how was your day

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent slept yet from the night before so really feeling it now..

On the up side I cooked a stella pizza :)
try being medicated on No-Doz for 3 days straight....then you'll know what it is not to sleep! 4 times a day breakfast,lunch, dinner and bedtime (10pm) i was given No-Doz while in hospital.....now i know why it's so damn dangerous!! they should be made illegal!

try being medicated on No-Doz for 3 days straight....then you'll know what it is not to sleep! 4 times a day breakfast,lunch, dinner and bedtime (10pm) i was given No-Doz while in hospital.....now i know why it's so damn dangerous!! they should be made illegal!

Why on earth were they dosing you with no-doz?? I always thought no-doz was the domain of servo drug stands and didn't actually have a place within legitimate medicine...

Got a new snake this morning so our day was pretty good. Cute little striped coastal. I never realised how cute their little faces are. :)

Friday my dogs had another fight. Was such an awful day. We face having to put one of them down because they just keep fighting and are too nervous to rehome. It's muzzles for now and if they fight again then the decision will need to be made. Just sucks.
I hope you can find a solution, it would be a shame to have to one to sleep :(

Indeed it does suck:-( what did the canine behaviorist say when they came out? I am assuming to come to the conclusion to put one down it was because of professional help.

What I really want to write, but won't as it is rude, and I apologize profusely if this is not your case, as unfortunately 99% of the time it is:-( the dogs are entire, never went to puppy pre school or obedience classes. They are not walked daily. No attention given apart from the throwing of food. They are left in the back yard with little to no interaction. Some breeds are known to be dog aggressive so people keep this in mind before getting another dog or do more training. especially when it comes to staffys.
Are they separated when muzzled as no dog should ever be left unsupervised with a muzzle in place.
As I said I apologize IF you have done all you can, but I haven't come across many dogs that have to be put down or cannot be rehomed due to antisocial behavior from an inappropriate household. Most times when correct advice is sought along with positive reinforcement training, things can be corrected.
Hardly ever is it the dog, but nearly always human fault.

Is it not an option to run a fence down the middle of the yard, so they are separated? That way they still have each other's company, but can't get to each other to fight.

What are they fighting over, and can you remove the stimulant? Like, not giving them bones or toys unless supervised etc.
Or could you build a small run in the yard, and alternate who goes in there each day? It's not easy having a dog/s with issues, but it can be done. I'm not implying that you're copping out, or that you haven't thought it through, just offering a couple more suggestions to the mix:)

The fights are generally to do with jealousy. At first it was toys, so we took all the toys away. Then it was jealousy over us, so they are only allowed attention separately. They are separated for playtime as well as this also started another fight. One also got possessive over the harnesses which were on the floor, that fight was bad. But the latest fight we aren't sure what caused it. I was in bed and my partner outside with the dogs, he said they were playing with palm fronds and got a bit mouthy so he pulled them up and they settled and were placed in their run. And then they started fighting. He didn't actually see what started it though.

They are both female and both have been spayed. They are given plenty of attention, we are constantly outside with them and they sleep inside with us. We walk them and if we can't they get lots of exercise at home with games and playing with the hose and such. They know basic commands but they have not been to puppy school. Up until this fight they wore muzzles inside always but outside were fine, this has now changed to muzzles whenever they are together. We called a few behaviorists and they gave some advice but were too expensive for us to have come out.

Unfortunately we rent, so building fences to separate them isn't an option.

I am now completely paranoid about them fighting again because it's bloody scary. The smaller dog starts the fights but always loses as the bigger dog just grabs her face and won't let go. Last time we had to beg the vet to see her because we didn't have the money and after calling every vet in Townsville one finally agreed to let us pay half and then come back on payday to complete the payment.

So we have tried a lot of things to help but they just keep on fighting.

