing to it.

I would get rid of the heat rock as they have a bad reputation of catching fire.

Given the history of heat rocks malfunctioning and injuring snakes I would be glad if my snake was not going near it!

There are much safer and more effective options. I doubt you will find many experienced keepers that will recommend heat rock at all. I acknowledge there are one or two high quality products apparently on the market now. Unfortunately the greater majority aren't.

Any reason why you are specifically using a heat rock as opposed to a heat mat or heat cord, or light based heating?

And for burning animals even when working "normally"

Nah Saximus, heat rocks are great. So are those green plastic heat mats.:shock:not
Obetto, your diamond has clearly heard the reputation heat rocks have. A heat mat of heat cord would be a better/safer option if your after surface heating IMO.
-J:D

Last edited:
yeah I would have to agree. Ditch the heatrock they are dangerous and unpredictable. Get a good exo terra heatmat and connect it to a thermostat. Problem solved :)

Trying not to repeat what has already been said previously.... The problem with them is that Heat rocks heat up fast and to a high temp and retain heat to a point of scalding, I saw a young monitor brought into the vet i happened to be in that had cooked full thickness burns into its belly, poor thing had to be euthanised, I would never use any heat rock as they are too unstable IMO... A caged basking light in conjunction with a thermostat would be more beneficial for the diamond and would pose less risk of burning him/her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back