How to keep the temperature up at night?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt95

Reaction score
At night time my snakes enclosure drops to around 23 degrees at night at the warm end, how do I keep it warmer during cold nights?

you could always up the wattage of your bulb/heat emitter OR just leave it, from what ive learnt on here a lot of people don't even heat at night! as long as it has warmth for digestion during the day. :)

If your snake has a snug hide box, it will be fine at that temp. Don't stress.

If your snake has a snug hide box, it will be fine at that temp. Don't stress. I use day/night thermostats to give me a drop like that.

Thanks guys, I'm very new to this and I was kinda worried:( but now my mind is at ease :)

I have once heard a wise snake person on this site say that during winter if you keep the enclosure cool and dry you will have no problem with RI because in order to get RI your snake needs a combination of cold plus moist. It made sense to me but I have had no experience with RI.

I have once heard a wise snake person on this site say that during winter if you keep the enclosure cool and dry you will have no problem with RI because in order to get RI your snake needs a combination of cold plus moist. It made sense to me but I have had no experience with RI.
Cool, thanks :)

I hate to say it but this is wrong,if the temp is low RI will kick in anyway.
24c min.

24c min.
Fair enough, I thought the source was pretty reliable but as said I do not have any experience in this. I will ask one question of you though, what happens in an outdoor enclosure during winter?

I have never kept reptiles outside during winter i bring them inside and then put them back outdoors when it starts to warm up again,i don't think it's worth taking a chance.When i started out i had a couple of pythons get RI and i was told never let the temp go below 24c and i haven't since then and never really had any big is problems.

Just my opinion.

I have never kept reptiles outside during winter i bring them inside and then put them back outdoors when it starts to warm up again,i don't think it's worth taking a chance.When i started out i had a couple of pythons get RI and i was told never let the temp go below 24c and i haven't since then and never really had any big is problems.

Just my opinion.

It is something that I will take on board but as far as I know there are some people that keep there snakes outdoors all year round. I know what you are saying that this may increase the chances of RI but I would imagine that outside may have more moisture around in winter as well. Can I ask which state that you are from as well as this may make a difference as I am from Queensland near Brisbane and our winter overnight temperatures may not get as low as Victoria or even parts of NSW.

I'm in southern NSW at the moment.When i lived in SEQ Camira i still wouldn't keep them outside.I prefer not to take the chance i love my animals.

Just for the record all my snakes have separate enclosures and are inside my house. I also give them night heating to about 24 degrees to the snakes that usually live in hotter zones and no night heating to my coastal and my diamondxcoastal who would usually live in the area or a colder one. I am just passing on info that I have seen from a member that in my opinion can be trusted.

Well i live between both of you and in the 5 years we have had our coastal she has never been heated at night and has never had a RI, my day temp is set at 34 deg and just so i don't get that annoying click click from the thermostat the night temp is set for 10 deg, if it gets any lower than that at night in my house i might move to FNQ, what about in the wild?? they have no night time heating and when i could walk through the bush at night i did not hear a cacophony of sneezing and bubbling snakes with RI and contrary to popular belief it does get to around 4 deg overnight here in winter.......................................Ron

24c min.

This is misleading information. I do not heat at night and have never experienced an RI with my snakes. My flat can get extremely cold during the winter, and the study where the snakes are kept drops to lows of 8 degrees C. The snakes are healthy, eat well, shed well, defecate well, handle well and not once have they ever needed to go to the vet.

My flat can get extremely cold during the winter, and the study where the snakes are kept drops to lows of 8 degrees C. .[/QUOTE]

It once got down to 13 degrees outside last winter. Once. Haha tough to live where I do lol.

Well i live between both of you and in the 5 years we have had our coastal she has never been heated at night and has never had a RI, my day temp is set at 34 deg and just so i don't get that annoying click click from the thermostat the night temp is set for 10 deg, if it gets any lower than that at night in my house i might move to FNQ, what about in the wild?? they have no night time heating and when i could walk through the bush at night i did not hear a cacophony of sneezing and bubbling snakes with RI and contrary to popular belief it does get to around 4 deg overnight here in winter.......................................Ron
Hi Ron :) I agree with the way you have been keeping your coastal. I know the breeder I picked my coastal up from never used night heat however as u have been doing she did crank it all day. I have a question though, do u still feed? during the colder months? the daytime heat would be enough for digestion wouldn't it. im going to heat my guy day and night however he has a tall enclosure so he can choose his preferred temp :)

Hi Ron :) I agree with the way you have been keeping your coastal. I know the breeder I picked my coastal up from never used night heat however as u have been doing she did crank it all day. I have a question though, do u still feed? during the colder months? the daytime heat would be enough for digestion wouldn't it. im going to heat my guy day and night however he has a tall enclosure so he can choose his preferred temp :)
It is the length of time the heat is on during the day that determines whether you feed or not. Even when brumating you need the same temperature hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back