How much is too much (food that is)?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here she is. Sorry about the photo but my camera can?t do better.

She is 1.7m and exactly 2kg.

The Vet has given me some Panacur that I?ll dose her with in two feeds a fortnight apart.

I think I read somewhere that it was better to inject the Panacur into a small food item that will quickly be digested, therefore, getting the medication into the gut in one quick dose. As I am trying to build her up a bit, can I give her a Panacur loaded mouse and follow it with a fat rat? I don?t think that will interfere with the digestion of the mouse or the effectiveness of the Panacur.

I think a python's 'hungry' look is like Charles Bronson's acting 'look'
I find they ALWAYS look hungry

Hey, leave Charles alone , you got a 'Death wish' ? :lol:

Jenny, you and your python will get to know one another, you will soon sort out a happy feeding scedual that suits you both. If its a young snake I dont think you can feed it too much. It wont eat more than it needs. :D

Thanks Instar,

That's what I thought but I reckon this girl would eat whatever I offered it and I don't want to over do it. Personally, I believe that unless there is some terrible neurological disorder, all creatures know what is right for them. They'll eat when they are hungry and refuse when they aren't.

What do you think of the Panacur mouse/rat scenario?

I think a worming wont hurt it, given at the prescibed dose. A good appetite in the python keepers world is a bonus , sometimes they dont eat for months, most food goes into growth in the first year apparently, so according to this theory, the more it eats the faster it will grow. (Warning: this leads to the 'powerfeeding' argument, dont go there LOL)
Dont be too concerned, if worming gives you peace of mind , do it. If the appetite keeps up, try to
offer fewer larger feeds , less often, youll get into a rythm. :D

Jenny said:
Personally, I believe that unless there is some terrible neurological disorder, all creatures know what is right for them. They'll eat when they are hungry and refuse when they aren't.

Turtles dont! lol! They just eat and eat and eat and eat then poop then eat and eat etc. I've never seen my turtle refuse food. every time i walk into the room he swims up agains the glass or climbs on the basking spot for attention or food. Cheeky little bugger. :lol:

Hey jenny, not quite sure how it works but i would give the smaller mouse last, it might get pushed past some worms as they go onto the rat, so the ones in the front bit of the stomach only get rat and no mouse and panacur

You can always give the snake a dose of panacur with a crop needle. This way it is directly into the stomach, if you have not done this before see if you can get someone with some experience to show you. It is quite simple and easy with two people. It is a bit difficult by yourself with a larger snake, but not too bad.

Well,I dont mean to sound arrogant BUT-what Ive just read has shocked me.Nearly every post in my opinion was incorrect. Digest and poop after 3 days?,definitley from the feed before if not the one before that.If you wait untill it poos it will instinctively hold its food longer,rubbish,absolute rubbish.Temps,ie change of seasons is abuot the only thing that varies digestion. Every 5 weeks is a good feeding period for any adult python including jungles.Most people feed pythons including juvs way to much.Most pythons especialy in captivity will eat too much if offered and belive me Ive been doing this for a long time and seen the long term affects of over feeding pythons many times.
Dont go there! Yes, definitly wait untill they poo, give them 1-6 weeks(depending),with an empty tract then feed em again.Every thing will breed,and be healthy.
Rob

pike1 said:
Hey jenny, not quite sure how it works but i would give the smaller mouse last, it might get pushed past some worms as they go onto the rat, so the ones in the front bit of the stomach only get rat and no mouse and panacur

Not sure what you meant there Pike exactly. But anything containing panacur ,mouse or rat, first or last, will kill all worms when digested, provided the dose is right. Worms cant hide Lol.

Well,I dont mean to sound arrogant BUT

Try harder!

Yes Rock, were all wrong! :roll:

Today is 9 days after the first panacur dose and I came home to find this. They were still wriggling at me. Truly disgusting but better out than in!

poo14oa.jpg

poo23ge.jpg

That looks filthy!! It looks like everything and I mean everything has come out alright.

There you go Jenny, your instincts were right! :D
It should settle into a nice normal feeding pattern now. Happy herping! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back