Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptililian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a little incident which occured a few days ago so I might prevent it from happening again.

I was sitting on the lounge and Circe (my 3m coastal girl) was at her usual spot on top of the bookshelf beside me. It is about 2m high, so she was some distance above me.

I heard a noise and glanced up, and there was Circe all coiled back in strike pose, pointing directly at me! I wasn't too sure what was going on so I just sat there contemplating the situation. After about 40 seconds of us both sitting there waiting, she suddenly struck down at me! She missed me by a good 20 or 30cm, but she was definately aiming for me. And due to the sheer size of her head, she is the one snake in my collection I REALLY don't want to be bitten by.

WHY DID SHE STRIKE ????

When we first got her she was a cranky, hissy thing and noone would go anywhere near her. After some gentle and patient work, she has become one of my dearest and favourites. She is only ever in her enclosure for feeding and digestion, and spends the rest of the time free-ranging. She even has her own heatmat on top of the bookshelf which she uses when she feels a little chilly.

This "attack" was so deliberate and meditated, and I just don't understand what incited her to do it. I had not handled any prey items that day so definately did not smell delicious. However, I had just returned from a walk and was quite warm. At the time I was eating lime gelato from the tub. Could the temps have had anything to do with it?

ANY help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Lily

Lily, I think the simple answer is that they are all wild animals to some extent . Some species are generally quite placid, Womas for example, others are less so like Jungles or Scrubbies. Your snake was really just doing what it does, they hunt or the defend themselves. It may have seen you as a threat, you might have moved quickly which frightened it but at the end of the day it is being a coastal and they can never really be 100% trusted all the time. Snakes in general are not 100% predictable, I have been bitten by snakes that have never shown any hint of aggression, this is why free handling venomous snakes is fraught with danger.
This may not be the answer you are looking for but in the end instinct takes over and they react, often not how we want them to. :)

Thanks Boa. I understand about the wild animal thing, and that they have an innate nature and work according to it, but this was so deliberate. I hadn't made any sudden movements or noises. Had just plonked myself onto the lounge about 10 minutes beforehand to eat my gelato and watch some teev. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary had happened, and I am really perplexed as to what may have triggered her. I can't think of anything she would have been reacting to. And her strike was definately planned, I could see her slowly, slowly, slightly moving towards me before the strike. She took her time before she acted!

Tell me about jungles :roll: I got bitten right in the middle of the forehead by one a couple of weeks ago. Not a good look! She is a very feisty strong-willed snake though, and I've had several near misses from her. It was bound to happen some time!

The snake was probably just picking up odours and body heat coming off you Reptilian since you'd just come home all hot and sweaty(pause as the image goes thru my very efficient imagination). Being in an advantageous position above you the snake felt ''cocky'', hehe.

HELP: my snake tried to eat me!

newtosnakes said:
she is just a typical female, moody and probably had pms.... :lol:

:lol: Damn straight! After she tried to eat me she then went on a smashing spree, breaking a beautiful chinese statue and a glass candle holder! This was in protest to me trying to put her back in her enclosure.

Those lesbian snakes, you've sure gotta keep your eye on them, right Parko! :wink:

i guess you looked good enough for her to eat, lol,

other then that she just wanted to let you know she was boss,

i've had a few of our most placid coastals just bit for no reason other then they just felt like it, i wouldn't be worried unless she starts doing it all the time, then i would look at stoping her from sitting above your head as most snakes hang above their prey and strike down,

cheers,
steve..........

ps, pics next time, lol, or it didn't happen, you know the rules,

Thanks Steve. She's been perfectly well behaved since then, and is back up there now.

I try to always be mindful that they may suddenly strike for no apparent reason, but even when everyone was scared of her when she was cranky and hissy, she never actually tried to strike anyone. So not only was this out of character, but it was such a weird way to have a snake strike at me. It usually happens quickly, not in the pre-planned, pre-meditated way in which she did it.

*sigh* I'm learning all the time.

PS Pics? Have I ever put up pics of anything?? :lol:
PSS It was lime gelato with extra lime juice added too. The very best thing I've ever tasted, and my new staple food! I didn't realise she was such a fan of citrus!

PS Pics? Have I ever put up pics of anything??
Well maybe none of it ever happened :lol:

Just joking, I've never put a pic up either.

Rennie, you haven't even put up a pic of your back. How can we be sure you even exist???

Mr Bredli, you claim I'm tasty as if you know! Where be these pics you saw?? And how has a serious thread about my snake attacking me deteriorated into a discussion on my looks?? Sdaji is gonna pick on me again :(

It's not a discussion it's a statement of the facts. I have only seeen pics of your back but that's all i need, princess :wink:

What I want to know, (besides why no one else picked up on this), is what precautions were in place should this 3 metre coastal strike and coil on you?

This snake has the potential to kill and it is free ranging the home and has now shown you that although it is a darling and has never done this before, and this might have been all bluff... what if it wasn't, what if it did complete the strike and constrict you.

Do you have someone there with you when this snake is free ranging ? Someone that can remove the snake from you as it coils and starts to eat your gelati and you are unable to call for help?

:(

Isn't ANYONE going to suggest that perhaps I have a face like a rat, and that's why Circe tried to eat me? You have a lively imagination, Mr B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back