Ideal basking rock temperature for EWDs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudgudgeon

Reaction score
I am making a basking rock for my EWDs using a heat chord and a slate tile.
What is an ideal temperature for my water dragons to bask on?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

I am making a basking rock for my EWDs using a heat chord and a slate tile.
What is an ideal temperature for my water dragons to bask on?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Lizzy (our House Lizard who is a very friendly female EWS) loves hanging out on my Telstra ADSL2+ 2Wire Modem's transformer (I've checked the temperature of it with a handheld pyrometer and it runs at 36C.

EWS and EWD like the same kind of environment I think.

Attachments

• lizzy 13   I luv this spot.jpg
    lizzy 13 I luv this spot.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Cool :) that's good to know. I have set up my basking rock to test it to make sure the temperature is ok before I put it in an enclosure. It's been running for about 6hrs and the temp is sitting right at 35 degrees.
Feels nice and warm to touch, but not hot at all.

PS. Who came up with the name 'Lizzy'?

My boy has given his EWDs heaps of different names, I think they have finally ended up being 'Team Stealth Bomber'. One hunts on stealth mode, the other just bombs anything that moves :)

Last edited:
Cool :) that's good to know. I have set up my basking rock to test it to make sure the temperature is ok before I put it in an enclosure. It's been running for about 6hrs and the temp is sitting right at 35 degrees.
Feels nice and warm to touch, but not hot at all.

PS. Who came up with the name 'Lizzy'?

My boy has given his EWDs heaps of different names, I think they have finally ended up being 'Team Stealth Bomber'. One hunts on stealth mode, the other just bombs anything that moves :)

I'm to blame for naming her Lizzy. The name of Lizzy just seemed to fit and seemed natural and she seems to respond to it now (at the time I didn't know Lizzy's sex, found that out in late July when she showed up after a 3 month absense and was fat rather than skinny, and then it was confirmed on Father's Day when a baby EWS showed up and Lizzy was standing guard while it was investigating some little ants).

She's amazing and seems extremely adaptable and very cleavour. Very friendly now too and perfectly at home in close company with my wife and I. :) Lizards are great value and the best pets IMO. She adopted us and has become a fixture and extremely friendly (almost daily visitor inside our house for the last 11 months). She's very clean too, rarely disgracing herself inside on the carpet or the furnature.

I'm very fond of Lizzy now and she's got to be most spoilt wild EWS around - and I think she knows it and likes it too. Got me wrapped around her little toes she has. She took the initiative and made friends with my wife recently and has won her over now too. Cleavour girl.

I'm now working on befriending the big alpha male EWS who lives under my house and has been hanging about near my front patio and flower bed and a/c and who has been mating with Lizzy and probably fathered the baby (it's real cute little baby girl - very very shy and skittish though). He's a wonderful big prime specimen of a male EWS, very solidly built - an EWS Arnie , I've named him Scrapper because he has old battle scares all over him and he's game as Ned Kelly.
Had a breakthough with him this afternoon, gave him about dozen live and dead mealworms from about 2ft away by dropping them on the grass near him one at time, and he knew I was giving them to him.... and was looking at me after each worm to ask for another..... cheaky bugger.

On the matter of the heated basking spot, I was very surprised initially when Lizzy took charge of the modem's transformer, she absolutely loves taking siestas on it.
She is not phased by the phone ringing, only 3" away from her, and she watches you when you answer the phone and talk on it.... I was told by a Herp from the USA that 36C is about perfect for Lizzy and she proves this by liking it so much.

Last edited:
That's cool to have her come and go when it suits her :)
I feel quite honoured by her choosing to spend time with us, and contrary to the opinion of some people who say she's only coming inside for the food I give her, she frequently visits just to hang out with me (either on the transformer or on the top of the lounge chairs (like a cat). I'm convinced by her behaviour that she genuinely likes my company. I think she knows she is safe inside with us and she now trusts me heaps and is starying to trust my wife a fair bit too.

Some have suggested I capture her and put her in an enclosure. I'd much rather have her free to come and go as she pleases, and let her have the run of the house when she's visiting and I just have to accept that maybe one day she wont return from one of her absenses (when she goes AWOL for a several days). I don't want to deprive her of her freedom.

I do enjoy hand feeding her as much as she enjoys the food treats I give her, I also like her now allowing me to tickle her under chin when I feed her. I think my relationship with Lizzy is very special and I treasure it.

Last edited:
EWS = eastern water skink

Yep but she was initially very skittish and shy and it took a lot patience and time to get her to trust me. First time I knew she was a lizard as opposed to a mouse was when I spotted her one day eating a crumb of diced BBQ chicken off the kitchen floor when I was sitting quietly reading a magazine on the lounge in November last year.

I decided to try to befriend and tame Lizzy there and then and started accidentially on purpose dropping the occasional little bit of meat from roasts etc onto a take away tub lid on the kitchen floor and quietly talking to Lizzy when ever I saw her so she got used to me being around and started associating me with food. The rest is history and it's been an amazing and rewarding journey for both Lizzy and me.

I was kinda forwarned as we had another bigger EWS visiting with us for a couple of months the year before (but I'm sure he was male as he spent a lot of time displaying and he went bazert one day when I put my wife's vanetty mirror on the floor in place I knew he'd got past go back to the laundry (he was sleeping in there under the freezer or the wash machine I think). Never saw him inside again. (Scared himself away !?!)

You can't imagine my surprise the first time I saw her on the transformer, I knew she was smart then. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd see that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back