Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonno, thanks very much for posting that summary of those books, very helpful :D

If anyone has Dave and Tracey Barker's "Pythons of the World, Volume One: Australia" available send me a pm.

G'day Mr Boyd,

I have a signed copy (both Dave and Tracey) available. It is missing the dustjacket, but it is in good condition. $200.

Cheers

I hope my comments aren't considered biased, due to being a sponsor and owning Herp Books. I was a reptile book fanatic long before I owned the book store.

It all depends on what you're interests are. For captive husbandry/breeding, of course you can't go past Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards by Mike Swan. They contain lots of very useful information, but they are designed to be affordable reference guides, rather than impressive collector's items such as Dave and Tracey Barker's "Pythons of the World, Volume One: Australia". Although it's out of print, it comes up for sale a few times a year and is worth the price just for the amazing photographs, many of which are of rare localities/specimens.

The number one book that anybody with even the slightest interest in reptiles should read is Rick Shine's Australian Snakes - A Natural History. This book will make everything make sense...it's due for an update but it's still a very modern book.

If you're looking for a field guide, the only one to go for is A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Swan and Wilson. It's regularly updated, contains every species officially recorded in Australia and is easy to use. There are several state and "area" based field guides too, but they aren't necessarily considered a bible. The latest edition Cogger is now 11 years old and is quickly losing it's place as a relevant reference book.

There is a ton of readily available, out-of-print Australian books out there that are desired though - Ehmann, Wilson and Knowles etc, but they haven't reached the "must have, bible" status of the others I mentioned above.

Nice summary Jonno,
Cheers, I have every one of those which makes it all the nicer.

G'day Mr Boyd,

I have a signed copy (both Dave and Tracey) available. It is missing the dustjacket, but it is in good condition. $200.

Cheers

Just out of interest, how much would it be worth with a dust cover? It is a pretty piece of paper.

With a dustcover, I'd put it at ~$300. Those pretty pieces of paper can make or break a book.

i used the kaplans' books (R. D. Bartlett and others, left them @ indo tho atm), including anapsid.org and various other sites + forums like this and kingsnake

Defs 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' edited by Mike Swan. I bought it yesterday and couldn't put it down and now I have finished reading! I highly recommend it, I have never finished a book that quickly!

Defs 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' edited by Mike Swan. I bought it yesterday and couldn't put it down and now I have finished reading! I highly recommend it, I have never finished a book that quickly!

what publication (year)?

I remember discussion about a reference book on keeping elapids in the last 12 months or so on this forum or another, does anyone have more information on the development of this book?

G'day Diprotodon,

From memory...

Pseudonaja nuchalis has been split into three species
Demansia has an extra 4-5 species
Oxyuranus has a new species
Cryptoblepharus has many new species
Egernia has been split into 3 genera, and has several new species
A lot of freshwater turtles have been reclassified, with new species described and old species synonymised.
Several new species of Leaf Tailed Gecko.
At least one new species of Oedura
Two new species of Pygopus
At least one new species of Varanus
One new recognised species of Acanthophis

That's just off the top of my head. No doubt there have been new Ctenotus, Lerista etc described...and I have absolutely no idea what has happened taxonomically with regards to frogs in the last 11 years.

Ahh thats why I couldn't find the good ole Land mullet!

Grizz,
The elapid book from what I hear in nearing completion

Cheers,
Scott

My "bibles" are the Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia (2010 version, just sold the previous edition!) and Reptile Medicine and Surgery, D.A. Mader.

Mind you, the last mentioned book isn't really suitable for bedtime reading - a bit on the heavy side! :)

Jonno, thank you so much for your "abbreviated" list of must haves - nice to know I have a couple of those in my collection!

Best,
Carolyn

I would love to have a read of "Pythons of the World". I am sure its worth the value it gets but can't afford the price for that unfortunately. But I have a copy of Richard Shine's "Australian Snakes - A Natural History". Great reading. Its not just a reference book, it is very interesting reading. Learnt a lot from this book.

I have Swan and Wilson's "A complete guide to Reptiles of Australia". My dictionary when it comes it identifying reptiles. I didn't know King Browns were part of the blacksnake family before reading through this book.

I also have a borrowed book by Ross Marzec called "Reproductive Husbandry of Pythons and Boas". This is MY bible when I breed my pythons. I might only have a pair of "ordinary" carpets but I have learnt and still learn heaps from this book. I've bred my pythons twice and twice have had 100% success - many thanks to Pythoninfinite and also his book that I have.

Also have John Weigal's book where I learnt to legalities and safety of keeping venomous snakes.

Three others I can recommend are "Understanding Reptile Parasites by Roger J. Klingenberg" and "What's Wrong with my Snake by john Rossi". These two books have been a lifesaver for me and my snakes. When something goes wrong and you cannot get to a reptile-orientated vet, if you know what you need, the closest vet can give you the medication. I took both books in with me once, showed the vet this is what is wrong, that is what I need. I have only ever done this once, and thankfully it paid off but I can usually get my snakes in same day with my repti-vet who is 70km away.

One more is for the beardies - Another written by Roger Klingenberg and a few others, its called "The Bearded Dragon Manual". Great little reference book for looking after your beardie and frillies. Did you know that 4 hours of natural sunlight is the equivalent to 10 hours of artificial UV light? I didn't have UV lights for our dragons. We took them outside in the sunshine which is cheaper, doesn't need replacing and works much better.

Ah yes, "Understanding Reptile Parasites" was a VERY handy book when I first started out, but now I have the BIG "bible", I find I only refer to Dr Klingenberg's book for some photos and life-cycles of some parasites. The other book you mention Kathy, "What's wrong with my Snake?" has also been a godsend!

I found both these titles very useful in the beginning, as they are very well written and easy to understand (that's saying something for me!) - both definitely "must haves" in any herper's library!

Best,
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back