Heavy jail sentence handed down to reptile smuggler

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know farmers shoot some birds over there as pests, some of these birds are worth $1000's in other countries, I fail to see why they can't be caught & sold, this in turn would create revenue which could be spent on enforcing illegal import/export.
What does everyone else think?

I couldnt agree more!

Re the destruction, yes its a shame! First time ive heard of any real sentence for herp smuggling, though it seems the gov is more worried about them coming than going out, going by relative sentences!
Im glad my shingle didnt end up sushi...i mean..a pet in japan.
Now if we can convince the japanese to 'scientifically sudy' cats, n cane toads, were on a winner! :)

just saw this..

Do you want to know what our government department did with it? They put it in a furnace in front of the guy while he was restrained.
We're talking about an animal that had lived here for at least a few years (and was born here!!) and they still killed it in the most in-humane way becuase of 'the risk of desease'.
I reckon that the people who actually throw the animals in there (the furnace) must be sick, twisted individuals. Makes me sick. Worse still, the people who authorise such things can sleep at night!

Im horrified beyond words, surely you dont mean they burnt it alive? That seems like an incredible claim Im not saying your lying, I just find it incomprehensible that anyone can be so cruel, legally or otherwise.
Im shocked!
If it was dead then thats not a big deal although they could have spared the owner the greif. Burning animals are not a pretty site, I know.
Certainly I couldnt sleep at night cremating animals alive! :shock:

Im glad my shingle didnt end up sushi...i mean..a pet in japan.
Surely you don't mean... no, they couldn't, could they... it's just unthinkable. EAT a shingleback?? Really? :shock: :cry:

I know, Instar. It's horrific, isn't it. I'm trying not to think about it, but I keep having these awful visions of one of my pets being thrown into a fire.

I'm sorry to say that I am 100% serious, and the boa was 100% alive at the time, and trust me, I wish that I was lying :(

In the end we are all pissed off with what happened to these animals i hope that if anyone knows anyone in the quarintine dept they get in there ear and tell them how poor an efort it was on there behalf. if they give you any attitude tell them that there are 1600 people here that will do a better job than they will.

Hey Matto, don't assume people from Quarantine aren't among those 1600. The matter of these animals being destroyed is for a couple of simple reasons. 1st, the animals are exotic, and hence could possibly carry a number of unwanted nasties, and 2ndly, I do believe it is standard proceedure to offer them to zoos, of which none have apparently accepted for whatever reasons. And of the matter with the Boa, I find it hard to believe the Department of Sustainability and Environment would do such a thing. Not to say it didn't happen, I just can't understand why they would destroy it in such a manner.

Cheers Rossco.

Rossagon said:
Hey Matto, don't assume people from Quarantine aren't among those 1600.
:twisted: PMSL, I hear they sneak in with the humans Roscoe.

Three and a half years isn't nearly long enough. But it's a start.

:roll:

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back