How to cool the cool end

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulcahy

Reaction score
Hi i have a spotted python and the cool end is hitting 30degrees now our house isn't airconed and it won't be so i was wondering if i could place like a wet cloth and a small fan if anyone could help me with types of stuff to do and what with it would be great

Thanks Shane Mulcahy

Is what you're saying that the enclosure gets to that temp without he light? If thats the case, mine does too. Our house is a hot box, and we dont have aircon either, but I think as long as it doesnt get much over that, it should be ok. Hopefull someone with more exoerience will be able to help.

was that questioned pointed at me? Danielle?
my suggestion was to turn the light off if it is on
Overheating IS very bad for a snake.
especially if the temp in the COOL end is 30 degrrees, no where to hide

I asked this question a couple of months ago, Try putting some ice cubes in their water bowl - this drops down the temperature a little and if they're hot they can sit in the cold water. In this room it gets to around 30ºc + on a daily basis and the snakes in here don't seem to care, some of them even stay in the hot end which is around 35ºc

Wrap an ice pack in a towel & pop it in the cool end, this should bring the temp down. Make sure you place the wrapped ice pack in a container so it doesn't drip every where as it melts.

Hi i have a spotted python and the cool end is hitting 30degrees now our house isn't airconed and it won't be so i was wondering if i could place like a wet cloth and a small fan if anyone could help me with types of stuff to do and what with it would be great

Thanks Shane Mulcahy

try freezing a small bottle of water and wrapping it in a towel, or ice blocks in the water, the other thing is have you got enough air vents at the cool end?

an ice pack or frozen water bottle wrapped in a tea towel or pillow case will do the trick. If the room that the snake is housed in is 30 degrees or more just turn the heat off untill the room drops to below 28 degrees.
or.....
put a division in the tank creating a warm and cool side with a gap so that the snake can move from side to side at will. simple.

there is heaps of air vents but the room temp is 30 so i will have to try that so nobody recomends a fan and if the water is cool it coulg get in there couln't it

i noticed in the herp shop, habistat fan thermostats, ive never personally had to cool my enclousures nor know anyone who has used one, but perhaps a bit of researched into a small fan and thermostat would be an alright idea

Fans can create to much draft that can harm snakes.

Fans only cool you if you sweat - they increase evaporative heat loss. Since snakes regulate feat by conduction and radiation mainly fans won't make them cooler, they'll just move the warm air around more. Either divide your cage like TB suggested or don't heat them during the hot part of the day.

thats what i will do i will stop heating between around 10 oclock and five oclock and place some ice in the water bowl

yeah the water bowl is big and it can get under it to hide as it is two under pot plant trays back to back with slots to enter and exit

My house was like a furnace some days this Summer. I just switched me lights off and opened the blinds a bit so me snakes could get natural light. Temps remained good so we're all happy. I agree with trueblue put up a divider and garthnfay big water bowls for soaking.

My house was like a furnace some days this Summer. I just switched me lights off and opened the blinds a bit so me snakes could get natural light. Temps remained good so we're all happy. I agree with trueblue put up a divider and garthnfay big water bowls for soaking.

I love the divider theory.The original poster said his room got to 30C so how would a divider give a hot side of say 32 and a cooler side below 30? unless this magical divider is part refigerator.

If ambient temps get too high then you only have a few options,keep the cage in a cooler part of the house,invest in an aircon or the cheapest option of keeping some frozen bottles of water handy for hot days,wrap them in a cloth and turn off all heating when you know the day is going to be hot.

Yeah agreed. I just switch them off. just saying that I like dividers in an enclosure especially if it isn't that big for the animal to get away from the heat source. Magic divider? Thanks for making me laugh

Ramsayi,-
He said that the "cool end" was hitting 30 degrees NOT the room.!! This was with the heat turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back