Heating issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVic

Reaction score
Hi folks,

New to the forum. first post other than the introductory one.

I'm acquiring a Centralian Python who is 14.5 years old. He lives is a 6 foot converted fish tank.

We've taken temperature measurements above his heat mat and it's a very poor 19-22c :(
He had lived on newspaper only but has since been "upgraded" to a shredded coconut substrate we are unable to get the temperature up closer to what it should be.
We have bought a couple of 60w ceramic heat emitters to place one above his heat mat, 1st 1/3 of the vivarium, a second ceramic heat emitter in the 2nd/3rd of the vivarium (middle) and no heating in the 3rd/3rd of the vivarium in order to create a nice temperature gradient for Bob.

We shopped at Victorian reptiles and bought the ceramic bases, emitters and a $25 Cookson thermostat. No idea how to wire it up or how it is supposed to work without a temperature probe. When I asked the question I was told "I'm not an electrician".
It's all too hard with what he's given me so we have opted to return the thermostat and buy something that is a lot more user friendly, a plug and play solution.

So a lot of hunting around on the net returned several results. The Herp shop was close and had reasonable prices on their website. we call, no answer. Send them an email, no reply, call them the next day, no answer.
Time to move on to someone that actually want's my money :)

Victorian reptiles doesn't have stock of this or that which is a shame as they are the closest to me.

We am after a couple of lamp cages and thermostats to install the heat emitters asap to get the temperature up.

A question, Should we use two thermostats or can we simply run both heaters off of the one thermostat?

Sorry for long post.

Vic

Only need one thermostat, and really only one CHE. You'll have more problems with temps having him in a glass tank too being in Tarneit.
I'll pm you some info on where to go for supplies...

In relation to the thermostats you may require two but that will depend on the distance of the Ceramic heat emitted and what obstacles are in the way of the thermostat probe. I had two set up because on thermostat probe was located under his hide where he would be, and the other was placed near his basking spot. There was only a little distance between the two but if i only had one thermostat it wouldve only read either the heat cord or the CHE. Meaning one or the other would continue heating up until it couldn't get any hotter.

In relation to the two CHE, you will probably only need one. You will find it hard with the glass like Jacknife stated, I had my fella in one and the ambient temp wouldnt go much higher then 26 degrees, but I just made sure the basking spot and hot hide was of correct temps.

As already stated glass enclosures are terrible for keeping heat. That said, it's possible to set them up adequately. It just costs more to heat than a wooden glass fronted viv.

If I were you, I would:

1. Only use one heat source.
  2. One Thermostat.
  3. Ditch the heat mat (you're trying to heat through substrate. Easy through newspaper, but harder through what you are using).
  4. One CHE is fine. I'd probably use 100w, but a 60W is okay. Measure the heat on the ground directly under it, with a probe thermometer or a temp gun. The thermostat probe should be off to the side of the che down low. Further away the warmer the hot spot gets.
  5. If the ground isnt getting to 32 degrees. Put a platform in so the snake can sit closer to the CHE. Measure the temp on top of the platform.
  6. Do not go off the setting on the thermostat. Measure the hot spot with a thermometer.
  7. Buy "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" and "Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity".
  8. MAKE SURE THE CHE HAS A CAGE THAT YOU CAN TOUCH WITH YOUR HAND WHEN THE CHE IS GOING FLAT OUT. (Not yelling emphasising)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back