Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a gateway snake, he's a guinea pig, your first snake is a bit like your first child, - trial and error - big learning curve you will learn a lot from him in the next few months, do yourself a favour and resist the urge to get another snake for 6 months, you will be amazed at how much he can teach you, about snake body language, how to set up their tanks so they are happy all sorts of things,their moods. I kept only 1 for 12 months, (tempted often, but resisted) and my coastal taught me heaps,
I also agree with you 100% Jax. Hence the reason we're starting off with a small, healthy, hardy snake from a good breeder and a proven eater. She is our 'learner' snake, and unfortunately, she may have to bear on odd bad decision as I 'trial and error' my way through the early stages of snake husbandry.
Nevertheless, I expect to learn heaps from her as well as from this forum. Plus she'll be our only snake for quite a while...
Nic

Got my first diamond when I was about 14 or 15, only had him about 6 months and had a very long wait, over 20 years! until I got my next one last year. I now have 2 and of course like everyone else am planning more.

I also agree with you 100% Jax. Hence the reason we're starting off with a small, healthy, hardy snake from a good breeder and a proven eater. She is our 'learner' snake, and unfortunately, she may have to bear on odd bad decision as I 'trial and error' my way through the early stages of snake husbandry.
Nevertheless, I expect to learn heaps from her as well as from this forum. Plus she'll be our only snake for quite a while...
Nic

For the first 3 months i told myself 'she is going to be an only child' mainly because of the size that coastals can attain, then as i got comfortable with her i thought about adding to the collection, but decided i didn't know enough so i put it off, researched different species, and put it off, and put it off some more and then bam, 1 year to the day, of the arrival of my first, i bought home 5 x 3mth old Darwins... i only had intentions of getting 3, but i cant say no to a cute face.....
I now avoid looking at pics of anything in case i get tempted......

Just a noob with 17 months.
As a newbie I have learnt through research that amount of years doesn't always equal experience and knowledge. I had a pet budgie when u was 6 and kept that alive for years and never learnt a thing about it for example. Fortunately I've found reliable 'reptile' mentors who share their knowledge, experience and years of keeping.

As a newbie I have learnt through research that amount of years doesn't always equal experience and knowledge. I had a pet budgie when u was 6 and kept that alive for years and never learnt a thing about it for example. Fortunately I've found reliable 'reptile' mentors who share their knowledge, experience and years of keeping.

Very true statement.

I've kept snakes for 14 months. My first was an adult spotted that I got in May last year. Five months later I bought a 7 month old Murray Darling, then in March this year I bought an 8 week old Bredli, in May I bought a Proserpine Coastal, and then 3 weeks ago I bought a 7ft coastal, my largest snake so far... that one wasn't planned. Can't go past a cheap snake that has a beautiful temperament and needs a good home :D I've still got more on the list that I'd like :)

tinky.. what would you like to be my son? purple fire drake is only one option...

Snakes: l got my first python 30yrs ago; a Maculosa.
Lizards -Bearded Dragon and Stump-tailed Skink and Bluetongues, 40 yrs ago
Tortoise about 40 yrs ago.
Tree frogs 40 yrs ago.

I fell in love with snakes 30 years ago, but only have one....and will only ever have one, my beloved Barrie, a Stimmie. He was born in March 2008 and I got him in March 2009, so he's just over 2.

Ive been keeping snakes since i was about 15, I'm now 35 lol, my first snake was a California corn.

I caught my first tree snake when i was 7, but back then i didnt know about licences and stuff and only kept reptiles for a short period before releasing them. Got my first legal snake 13 years ago and only kept one spotted python untill about 7 years ago, then i found out that most of the cool critters i never thought you could buy were being bred in captivity.

only started 4 months ago but in about 3 weeks will have 10 snakes just love everything about them

Since I was in grade 4, with beardies, blue tongues and tree snakes around the house. Then I got a coastal from my dad when I was 12. Here we are now.

I don't keep snakes..they keep me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back