Help With Feeding Size/age?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davobmx

Reaction score
I would like to know what is recommended to feed my south west carpet python, it is between 8-9months old I have only had it for 2 days and is due for a feed, Im in no hurry as she is settling in still, i was told from the dealer she was on baby mice not pinkys ( but forget to get specific size) 1 every 7-9 days. I have weaner mice on hand but not to sure if these are too large for her. The mice are under twice the size of her widest section, but still not sure.
Could you please give me your opinion on feeding size and how to feed.

I would call the breeder and ask... otherwise maybe post a pic of your python next to something of standard size (such as a lighter or something)... might be able to judge from that.

There are lots of threads on here which outline how to feed a snake. I generally put the rodent in a ziplock bag and defrost them in warm/hot water, then warm them up under warm water, I crush the skull of the rodent a bit with tongs, just for poops and giggles (and so they smell it more), and dangle it in front of the snake or the hide using tongs... some of my snakes are happy for me to chuck them in the enclosure and they'll go looking for it...

I would ask those questions to the breeder though.

You'd be surprised at what they'd take. At 8-9 months, depending on what she has been fed previously could be on sub-adult or even adult mice. If it is under twice the size of her widest section she'll laugh that down :lol: . Thaw them out and give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back