Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH durr me! Green Tree Python! how magnificent are they! wow lol
although I do have to make sure Eve has a good home to live in permantly before I even think about my next new friend lol so I think this tank will have to be converted and Ill have to find another snake suitable for the bottom half of her tank ;)
yep i confess I am addicted already! (Im also fixing my old frog tank I made years ago now that I have found where I can get some frogs from!! ) lol AND Im really liking the idea of a tarantula aswell....

When i got my spotted pyton i went through the same thing as you very snappy snake which i didnt like so i talked to alot of people and one person gave me this advice trun off the florecent light it dosent need it leave it alone for a week or two dont touch it let it settle into its new enviroment.
So i did that and i went to the point of putting a blind on the front of its enclosure so we couldnt see each other.
And you know what it worked still snappy but handable hope this helps you
I have read other people advice and its all very good advice
So good luck with your snake it will be fine.

is there a heat matt under that click clack?

as far as food goes, i feed my 6 month old childreni which is 32cm 2 pinkies each feed, but will upgrade to fuzzies when the pinkies are gone

No, I dont have a heat mat under the little tank... but will try to sort that out tomorrow lol. she is inside the big tank though so she is still heated, but will probably go and see Neo this weekend and get a heat mat .... and put a deposit on a tarantula lol
She was alot calmer when i gave her an extra feed this afternoon, I will be upgrading her feeds for the next feed though, Im sure she is starving ontop of bieng stressed out. Poor little girl. I am much more determined that i will get it sorted though, i love her to bits already. There is no option other then to either put up with her bieng cranky or, my choice is to keep trying to get her used to bieng handled. (after giving her some time to adjust) Next time I go to pick her up Im just going to let her bite me as much as she wants, that way she will learn im not going to hurt her and I will learn shes not actually going to hurt me lol

snakes work on instinct. its most likley not going to learn that you arnt there to harm it, even if it bites you 2345345656413456532 times.

hatchlies are usually snappy, but with age they will supposedly calm down.

the breeder i bought my little guy off said that they dont give you love back. i tend to go buy that now. just yesterday i was cleaning my little guys tub and had him on my bed for all of 2 minutes. i went to pick him up and he arched right up into the strike mode, and struck a few times but missed. dont expect the python to snuggle up, or not bite you if its scared or pissed off, they dont live by emotion, they live by instinct

also, get a heat matt sorted asap. a doubt its getting hot enough in the tub and there wouldnt be much of a temperature gradient.

a little more research into this wouldnt of gone a stray

snakes work on instinct. its most likley not going to learn that you arnt there to harm it, even if it bites you 2345345656413456532 times.

hatchlies are usually snappy, but with age they will supposedly calm down.

the breeder i bought my little guy off said that they dont give you love back. i tend to go buy that now. just yesterday i was cleaning my little guys tub and had him on my bed for all of 2 minutes. i went to pick him up and he arched right up into the strike mode, and struck a few times but missed. dont expect the python to snuggle up, or not bite you if its scared or pissed off, they dont live by emotion, they live by instinct

also, get a heat matt sorted asap. a doubt its getting hot enough in the tub and there wouldnt be much of a temperature gradient.

a little more research into this wouldnt of gone a stray
while snakes might be foreign to love, they will certainly learn fairly quickly that you don't pose a threat to them if you handle them often, and put them away as soon as they start to flip out.

To Shep: all this tank stuff sounds pretty complicated, just remember some basic rules.

Make sure there is absolutely no way your snake can escape.

Make sure if you add a heat mat to the enclosure that you don't cook your snake. use a thermometer or a thermostat with a good probe or two.

And failing that, don't let it get too cold. remember, heat rises, so a lamp that is too high up might not heat the bottom of a tank, but a heat mat might push the temp up too far. It's much better to have a temp a little bit too low than a little bit too high. As long as the minimum temp is above 22 - 25 or so, you'll be fine. Try putting the thermometer/probes in different areas, because it can differ drastically from one end to another. Also, as someone else said, if it's stressed, it will go to its hide no matter what end it's at, cool or hot, so perhaps have one at each end.

There are some infra red/laser thermometers on herp trader at the moment for instant readings, you could always get one of those too.

Thought I would update this with a pic of my newly renovated tank.... suprise suprise there is now room (with a bit of work) for another underneath her. (yep I am addicted) She is still very snappy but I am taking it slowly and bieng patient. I have upgraded her food to pinkie rats as Ive been told that these will provide her with more nutrition then mice and she is big enough to have them. (I was also told that if it is to big she wont eat it, is that true?) I havent fed her again yet, she isnt due until Friday, Im 100% sure she will appreicate a bigger feed!
She also now has a heat mat!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back