Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackstik

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, my name is Adrian and I live in a sleepy little coastal town called Ardrossan, about 1 1/2 hours from Adelaide. I've been a member here since the start of December, but have been trawling the forums for information for a couple of months before that.

I currently have a green tree frog, but am looking to move into reptiles and get a python in the near(ish) future. I initially wanted a Bredli but having spoken to the only breeder within a hundred or so kilometres and hearing him talk about the Womas he breeds I did a lot of research on this forum about them and now I have my heart set on either a hatchling or yearling Woma.

I hope I can continue to pick up plenty of useful info and make some new friends on this forum, cheers for reading this little snippet about me!

Ardrossan is a lovely little town, I always drive through there on my way down to my cousin's place in Marion Bay.

I got a yearling woma as my first python. You will not be disappointed!

Hi Adrian and everyone here, i'm also new and joined last week. I've been reading alot through the forums and can say that there's so much helpful info here, it's great!

Well my name is Terae and i'm 42 yrs young.. live in Caboolture Qld and starting a little late with this hobby but have always had a fascination and love of pythons. I am a mum of 6 and they also love snakes.

I am going to get my first snake this weekend and after much research i have decided to get a bredli. Have found a little guy 9 months old/15 inches long and am excited. I have my heart set on a GTP or a Caramel Jag but this is a dream for the future :)

I'm going to keep my bredli in a click clak for now, when's a good time to put it into a larger enclosure? I know this guy is going to get big so my Q is, am i able to put him into an enclosure after he comes out of the click clak till he gets bigger and move him again into a bigger enclosure or will he stress or would it be advisable to put him in a larger one to begin with? I just love the look of the bredli's. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Hi Adrian, nice to see another South Aussie here :) You live in a beautiful town , I Love to go fishing and crabbing there.

Hey Blackstik, if you want a good 1st snake go Stimson's or Woma, i have one of each and they are great. Woma is a fair bit bigger but both are super good temperament wise and easy to keep in captivity. I chose to get yearlings and i'm glad i did, they have good feeding history, great temperaments (not snappy, really placid) and they can be housed in display tanks so we can enjoy them visually. Good luck with your decisson :)

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to say G'day. Yeah Micksta I'm definitely going to go with a Woma, the breeder near me has a clutch hatching in about a week and a half, so I'll go check them out once they've had their first shed. He won't let me take one from him until it's feeding properly though, so I wouldn't get it till probably April/May at the earliest I would have thought, although I could be wrong about that. Just a quick question though, I'll put it in a click clack to start with, but I've seen an enclosure for sale on here that measures 650 wide x 440 deep x 510 high, would that be too big to put a young fella in? I'd probably have to wait till it's about 12 months or so, wouldn't I?

yea best to put him in a small tub when young, to make them feel safe and secure, that size enclosure would just freak him out, to much open space.

Yeah thats what I thought. Thanks Waikare

---------- Post added 14-Jan-11 at 09:35 AM ----------

Another quick question: What size tub? Our local supermarket only has 28L tubs with the latch thingys, so I'll have to look elsewhere. I was thinking I woudl get probably a 10 Litre to 20 at the most, would that be about right?

yeh i used a 20litre starmaid tub from big w for my hatchlings first year and he has just turned 1 so i up graded his tub to a 40litre and this will do him for another year.

I agree with the small tub enclosure whilst the Woma is young but the tank you described would be good in the not to distant future (just put lots of places to hide). My male Woma is 4.5 ft long and only a year old (big fella!), they grow quick. If you do get a vivarium try and look for greater floor space than height as Womas don't climb they are more ground dwellers. All can say is you won't be disapointed with your choice they are lovely snakes and have loads of personality enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back