I had a fairly good day! Went riding with a friend, if you wouldnt mind you could watch a quick edit i put together and let me know :)

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/252139/[/video]

My day started off with a phone call to my accountant about my tax,good news it goes in my account by the end of the week.
The a call to DSE who said i wasnt in their system,even thou i applied at their office directly 2wks ago. Another phone call later in the day and i am in the database and will get my license by the end of the week.
Then a phone call to the guy who is holding a snake for me,to touch base with him and let him know whats going on. He has had people stuff around with him before,so i like to touch base every couple days.
Then there is the constant reading of things in here and using google,i am learning so much!! But i still have barely touched the surface with that learning lol. I am discovering that shops in Melbourne i wish to visit,i shouldnt coz they have dead snakes and mould. I am learning about the yearly expo in Melbourne that i missed this year,and will try to make it there next year. Mind you,i will be holding off doing my tax next year at tax time and will get it done early January so that i get a tax return before the expo. Judging by the return i got this year when i only worked half the year,i think i will have a fairly decent amount next year. I shall be one of the big spenders,look for me there haha.
I have also been playing the online game i play and chatting in a chat program with players. Catching up in facebook,reading emails. Basically,i have had a very lazy Monday :lol:

Why on earth were they dosing you with no-doz?? I always thought no-doz was the domain of servo drug stands and didn't actually have a place within legitimate medicine...
caffeine reproduces CSF faster and is good for postdural puncture headaches ...not realising i had the tear they tried No-Doz because all it is, is caffeine and they wanted to try all conservative methods before the bloodpatch. but going cold turkey off of them was a nightmare! unless you are use to that amount of caffeine it's frightening....i would never do it again!

The fights are generally to do with jealousy. At first it was toys, so we took all the toys away. Then it was jealousy over us, so they are only allowed attention separately. They are separated for playtime as well as this also started another fight. One also got possessive over the harnesses which were on the floor, that fight was bad. But the latest fight we aren't sure what caused it. I was in bed and my partner outside with the dogs, he said they were playing with palm fronds and got a bit mouthy so he pulled them up and they settled and were placed in their run. And then they started fighting. He didn't actually see what started it though.

They are both female and both have been spayed. They are given plenty of attention, we are constantly outside with them and they sleep inside with us. We walk them and if we can't they get lots of exercise at home with games and playing with the hose and such. They know basic commands but they have not been to puppy school. Up until this fight they wore muzzles inside always but outside were fine, this has now changed to muzzles whenever they are together. We called a few behaviorists and they gave some advice but were too expensive for us to have come out.

Unfortunately we rent, so building fences to separate them isn't an option.

I am now completely paranoid about them fighting again because it's bloody scary. The smaller dog starts the fights but always loses as the bigger dog just grabs her face and won't let go. Last time we had to beg the vet to see her because we didn't have the money and after calling every vet in Townsville one finally agreed to let us pay half and then come back on payday to complete the payment.

So we have tried a lot of things to help but they just keep on fighting.

It's very frustrating:( How bad are the fights? Like how often is blood drawn and if there is blood, how much? They're two staffys, yeah? (Sorry if that's not right, for some reason it's in my head that you've got 2 staffys) Is it possible to have one in the house and one outside while you are not there, maybe confined to the laundry etc? My dogs are always kicking the crap out of each other, but that's how they play. I'm actually a little surprised our neighbours haven't dobbed us in for running a dog-fighting ring in our backyard, that's how awful it sounds. But they never draw blood, and will back off when one says enough is enough. So far, the worst that's come out of it was having to get the rottie's cruciate ligament repaired, because our big boy (40-odd kg) kept jumping on her. Thankfully we've managed to get him out of that habit so he doesn't bust her other leg. We can't afford another $1800 operation right now:|
I don't know if it can be applied in this situation, but have a look at the "Triangle of Temptation" That might be of help to you, and practise NILIF (Nothing in life is free) Basically make them work for everything. They want pats: Make them sit down quietly. They want treats: they have to drop and wait for them. Basically, it re-inforces that you (and your partner) are the source of EVERYTHING good. I think the TOT would be good for them as well. It works similarly to NILIF: You remain in control of the thing they want, therefore, if they are going to get it, it will be on your terms, not theirs, and if they break the terms (getting jealous and fighting), no one gets it. I'm not an expert, but to me it sounds like jealousy coupled with a lack of self-control, and some dominance (with each other) issues.
I'm not allowed to post links, so if you have any issues finding those things, PM me and I'll let you know where you can find them:)

caffeine reproduces CSF faster and is good for postdural puncture headaches ...not realising i had the tear they tried No-Doz because all it is, is caffeine and they wanted to try all conservative methods before the bloodpatch. but going cold turkey off of them was a nightmare! unless you are use to that amount of caffeine it's frightening....i would never do it again!

Wow, you learn something new every day. I thought caffiene wasn't good for headaches full stop! SOunds awful though, but at least they figured out you had the tear, and aren't still OD'ing you on caffiene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back