Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Plain_Nuts

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
1.Could the water of a freshwater aquarium be suitable for drinking water of a snake
2.Would a snake be likely to try to eat these freshwater fish( small tetras)
3.If it would catch a fish would it be bad for it ( residual chemicals in fish)

I've heard and seen pic's of some coastals having fish in there diets and there was nothing wrong with it. also I don't see anything wrong with an aquarium water being bad ether I owned a snake once that used to love swimming in my fish tank and try catch the fish. as long as there's no chemicals in it I don't think theres a problem...whats everyone elses thoughts?

my only concern would be if you get a break out of white spot or something like that and you need to put treatments in the water would that have any effect on the snake? I cant see the water being a problem for the snake as they could drink the water droplets that form above the water from evaporation, but on the bottles for white spot they say not for use on fish intended for food consumption

1.Could the water of a freshwater aquarium be suitable for drinking water of a snake Reason?
2.Would a snake be likely to try to eat these freshwater fish( small tetras) what species of snake?
3.If it would catch a fish would it be bad for it ( residual chemicals in fish) ???

White spot remedy contains formaldehyde - no good for snakes or any other animal

ok so in case of disease i could remove the fish and treat there then clean the water?? How common are things like white spot?

Reason: I'm building an enclosure that has a waterfall running into an aquarium at the bottom
Diamond snake

Fish get white spot from stress check your fish before you buy or treat fish before you add them to the snake pond

humidity problems causing scale rot?
I'd be careful as to what species of reptile you'd be putting in there....

1.Could the water of a freshwater aquarium be suitable for drinking water of a snake
2.Would a snake be likely to try to eat these freshwater fish( small tetras)
3.If it would catch a fish would it be bad for it ( residual chemicals in fish)

1. The water would be fine for drinking provided that you maintain your freshwater aquarium properly
2. Depends on species but not likely
3. I am not sure 100% on this but IMO if that fish had been treated at some point or another for white spot there may be a possibility that there could be some residual chemicals in the fish...... I'll check w/ my husband when he gets home (he has been in the aquarium industry for 14 years)

As far as if you need to treat your fish should you have any problems with white spot or anything else, keep a small tank available that you can setup (bare-bottom tank) as a hospital tank should the need arise, you just remove them from the main aquarium/enclosure and treat them in that.

You should try to avoid treating sick fish in your main tank wherever possible as it does affect the biology of the tank overall and the bacteria. ( as in kills the good stuff )

as said should be fine, id stay away from tetra's they tend to get whitespot at the drop of a hat, go for something hardy that is nye on impervious to water conditions and stress, you could go for something native like purple spot gudgeons

I don't think your diamond python would eat small tetras but the-s-word has a point. The environment may be too humid for a diamond. Set up like that would be good for a keelback, GTS, water python and frogs but I wouldn't put a diamond in.

Fish get white spot from stress check your fish before you buy or treat fish before you add them to the snake pond

Sorry, Im not trying to be arguementative here but you shouldnt treat your fish for white spot unless they have it (you can see it). So in other words dont treat before you add them as a preventative, it doesnt work like that but for example if you already had fish in there and you want to add more a bit later use your hospital tank to quarantine them for 2 to 4 weeks then add them to the main population but if they are the first lot to go in then you can just put them straight into the main aquarium and then if you need to remove them later (put them in the hospital tank) if they become sick.

3. I am not sure 100% on this but IMO if that fish had been treated at some point or another for white spot there may be a possibility that there could be some residual chemicals in the fish...... I'll check w/ my husband when he gets home (he has been in the aquarium industry for 14 years)

Any residual chemicals in the fish's body would be so minor they should not pose a threat to the snake's health. Build up of chemicals transfered up the food chain usually happen over extended exposure to prey items infected.

thanks for all the input guys and gals. I love the neon tetras and their size is practical. The aquarium part will be 60cm x 90cm x 45cm I have given the humidity a lot of thought and will overcome it by lots of ventilation and minimizing the heating in the water

saw this enclosure today at the GC reptile expo. Just Plain Nuts! Literally! It blew my mind. If only I had the dosh to treat my gorgeous jungle python to a home like that! You will deffinately be hearing from me one day, though! Absoltely amazing enclosures! Keep up the good work!

yeah - saw this at GC reptile expo - amazing, very talented and great ideas there.

Diamond Python Feeding

Just thinking aloud here, but might not allowing the python to feed on fish which are exotic to the snake's native habitat carry risk of pathogens it is not adapted to cope with ?

Example, I am in Darwin and have a Diamond Python (with a Permit to Keep Prohibited Entrant). He was eyeing off a green tree frog which was just outside his enclosure, and I was tempted to chuck the frog in. But I thought no, a southern snake eating a tropical frog - Lord knows what mysterious tropical pathogens might be introduced to the snake, and might it not cope?

(You know, the old story about eskimos being decimated by the common cold when introduced by explorers ....)

yeah was talking to some one the other day that feed convits fish to their snakes with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back