Heating for Stimson python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshanthony

Reaction score
Hi guys, I apologise if this has already come up on previous threads here.
I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could tell me about heating for a Stimson python hatchling. I will use a small click clack system and transfer to it a melamine enclosure later on. I'm just wondering if a heat coil would be enough and if so what wattage? I'm on some what of a budget and would prefer not to have to use a thermostat right away.

any other suggestions of getting the correct heating without breaking the bank?

I have a Stimson and use a heat coil with my click clack.
No way would I ever not use a thermostat though.

Even on a budget you should be able to afford a simple on/off thermostat which is fine for a cord on a click-clack. Without it, the cord can heat up to 40+deg, which aint good. It is possible to raise the click-clack off the cord using risers to get the correct temp, or using a tile to disperse the heat and spacing the cord further apart, but isnt worth IMO. Try to get a thermo

Thanks for that. Am I right in thinking the cord goes under the click clack or enclosure? Is it possible for it to inside it? Looking on eBay I can see some cheap on off thermostats so that's not a problem now.

Yep my heat cord is underneath the click clack. I then hae the plastic layer of the click clack and then a tile.

Ok thanks. What would I do for a melamine enclosure? Perhaps stick the cord to the underside of a tile?

No idea.
I only know what works for me lol
I've just got a little plastic click clack.
I'm sure somebody will come along who has a clue soon though!

I disagree, I prefer to not use thermostats at all where possible. This is because I have had several thermostats fail, most were cheaper types, but one of them was a top of the line one. If you don't use a thermostat, and have the enclosure set up in such a way that the maximum output of your heating element is sufficient but not so much as to pose a danger to your reptile, it's much better for peace of mind, you'll never have to worry that the thermostat will malfunction and cause the reptile to overheat.
For a click clack, I would get a piece of timber the same size as the click clack, and use a router to create grooves for the heat cord, with a small tile under half so that the heat is evenly dispersed. if the hot end is getting too hot, remove some coils from the heat cord or get a lower wattage heat cord.

Just remember heat will kill your stimi quicker than the cold....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back