Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemyturtle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have always been interested in snakes so i got my reptile animal keeper licence

Um i really want a snake and what would be the best snake for a beginner to start with and where i would be able to get the snake and around what price range
also sorry guys what are the snakes that are alowed in sydney?

thankyou heaps:)

I've seen some lovely placid coastal carpet python hatchlings. They get biggish eventually but by then you'll be used to handling it so it won't matter.

Murray Darlings are the most placid snakes i have, even my kids can handle them no worries. Also darwins are pretty placid (well mine are anyway)

you need to decide what snake fits you best. Size, temper colour etc etc. I would recommend looking at snake ranch website for some ideas about different species. I have an md and a blackheaded python and both are handled by my kids aged 5 and 2. My stimson is slowly getting handled by them. Research research research because there are good and bad of each species. You need to be happy with your choice not joe blow on a forum. But forums are good for extra pointers. Murray darlings, bredlis, womas, spotteds, stimsons, childrens and practically any other carpet are considered good beginner snakes.

Last edited:
diamonds are generally placid too. Start with one you like the look of as all types can be bitey buggers as hatchies, some will grow out of it and others will be the same for life. As for prices upwards of around $100 for the snake. Hatchy snakes can be kept in sistema type tubs(click clacks) like this link
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

heres a link to the native keepers lists just make sure the type you are looking at corresponds with your license ie R1
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf

its all about finding something that fits into what you want. not whats "best for beginners". If someone wants a snake enough and they have done their research that person should be adequate enough to care for just about any snake on the basic license.

childrens pythons dont get real big and are generally quite placid....each has their own personality though (regardless of what breed you get) so make sure you check out the individual snake before you purchase.

Which ones do you like the look of?

Get a scrubbie. They will take your breath away.:D

do alot of research mate, go with whatever your want, some snakes are known to be dosile, some are known to be snappy. but it really depends how dedicated you are to handling the snake and stuff.
when i got my first snake i done no research on the snake i got and it sucked, the reptile shop sold me all this stuff i didnt have to have (ripped me off)
soo deffinatley do your research on what lighting & heating you will need, what substrates best, what kind of enclosure you want etc.

Last edited:
Snake ranch is g8! I got my 1st snake from them, a stimmi, and I love her!! Read as much as you can and join a reptile club in your area. That way you can talk to ppl and get i deas and ask q's! How big do you want your snake to get is a good place to start as some get very big! Read up on what you like and see if you can hold/see first hand what they are like etc.
The most important thing I can stress to you is get something you like, read up as much as you can and then read some more and talk to ppl on here etc!!! look into enclosures (size, do you need it taller rather than longer, hides, substrates, lighting and so on) heating (read up about heat cords etc heating from below as well as above, you need a good probe to check hot end temps and cold and a thermostat (some ppl dont use one others do depending but id read up on it and make your mind up) feeding (size of snake = size of food, types of food, how long can a snake go with out feeding: why is my snake not eating is a very common q's asked from newbies so Id read up on that just in case! helped me out!) find a vet in your area who deals with reptiles as some do not! look at shedding and what you may need to do to help, all so look in to quarantine just in case you need to and cleaning products. Id all so go as far as to say ask on here before you get an enclosure to make sure its ok as I got mine through a pet store and was told it would be fine....... ive had to do some mods to it so its cost me more $$ than Id wanted!!!!! And Id look into making a click clack (check out the DIY section on here for more info) you may need it if you get a young snake or even a place to put your snake when your cleaning your enclosure! Wished Id been told this right from the start :?

For me I wanted something that didnt get to big and was a bit older as I could see she had been feeding well, had been through sheds and her 1st winter with no problems.

Get more than 1 persons advice so you can make the informed selection on what is best for you. Trust your gut and go with what you know you can deal with. Dont rush it! And most of all enjoy!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

what ever you get, promise me you wont get a heat rock!!! I was "new" and was sold one and i burnt my little friend :(

Up to you what you want mate, my first snake and my only for the foreseeable future is a Jungle Python which are renowned for being bitey. Nevertheless, I handled a few and found a really placid one who is now my little Wasp. Go with something you love and search until you find one that has the temperament you like!

Yep - I'm with Maximum, First time python owner and started with a Jungle owner too. He can be snappy if I disturb him in his enclosure, but a pleasure once out. Love him to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back