Identification of snake please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo

Reaction score
Hi All, I found this dead snake on a bike track in the Browns Plains area (SE QLD), roughly 20cm long. Sad thing is you can see where someone has on purpose skidded a bicycle over it.
View attachment 201137View attachment 201138View attachment 201140View attachment 201139
pencil.png

I put a snake up to ID not so long ago. Looked like that and everyone said it was a keelback. I could be getting it confused with a rough scale, but yours looks similar to what I posted.

I have just been looking on google and they are very close when looking at the keelback and brown tree snake for identifying. Would this be more difficult when they are very young?

Are the scales "keeled"? I'd say it's definitely a keelback. BTS look quite different. Especially the eyes

Keelbacks smile... but you wouldn't want to get too close to an unidentified snake that could either be smiling... or not.

Keelbacks smile... but you wouldn't want to get too close to an unidentified snake that could either be smiling... or not.

Please read the post, the poor thing was dead whem I found it, otherwisw I would not have interferred or taken photos etc.

Please read the post, the poor thing was dead whem I found it, otherwisw I would not have interferred or taken photos etc.

I know, I was just saying that, Banjo.

The line between the nostril and the eye is the laureal scale, indicating a colubrid, so not Rough Scaled Snake (Elapid), but definately a Keelback.:)

It sucks mate but I would try not to worry about it too much. If it makes you feel any better there are heaps of keelbacks around! I've had to remove two from my girlfriend's place in the last two days.
I got some pretty average pics of the one from today. Unfortunately we didn't have a camera on us when we let yesterday's keelback go, it was a bright yellow/green colour. I've never seen one like it. Today's keelback was a pretty typical greyish colour, but it was super aggressive in comparison to the other's I've removed. This is just me letting today's go at a very nearby creek:

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 80
Yeah definately a keelback (for once lol)
I personally find it easy to distinguish keelbacks from roughies visually without checking the loreal scale.

We often see snakes down where we found this dead one, as there is some swamp and a creek nearby, it is great to see them but often it is just a glimpse of them as the retreat back for cover fairly quickly. Another find down the same area is large water dragons if you are quiet enough you often see them sunning themselves on logs and branches just above the creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back