Hide or heat ... Or both?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
Hey i have just purchased a six week old male hypo bredli, Jax and i was just wondering what is better to do... to have the hide ontop of the heat source or away from it so it's not always hiding. I don't want to make my baby choose between heat and security but i also don't want him to only come out of his hide for water or when i'm handling him :? and i've heard if the hide is on the heat source and it's always hiding that it contributes to being less tame. Suggestions

The heat source is in the form of a heat mat and it's going to be placed under the ledge on the left so it has airflow underneath it and light on the top where the he will get the heat from.

oh and that coconut will soon be up on the wall hidden in between those falling leaves on the side so he will have a cool hide and a warm hide as suggested by many people

p.s sorry bout the blurry pic and if there is anything that i should change about the homemade enclosure i'll be open to suggestions

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Why not both? I have three hides in my enclosure so my little one can feel secure at whatever temperature he chooses. :D

Mine has what I call a pseudo hide... at the heat mat end the rock I have for him to bask on has an archway in it and he curls up under the arch and feels secure and hidden there. Your little one will move around when you are not in the room or at night when he feels secure so if he already has a warm hide and a cool hide I'm not sure what the issue is.
P1210005.JPG

As much as we like to see our pets it's much more important for them to feel secure where they are living.

I have multiple hides so my snake chooses where he likes to be the best and at no time does he have to be out in public if he doesn't want to be :)

Where do they get heated hides in the wild? I prefer my snakes to exercise and come out to bask.

Just remember to monitor the temp in the hide if you use it on heat because it can hold heat and be quite a bit hotter.

Icarus- Thanks Icarus but it's just a chuck together for the moment :p

Snowman- to be realistic i agree however he's captive and doesn't that mean he should live the luxuries of captive snake life haha ;)

sunny_girl- yeah i've been monitoring all the temps and will keep that in mind :)

I think they have reduced exercise as it is in captivity....

he moves around alot ... he gets heaps of excercise and i'll be taking him on the grass on a daily basis. i think he does alright ... :?

Where do they get heated hides in the wild? I prefer my snakes to exercise and come out to bask.

+1 I only offer a hide at the cool end!
With all these replies of making your python feel safe with hides why do the majority also believe a snake should have the largest enclosure possible? Sorry to stray off topic!

reptiles often lie under rocks which are heated by the sun.... hence a heated hide... my outdoor animals often heat up underneath something if available...

bits of tin or the like which easily heat up with sun contact will often have skinks & other reps reaching their PBT underneath them....

Yeah idk I've just heard so many oppinions and just wanted to see what a majority thought. I think I'll have the hot hide still at the warm end but just not directly at the heat source and still have my cold hide at the cool end.

And don't be sorry! Great to hear your oppinion! :D

reptiles often lie under rocks which are heated by the sun.... hence a heated hide... my outdoor animals often heat up underneath something if available...

bits of tin or the like which easily heat up with sun contact will often have skinks & other reps reaching their PBT underneath them....

Actually rock is a fantastic heat insulator. The temps where reptiles hide under rocks are often very stable and nice and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back