Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well cris, now that you mention it, has anyone seen an inland taipan around the Bankstown area?

hit the nail on the head cris! besides when it comes down to it people will ALWAYS get what they want if the want it bad enough... some people obviously don't think that the harsher penalties will ever be realised either that or the just dont give a...

Ags said:
Thanks cris,
I guess what I am trying to say is... we didn't think things through when we brought all those domesticated animals to Oz, but we have the opportunity to be grown up and sensible about bringing some of these beautiful animals in - with minial (further) effects on the environment. Heck who wouldn't want an albino red tailed boa?? Ohter than someone who already has one!! :shock:

Im sure people thought the same thing when alot of other exotic animals were brought out to Australia.

So rather than fight the inebitable impement a system that will limit any further damage!!

And i've scored a promotion. egg to snakelet.... it only took 7 odd months! :D

I dont often hear of ppl saying "help help my tiger snake has escaped".

Your right, thats because those people have strict guidlines to keep venomous snakes, so that by any chance one does escape, it should still be in the concealed room that the rest of the venomous snakes are in. And one thing that peeves me of the most if people saying "But we will get all these bad diseases from imported animals" MOST OF THEM HAVE BEEN BRED IN AUS! sure they ,ay be able to have a dieses not in aus but unless its gone through several generations there isnt much of a risk!

I think you are right MrSpike. I've not kept venomous before nor do I keep in contact with people who do, but if you are right in that those animals are kept in a controlled room then there is no reason that the same idea can't be adopted for exotics. If people want them that bad legally, then they would follow those guidelines - I know I would.

One main condition i would think there should be on an exotics license is that you have to have several years experience with keeping native reptiles and a hefty fine if one is lost. But i say if we can only keep native reptiles, bird keepers should only be able to keep natie birds, same with fish keepers dogs cats etc etc etc

Im sure people thought the same thing when alot of other exotic animals were brought out to Australia.
I dont think there is any link between the two myself, most(not all) feral animals we have today were introduced into the wild intentionally for a specific reason we are not talking about releasing animals into the wild or lettting them roam free as cats currently do. Its about letting ppl keep/import exotic herps in a controlled situation order to reduce the negative impact keeping them illegally has.

Then again we could just ban illegal reptiles :lol:

I hope it never happens!
NPWL told me one reason is & the most reason why, is it will affect the live stock industry.
The cost to our primary producers & government will allways win before a few herpers that want them as pets.
There is heaps of risk with disease & parasitics & worms plus many other nastys.
Sure I would love a few Exotics to keep but comensence says no way.
We dont need them anyway.
I keep 21 differant species of Australian reptiles & would love to keep heaps of the other NATIVE species, but I can only keep so many at a time.

What would some off you guys do next?
Breed Red-Tailed Boas with Carpets?
Corns snakes with Childrens?

Jason

People want what they can't have, or what is rare, or what is hard to get.
When these people have money, that means there is a market for these things.
I belive this new licence you speak of which is only given to the most experianced, with enclosures within enclosures (like inside a sealed room) would be great, but its never going to close this market, only make these snakes avaliable to the people who wish to legitametly obtain one. its never going to close the market, or stop these non-native reptiles being bred in oz, just like the whole class 1 licence doesn't stop people who shouldn't have snakes and whatnot, obtaining them, but it gives us the chance to legally obtain one.

I can see your point Jason. You're basically saying that it isn't cost effective for them to implement it.

Which means that no matter how much a freaky snake keeper jumps up and down they won't do it cause it is no benefit to them. With the outwards message of sorry we can't do it due to effect on native flora and fauna.

There is heaps of risk with disease & parasitics & worms plus many other nastys.
Yes there is now while no imported animals are quarantined(except for zoos).

Breed Red-Tailed Boas with Carpets?
Corns snakes with Childrens?

WTF Thats like breeding apes with humans, AINT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I'd start importing GTP's if they made exotics legal, just think how much you could make before the price rapidly drops to the $300 they're worth everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back