I Have Crabs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Well, I was awoken early today by the arrival of a package that I have been awaiting for some time.

I bought 10 Inland Freshwater Land Crabs ('Desert Crabs') off bylo, and 6 centipedes and a UV blacklight torch... Everything came within one day of being posted and was packaged excellently and arrived safe! Thank you bylo!!! I'm very very happy with all these purchases (visit www.thegreenscorpion to see what you can buy;))

Anyway, these are two of the baby centipedes I managed to get (the other 4 look similair). These guys are tiny and damn quick so forgive the crappy camera work please.

NewArrivals010.jpg

NewArrivals009.jpg

Very cute. Anyway, now for my main purchase! I opened up their container to find a bunch of very cute little crabs, and they really enjoy their enclosure.. So much so that I can't find any of the suckers because they've all hidden away!!! As soon as they came out of the package, they legged it for the water or for the shelter. These photos aren't the best, and I'll try and get more when they settle in a bit more. For the moment they run when they sense you coming!

NewArrivals001.jpg

NewArrivals012.jpg

NewArrivals008.jpg

NewArrivals007.jpg

NewArrivals006.jpg

NewArrivals005.jpg

NewArrivals004.jpg

NewArrivals003.jpg

NewArrivals002.jpg

Please don't use these photos for anything as they're for bylo's use only! Anyway... I'm very happy and can't wait til they hurry up and get used to being near me!

wow, that is really cool, could you post pics of the entire enclosure? And also how many are you housing in there? Are you planing on breeding them? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested lol
cheers
Brendan

How big are the crabs? And what sort are they?
Good eating? ;) :p

wow, that is really cool, could you post pics of the entire enclosure? And also how many are you housing in there? Are you planing on breeding them? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested lol
cheers
Brendan

Photos of the entire enclosure is under a thread called 'Crab Tank' in 'Other Animals'. I think I have about 12 in there (ordered 10 but some were small so I got extras).. It's amazing how well they escape the surface because I can only find about 5 at any one time. If they breed they breed (and I think I'd be the only person to do that in captivity...?) but if they don't I'm not fussed. Still working the kinks out of feeding etc.

Tat - they range from about 3-4 cm across to about 6 or 7cm across. Inland Freshwater Crabs... Too little to eat, I figure.

They're great but they're also good at hiding... I'm trying to put a filter into the water side, but it's proving harder than I thought...

They're great but they're also good at hiding... I'm trying to put a filter into the water side, but it's proving harder than I thought...

nice crabs, did you pick them up at the vet ball :p

Hahaha nnnooooo why? Hahaha.. how did you know that was on the other night? Or was it a lucky coincidence?

Hahaha nnnooooo why? Hahaha.. how did you know that was on the other night? Or was it a lucky coincidence?

hahah i was invited but didn't go, althoguh i did have a lot of wasted fun at the after party last year. i was going to say at one fo the smoko's but the vet ball was convienently recent

Someone is particularly well-versed in the vet school social life! Vet ball was off the hook. Got to bed at about 5.15am..

Anyway... Crabs.

Someone is particularly well-versed in the vet school social life! Vet ball was off the hook. Got to bed at about 5.15am..

Anyway... Crabs.

possibly because i attended the university last year and it is sorta token when in the vet school you go to the functions:p well for the fun people anyway. hahah nothing beats fac day though. bobing for a chuppa chump in dog food is somethign i will never forget plus feedign a blind folded person cat food is always fun.

but yes crabs. im sure they msut have some sort of cream that will help you :p i'd stay away form the second years from now on hahahhahahahah

but yeah on a serious note the crabs are cool, did they end up spending most of their time in the water?

Yeah they're all in the water, I think because I can't find any of them! Wasn't home last night, but mum said they were scrabbling around alot so perhaps they come out onto land for the night, and spend the days in the water...? I'm still working out feeding and stuff... Really want my filter to work because the water is going to get filthy quickly.

Cool, I wish i had crabs now :lol:

A sponge filter would be the best option(also need an air pump) IMO http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/sponge_filters.php

Seems like the do like spending a fair bit of time on the land. I would be interested to hear more about their behaviour etc. after they have settled in etc.

Everyone is so excited to hear about my crabs!

cris - have bought a little sponge filter, but it doesn't have an air pump (I got the smallest as the water area is only little). I'll angle the water output up, so it stirs the surface up a little and hopefully helps aerate the water! At the moment they all sit in the water all day and hide under logs etc. At night they venture onto the land a little, but not as much as I was hoping (perhaps still a little nervous?) If I give them carrot on the end of forceps they attack with vigour! I hope this isn't a sign they're starving, 'cause the food is on the land..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back