I Bought a Bass!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have relative pitch.... well used to, its rusty these days...

i was always told perfect pitvh is somethng you are born with, ot not

i have relative pitch.... well used to, its rusty these days...

i was always told perfect pitvh is somethng you are born with, ot not

Definitely not man (and this isn’t some sales pitch either to offload my CDs :oops: ). I believe it is something you have to acquire and you definitely don’t have to be born with it. Apparently some people are born with it but I don’t really subscribe to that either (but who am I to say). And even if you were born with it, it’s something you have to work on and improve for you to say “I have perfect pitch recognition”.

In my VERY humble opinion you gain a lot of perfect pitch from just playing. And that’s basically what perfect pitch is – you recognise a note after hearing it so many times (more for others). Example of bass would be, if you play the bass enough, you come to realise what a note sounds like on a certain fret, certain string. I can hear something in my head that I could play on the bass for example and then know where I need to play those notes without “improvising” with a guitar in-hand. And that’s how you gain perfect pitch in a very rough way (it is a bit more complicated) – you pick up your bass (or whatever instrument you want to pick it up on) and you play the note and REALLY listen to it, and then recognise and remember the individual sound(s) of that note. That’s it in a nutshell. Does take some time to start working though. But it actually does work.

Relative pitch is also very handy but I haven’t put in anywhere near enough time getting this skill under control. But it would be well worth it too. Like I said though I just don’t really have the time to practice all day anymore. Like you said though (same with perfect pitch) it's something you need to keep working on or you will lose it eventually.

Ermm Natrix... no offence or anything.... but can't people just play an instrument cos they like it??? Whether they are good or not???

I'm a terrible, terrible bass player (i am a lefty with stubby fingers LOL)...... but i still like playing it.... And bashing around on the drum kit to try and resemble something that sounds even remotely like a song that i love is something i wish i could do more often.

I didn't see forensick say anywhere that he had bought the bass to become a professional player??? I didnt really see the need to ram down his throat who you are which by the way is an excellent achievment that i congradulate you on.....

Again no offence intended.

Swing ,
I have no prob at all with people playing whatever they like at what ever level they like.
I just don't like hearing all the waffle & pretensiousness that accompanies some of
forensicks raves.
There's even a new one after your post . " I used to have relative pitch but it's rusty now"
If forensick had played clarinet for a decade and passed the music exams he said that
he did , then he'd still have good 'relative pitch' , it's not a thing that goes 'rusty' like actual
playing might if you don't do it for a while.

Whoa there

Do I detect a battle of the bands shoot out here? Nothing like a bit of rivalry between musicians:lol: Take 10 paces turnaround and throw pick's at each other;)

actually... stop playing for a while say 3 years... and you'll find it does...
it comes back very quickly i am finding....
but there are very few notes a week ago i could just tell you what they were without counting up intervals or singing them back

Do I detect a battle of the bands shoot out here? Nothing like a bit of rivalry between musicians:lol: Take 10 paces turnaround and throw pick's at each other;)

i dont even consider myself a musician anymore tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back