Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
Last night I took my little sister outside at 11:30 to try and find some snakes... All I found were lots of hidious rats, possums, and one very pudgy green tree frog. I was looking forward to finding some snakes (Their was three, one was relocated, other two still out their some where) (their coastal carpet pythons). I looked around the duck pen, chook pen, and the guineapig cages, but still found no snakes. Are they hiding away because of winter? It's not that cold here on the GC. Any tips on how we could find some snakes at night, like where to look and when to look. Cheers Naomi. Also that little trip didn't end well when mum let Hunter my bulldog out the front... I have never seen such a surprised person and dog in my life! Should have seen my little sisters face when Hunter came charging at us... Priceless ;) Also my mum when she saw a random torch shinning out on the deck, and though we were asleep in bed... :D

I don't think they're going to be presenting themselves to you in the yard haha I wish it was the case for myself also but you have to go out looking. I'm in Brisbane and I go on night trips to Mt.Glorious and Mt.Nebo and it depends on the time, the weather that day, and luck plays a part of course. You learn tricks and tips over time but you just have to make regular efforts to go out looking as well. On our first Herping trip up Mt.Nebo all we found was a little coastal, on my last trip up there we found a gorgeous big coastal, a golden crowned, a brown tree snake and the most exciting was a rough scaled snake. Depends how serious you are too I guess.

I don't think they're going to be presenting themselves to you in the yard haha I wish it was the case for myself also but you have to go out looking. I'm in Brisbane and I go on night trips to Mt.Glorious and Mt.Nebo and it depends on the time, the weather that day, and luck plays a part of course. You learn tricks and tips over time but you just have to make regular efforts to go out looking as well. On our first Herping trip up Mt.Nebo all we found was a little coastal, on my last trip up there we found a gorgeous big coastal, a golden crowned, a brown tree snake and the most exciting was a rough scaled snake. Depends how serious you are too I guess.

Thanks for the tips, we live on acreage but their is a big bushland reserve about a 5 minuet walk away.. maybe I shall try that next time. :) oh, and how lucky you were to see all those beautiful snakes on your last trip! :)

Thanks for the tips, we live on acreage but their is a big bushland reserve about a 5 minuet walk away.. maybe I shall try that next time. :) oh, and how lucky you were to see all those beautiful snakes on your last trip! :)

Definitely give it a go if you have access to that, you're lucky so take advantage of it.
Just make sure you have all the equipment you need no matter how close it is to home and something to help ID the snakes you find.

snakes like being near water
this is for two main reasons
their prey is usually near water
the foliage near water is thicker

slowly slowly catchy monkey
most snakes dont move much
at night they are usually a bit more active but still ambush predators mostly
so look at every tree carefully
then look again

snakes like being near water
this is for two main reasons
their prey is usually near water
the foliage near water is thicker

slowly slowly catchy monkey
most snakes dont move much
at night they are usually a bit more active but still ambush predators mostly
so look at every tree carefully
then look again

Thanks for that! Do I try an make a lot of noise so they move, or do I stay as quiet as possible?

quiet and sneaky is very cool
just make sure you look at ground level first
dont want to stand on one by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back