Hey there, from Townsville :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Payth

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Patrick, I'm from Townsville, QLD.
First time on this forum, and I'm hoping to get a lot out of joining, whether I get to meet some new people with a similar obsession, or just gather a ton of knowledge about reptiles.

I don't actually own a pet reptile (I know, it's so sad), but I'm hoping to change that VERY soon. I'm more obsessed with lizards then anything, but I still love all the other scaly creatures.

I am really looking for info. on other types of lizards that a beginner would be able to keep, besides blue-tongues or bearded dragons. Though, it seems they might be my only option, considering that is pretty much all that I can find available.

I would LOVE a Shingleback, but from what I have read, they are difficult to keep up here on the coast. The last thing I want for my pets is to torture or kill them because of me being inexperienced :shock:

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated :)

Hey Patrick. :)

Always awesome to see people doing their research before getting their first reptile.

I don't have lizards any more, but I think they're awesome. As long as you do your research and get your husbandry right you really should have no issues keeping a Shingleback. I know of a couple people who keep them successfully up the coast. You may also want to read up about Central Netted Dragons to see if they would suit you?

Or if you're not confident about keeping them you could get yourself a high coloured beardy (yellow or orange look awesome), they're a little different to your average brown/grey toned ones.

Thank you for the response, the suggestion and the info. :)
I will have to do a quick look into the Central Netted Dragon, and I hope it's not too hard to get my hands on one either, that's if I do choose them.
I still hope there is more of a variety of beginner lizards to choose from though :D

hello, you'll like this site, FULL of info and tips :)
the for sale sections handy too lol
good luck learning and eventually getting a repile of your own :)

Thank you! :)
I think I am already becoming obsessed. I Love seeing images of other peoples lizards and their setups.
It's kind of a tease though :p

hahaha yes its easy to become obsessed on here, i got my first snake, didnt even last a week and bought a second one :p

Hey there Ambush :)

@Kelly86 did your first snake die? or did you mean that you were so obsessed that you -needed- a second one? :O

Hello and welcome to the forum... This site is an amazing source for all information, and everyone seems to be very helpful... I started off with 1 coastal carpet when I started using this site, and now I have 9 gorgeous snakes, and a bearded dragon...I have recently found a love for gecko's and cant wait to finish my set up so I can own some! This site is very bad for those with reptile addictions as you definitely cannot stop at 1!!

Hello ittybitty, and thank you for the welcome.
I think I am already starting to understand the addiction. My main interest is just lizards in general, but I am seeing plenty of images of snakes and now I'm thinking - "One day..." :p

Welcome, if you really want shinglebacks they can be kept in Townsville. JCU even keep some to use in research on reptile physiology. Maybe with some research you can find ways to keep them whilst reducing the humidity they are exposed to which is apparently one of the biggest problems they face in the tropics.

Also look up the NQ herp society to meet some like minded people. The next meeting is this coming Wednesday (2nd Wed of the month) at 6 Carmody St Mundingburra. Google the club for more info. Some bloke is giving the guest talk this month on envenomation and first aid - not sure if he knows much but guess everyone will find out on the night ;)

Thank you Tsubakai!, I will have to look into the NQ herp society :)
I have also seen places, such as the Billabong and a couple of other Zoo's in North Queensland that keep Shinglebacks. I have even sent them emails about them, but have not received any feedback unfortunately. I think it might be best if I don't consider one right now, because I would like a lizard that I could take out of the enclosure. I'll have to be patient, and wait a few years :| until I could look after one properly.

@feathergrass After looking around, I think I want more then just a couple now :p - MUST RESIST! -

Hi Payth. I have just started a group called Townsville and Burdekin for all those Townsvillians up here so we can chat and exchange ideas so if your interested it would be great to get a few members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back