Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Today I was at a place in Werribee, Vic when I was talking to a staff member at this place who openly told me he used to keep reptiles off licence. He asked me if I had any water dragons for him which I said no. He said if I get anything to come and see him and he would buy them. He said licences were a waste of time and too much hassle (in words to that effect). He was also interested in getting a croc. He even named the person who is also from Werribee who could supply any animal off licence at very short notice. One example he gave me was he once rang this person and asked for 3 beardie hatchies and some guy rocked up 20 mins later with 3 - all sold off licence. He said he didn't even know who the person was who rocked up as it was organised through his contact. I will keep names quiet to 99% of people for legal reasons. But all in all, I couldn't believe someone would openly say this, especially to someone who also keeps reptiles. He told me to come back if I have anything for him.

My question: Do you all think that "of licence" reptile keeping is out of control or small in numbers?

Cheers
Paul

I've replied to two adverts on RDU for geckos in the last few weeks, both ads as it turns out were for unlicensed animals! Knew they were too cheap to be true..

I'd imagine the chances of being caught would be extremely slim. Hell, that's why I'm going bush to get me some of them GTP's!!! ;)

Jokes aside: I've also seen a few examples in my limited experience. So I'm guessing it's pretty rife :?

yeah there are heaps of people out there that are still unlicenced, I personally dont have a problem with it, as long as they dont abuse it, by removing crap loads of animals from the wild and try to sell them which most will agree is not a good thing, but forthose that collect purely for the passion I dont look down on them.

Wish QNPWs would spend as much time trying to catch the unlicensed ones as they do overregulating the honest reptile keepers up here

I think it depends on where the unlicensed animals are coming from. Looking at the paperwork you could buy captive bred animals off license. Say the breeder hatches 10 beardys and sell five legally and five off license. The breeder just tells the govt that he hatched five. Or you sell your snake off license and tell the govt that it died.

I don't like wild collecting as a rule (collecting a common species for a short time is okay as most people as kids did it at some stage).

This guys may still get captive bred animals but you could never tell for sure. Are beardys around wild in melbourne? To have hatchies they are possibly from a breeder still.

Maybe I think too much???
Just my thoughts.

I have quite a few friends up here that keep animals without a licence. The problem is the permit system is way to strict, and up until a few months ago territorians couldnt have any elapids at all. This kind of red tape forces people to keep the animals they want off licence!!

Personally, I wouldnt risk my future career by getting a wildlife conviction. But for those who are simply hobbiests it seems like a reasonable option!

Thats the rub Brodie, if you propose a career in herps either at the research or the breeder end then unlicensed animals aren't of any use to you. If they have no background history; provenance; then you may as well be dealing with wild caught animals from a guy down the pub. Want cornsnakes with that order mate?

I agree with most people on here WHO BLOODY CARES as long as there not hurting any of the animals and they are buying captive bread whats the problem.Lets face it i think a lisence is just another revenue.The reason on saying it is just another revenue is because they dont police it.

There are lots of exotics out there and very few of these are licenced.

Many of the busts for exotics in Victoria recently have also netted unlicenced native species. To me this is a bit of a worry as this is how exotic diseases can find their way into our native herps.

The chances of getting caught on any given day might be low but presuming you are a keeper for a number of years some people will know what you have got and one day somebody is going to blab and the department will follow up on the leads it gets.

cronullaben said:
Lets face it i think a lisence is just another revenue
Do you think that the cost of a licence covers the infrastructure required manage (excluding police) the license system? My guess would be prob. not.

I think that if you include the number of full time people who man (sorry person) the phones, the cost of office space, the books that are sent out and the cost of collating the information, etc etc etc. I would think that the cost of the license seems fair. (sure I would rather pay nothing :wink:)

cronullaben said:
WHO BLOODY CARES
I do. Some control must be better than no control. BUT at the end of the day any system is open to abuse.

Still I would rather pay the money (setting a good example to my kids and peers, etc) and not jump everytime there is a knock at the door.

I had a guy in Bunnings try to talk me into writing something off as dead and selling it to him - I told him that I would do no such thing.
As long as my own nose is clean - I really don't care. As long as no one involves me etc, then I keep to myself.

alexr said:
[
I would think that the Still I would rather pay the money (setting a good example to my kids and peers, etc) and be able to openly share my love for my little fella without jumping everytime my doorbell rings.

You wouldnt want to read your message out of context Alexr, as I just did. :shock: Must say I got a bit of a shock, as you would when the doorbell rings :wink:

alexr said:
Ahhh....there you go - now just need to workout how to edit your post olivehydra.... LOL.

I think we shall leave it, nothing to be ashamed of, each to their own in the privacy of one's own home :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back