help my heat mat blew!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I.Like.Stuff

Reaction score
After weeks and weeks of eager (and impatient) waiting on licence and permits etc... we finally got our first snakes tonight! 2 diamond python hatchies.

They finally arrived about 11pm (7 hours late, thanks AAE) i put them in their seperate enclosures and was happily watching them explore their new home when i noticed a spark coming from near the tanks. The heat mat has a hole burned into it and i dont know how the hell i can keep my new babies warm tonight untill i can do something tomorrow. Luckily i was watching and saw it before it burnt the snake or melted the tank.
Please help... any ideas?
I dont have any other heat mats or cords, i live in melbourne and its been freezing at nights. I can leave my ducted on but they wont have the warm side cold side.

Oh, by the way, i'd had the tanks set up for roughly 12 hours before i put the snakes in, snakes where only in 20 mins tops

do you have a desk lamp that you can "focus" the bulb on?
If so use that to put light on top of both and place 2 sheets of paper on each to provide shade if you know what i mean

HTH

Just turn your heating on, try and get room temp up to 28 degrees and they'll be fine for the night.

There diamonds, they will be fine.

If your really worried for the night then just make sure they have a nice little hide they can snuggle up in, they will be ok till ya get a new one.

Thanks, have got heater on and will set up a lamp, they both have nice snug little hides. They are my first snakes, I have been so excited and looking forward to them but I just seem to be having the worst luck!
Tomorrow is another day!

if you have a hot water bottle handy then use that, if the diamonds get too cold they will seek it out. always a good idea to keep a few around the house with all the power failers melb gets :)
good luck
cheers
lisa and al

(7 hours late, thanks AAE)
First of all I doubt very much that the delay was under the control of A.A.E!

That said, what sort of heat mat was it? One that was pre-wired or one that you had to wire or have wired yourself?

africancichlidau said:
(7 hours late, thanks AAE)
First of all I doubt very much that the delay was under the control of A.A.E!

Snakes got were lodged at aae at 12.20 pm. supposed to go on 2 pm flight sydney to melb. Somehow got sent sent to canberra. we went to pick up at 4pm, then they realised the mix up and put them on next flight to melb. supposed to land 6.40 pm. supposed to be couriered to us by 8 pm. I ring to find out why they not here at 8.30pm, was told "oh sorry mix up with drivers they will be leaving here in 10 mins. should be to you in an hour." 9.30, 10.30 and 11pm i call back "where are my snakes?" They did not arrive untill 11.10pm

During this ordeal, the staff were polite and friendly while we were there, but every time i rang to querey what was taking so long they were very short and rude, like it was somehow my fault! I honestly do not believe they had even organised a courier intil i called them at 8.30pm.
Maybe i caught them on a bad day but i dont know who else's fault it could have been and the customer service was very poor.
Oh well i'm happy now, i have my snakes!

funny enough AAE are responable for my snakes not arriving last night, they came from nth QLD, to brisbane to sydney to newcastle and we to pick them up and they weren't there, its a 4 hour round trip for me to get to the airport, after all the hassles i still don't have my snakes but they are in brisbane still and didn't get sent down

A couple of weeks ago I had some snakes sent down from FNQ and they stopped at Brisbane and then carried on to Sydney and then many hours later they came back to Brisbane. All because the people unloading didn't read the very obvious tag on the box. It happens, alot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... ring before you pick your herps up!
AAE mess me around at least 50% of the time.
Usually it's just that someone "forgets" to put the box on the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back